April 19, 2024, 10:18:38 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

16 inch apes

Started by bingo91799, December 29, 2019, 04:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingo91799

need help on clutch cable an throttle cable lengths for 16 inch  on 01 rk    if anybody knows , thanks in advance.

JW113

When I had 16's on my RK, I used HD p/n 38602-92, which was the stock cable for a Dyna Wide Glide. The length is 69", which I believe is about 4" over stock RK. Fit perfect for my '04 RK.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

The last time I bought a clutch cable for my '01 RK it was 71" or 72". Can't help on throttle cables.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

If you don't get concrete answers, (and remember that 16" handlebars can be different widths and require slightly different lengths) you can mock up your bars temporally by keeping your old bars hooked up and laying on the tank (protected by blankets), install the new bars, and use some string to determine the lengths, order the cables, and then no downtime when you do final assembly.
I don't know if you've done bars before, but it takes me about 8 hours, and I've done a few (too many). To get the wires through the bars, stagger your connectors and use some lube. I prefer Klein spray lubricant made specifically for installing wires.
Don't forget to order a tranny gasket and tranny oil.

bingo91799

thanks hoss I was about right on the measurement , good advice on laying old bars down an measureing new lengths thanks.

Hossamania

Of course, laying the old bars down isn't as easy as it is on the Softail, the whole nacelle has to come apart, but I've got that down to less than ten minutes.

JW113

I was able to use the stock throttle cable, just had to route a little differently in the nacelle. Same with the wires, but have to pop them off those clips that hold the connectors, and tie wrap them to the bars. The front brake line definitely needs to be longer, but I replaced the hard lines with stainless steel flex anyway.

By the way, no longer have 16s on it. If you ride without a windshield (like me) anything over 75mph will kick your ass in short time. In a head wind, forget about it. A real challenge to stay on the bike without sliding off the seat. Especially in the lower gears with full throttle, at least with my bike anyway. But around town, they're a real hoot. They make lane splitting infinitely easier.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

bingo91799

I have a friend that has a set of 16 inch burly bars I can buy cheap, the pullback is 13 inches , is that more than normal, he said he bought them an just never used them .

Hossamania

Seems a little far, I thought maybe 7 or 8 was normal, maybe try and post a picture.

bingo91799

[attach=0]  [attach=2]  [attach=2]  [attach=2]

Hossamania

They look pretty normal, but you won't really know until you mock them up and see how they feel. Different  bars have different angles, what works for some riders doesn't work for others.
The way you are measuring the pullback in the first picture isn't really the pullback, it should be measured from the floor up to the bend, basically measuring a right angle from the end of the handle to the bend.
I like to run my hard pushed forward a bit, but this did not allow the quick release windshield to clip on. If I put the bars so that the shield fit, I hated how close to me they were. I ended up making a couple of brackets out of bar stock that pushed the shield forward enough for me to set the bars. Not quick release anymore, but only two bolts to remove and off it comes, takes a minute to remove or install.

bingo91799

[attach=2]  [attach=1]  [attach=0]

bingo91799