April 24, 2024, 09:28:13 AM

News:

Brake Service - Simple Tool Tip

Started by Molly, December 28, 2019, 05:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly

December 28, 2019, 05:35:54 PM Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 05:45:09 PM by FSG
Servicing the brakes on my '08 RK and, as usual, had to look around for a way of getting the pistons to retract after I'd cleaned them. I keep my guitar gear in the garage and spied a capo on the bench. Worked a treat!

I don't know how to add pictures, sorry. Hope it's alright to provide these links. The other day I asked about sourcing a factory manual and the post was deleted so I'm guessing it's easy to offend here...

Hossamania

Good job using what you have. Never would have thought of that, mostly because I've never used one. Or a guitar.
I use a C-clamp to squeeze them back in.
Your post probably got deleted not because it offended (maybe...), but because it was posted in the wrong section.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Coyote

Pushing just one puck in could have the undesired action of pushing the other puck completely out.

I find it easiest to just use the old pads and push both pucks in at the same time using a LARGE flat blade screwdriver, inserted between the pads and twisted. ymmv

Hossamania

Quote from: Coyote on December 28, 2019, 05:53:32 PM
Pushing just one puck in could have the undesired action of pushing the other puck completely out.

I find it easiest to just use the old pads and push both pucks in at the same time using a LARGE flat blade screwdriver, inserted between the pads and twisted. ymmv

I've done that too. I should have mentioned, when I use the C-clamp, I use the old pad to push both pistons in at the same time.

kd

.... after making sure there is room in the master cylinder reservoir to accept the fluid that you are pushing back up the line.   :crook:
KD

FSG

I pump them out against a paint stirrer for shoe-shine cleaning with a boot lace

same paint stirrer allows the twist/push/rotate action to get them back into position so that pads can be inserted and the caliper put back over the disc

Molly

Disappointingly, I still have brake binding issues. My rotors are out of spec I'm sure so that's not helping I expect.

When I bought the bike the seller had to fit new pads to get it through inspection. I figured he'd just done the job as fast as he could and that by forcing back the pistons without cleaning them he'd created a sticking / binding problem that resulted in a pair of nicely warped rotors. Maybe. Either way I don't want to fit new rotors if it doesn't cure the problem (expensive experiment).

Off out to the garage to take another look. I kind of enjoy this problem solving in a perverse sort of way. I guess most of us do. All part of getting to know the bike.

Coyote

klammer76

Quote from: FSG on December 28, 2019, 07:05:57 PM
I pump them out against a paint stirrer for shoe-shine cleaning with a boot lace

same paint stirrer allows the twist/push/rotate action to get them back into position so that pads can be inserted and the caliper put back over the disc
:up: Same here.

Rockout Rocker Products

My experience with warped rotors is the opposite of binding... The rotors knock the pads back into the calipers as they spin.  :scratch:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

kd

KD

Rusticwater

I've used stacked door shims to make an adjustable spacer or to pry things apart.

[attach=0]
Support the Maine lobster industry

rbabos

Simple tool and works good to shift v rod engine to replace the left engine mount.
Ron

1workinman

Quote from: Molly on December 28, 2019, 07:19:18 PM
Disappointingly, I still have brake binding issues. My rotors are out of spec I'm sure so that's not helping I expect.

When I bought the bike the seller had to fit new pads to get it through inspection. I figured he'd just done the job as fast as he could and that by forcing back the pistons without cleaning them he'd created a sticking / binding problem that resulted in a pair of nicely warped rotors. Maybe. Either way I don't want to fit new rotors if it doesn't cure the problem (expensive experiment).

Off out to the garage to take another look. I kind of enjoy this problem solving in a perverse sort of way. I guess most of us do. All part of getting to know the bike.
I not a expert on motor cycles , I rebuilt brake calipers on heavy equipment , If the brakes are sticking I want to remove the calipers and see if I could install a rebuild kit , flush out old fluid . The warped rotor I want to replace it . On my Road Glide it has a after market wheel and there was a problem with the caliper not being center proper so I changed the spacers or really machined some to place the caliper in a better position not a big deal . Seems to work ok now

motorhogman

Quote from: Coyote on December 28, 2019, 05:53:32 PM

The only way I do it,  :up:
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

fbn ent

Quote from: klammer76 on December 28, 2019, 07:40:20 PM
Quote from: FSG on December 28, 2019, 07:05:57 PM

:up: Same here.

:idea:   I assume this will work with any dual piston caliper? I'm going to try this next time...... :baby: :up:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

speedzter

Time to pull the calipers apart. The last set i did had some very hard residue on the pistons.
With 10 years on them, probably worth new seals anyway.
Not sure on the parts availability though.

[attach=0] 

FSG

QuoteNot sure on the parts availability though

visit your local KTM Bike shop, they use Brembos and have all the seals, o rings and pucks you need

barny7655

have you looked at the master on those brembos mine is 5/8th bore brembo, make sure the actuator pin on the lever is the right way around,and has free play,and right fluid used? some will debate this fluid issue ,i use easy bleed nipples ,then tie off handle over night , cheers
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

Molly

Thanks for your help and advice guys.

As I mentioned, the seller needed to get it through an inspection before I collected it. I've just pulled the pads again and they're:

GOLDfren KBA60878

Quick eBay and they seem to be pretty cheap pads. They come with backing plates to presumably reduce noise (by God, they were noisy though - not a hint of copper grease anywhere). Anybody know anything about this brand? Never heard of them.

I've pumped out each piston one by one and given them a thorough clean. It's late here now so I'll reassemble tomorrow. I'd just feel happier if the pads didn't drag so much on the rotors. Wondering if the extra space of the backing plates would make things unusually tight.

Will sleep on it.... Thanks again.

Hossamania

What kind of backing plates are you talking about? I've not used any, just the pad installed, no anti-squeal grease or stick-on pads.

HarleyHiwayMan

I'm with Coyote. I push the pucks in with the old pads, I thought everyone did.
Flatland Charley, Lazy Photographer
Ride with an attitude!!

fbn ent

Quote from: Hossamania on December 30, 2019, 03:06:00 AM
What kind of backing plates are you talking about? I've not used any, just the pad installed, no anti-squeal grease or stick-on pads.

I have seen those plates Hoss. Mostly on metrics with stock pads.

Molly.....you can get silicone for anti rattle. I have not tried it but IIRC it is in some HD manuals. If the thickness of the plates is the issue the "glue" might be the answer....
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

SE Road King

Molly, Great workaround, I use cheats wherever possible. Check this one out:
I have two chisels from a snap-on, as part of a set I purchased back in the '70s that are tapered along their length. When I pair them up in opposite directions, insert them into the caliper and push them lightly together they compress all 4 pistons at once, and they do so in a very near parallel fashion. Anyway, I've been using them more often for this lately than actually chiseling on anything. LOL

PS. On the Factory manual thing, it most likely got pulled because of the myriad of workarounds that may have surfaced in response to your question. Internet shares of HD copyrighted documents will promote dishonesty. To be the best that HTT can be, they always want to be Lilly-White, when it comes to copyrighted materials. Which is a good thing when you see the amount of service information this forum is able to provide. (Always properly credited)
Bottom line, everyone knows where to get Official Harley Davidson Publications. It was not personal.
Cedar Creek Lake, Texas
Rock Stock 2017 FLHR, Vivid Black

Molly

Quote from: speedzter on December 29, 2019, 04:42:56 PM

Time to pull the calipers apart. The last set i did had some very hard residue on the pistons.
With 10 years on them, probably worth new seals anyway.
Not sure on the parts availability though.

[attach=0,msg1328222]

Bought a seal kit (Cycle Pro LLC 19258M) but struggling to get the pistons back in. It's incredibly tight and just binds-up. I've checked for a chamfer but there's no measurable difference. If I put them in one way or the other I reckon I can feel a lip on the inner edge as should be the case. I'm just lubing them with brake fluid but did see one YT video where the guy was using dielectric grease.

Any thoughts? Just fitted a brand new set of rotors and can't afford to have these brakes bind-up on them once they're assembled. Man, I've so many hours in this job now. You'd think it'd be straightforward.

Thanks in advance guys.