2016 Dyna transmission worn out after 25,000 miles!

Started by Scotty, January 22, 2020, 01:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Just had a phone call about a 2016 Dyna transmission that went into a dealer for a problem and the owner has been told the transmission is worn out after 40,000 kms or 25,000 miles.
What could be worn out that they want to replace the whole cassette?
No gears are broken and it had a 2nd gear not catching properly and spinning like in neutral then suddenly catching.
I would have assumed a broken dog gear or something but a complete replacement seems a bit extreme.

markymark

I am going through a similar situation with an 07 FLH. There was some damage to the countershaft and it was discontinued. The replacement was the entire unit.

kd

Probably cheaper too.  That is unless you do your own work.  A cassette change is a quick job at a dealer that does lots of them.
KD

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

PoorUB

January 22, 2020, 05:50:11 PM #6 Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 08:36:09 PM by PoorUB
How many hours would it take after the guts are pulled to disassemble, inspect, replace worn parts and reassemble?

My guess is it is not much more money to just drop in the assembly, plus it puts the responsibility on HD if it fails immediately. I also wonder how many techs can do a proper transmission rebuild and gt it right?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

:agree:  That's kinda where I am coming from too.  It's already at the dealer and it appears the owner wasn't prepared to do his own work anyway, so it's a good fit.
KD

Scotty

My main point is though is it is worn out with what I see is a very small number of km's/miles  :turd: 25,000 miles
$2300AUD for the guts + labor is not a cheap thrill.
Anyway it is what it is for him I suppose those are the breaks.

1workinman

Quote from: Scotty on January 22, 2020, 06:32:46 PM
My main point is though is it is worn out with what I see is a very small number of km's/miles  :turd: 25,000 miles
Is there a root cause of the low miles and transmission failure if so I would like to know what it is thanks

kd

Quote from: Scotty on January 22, 2020, 06:32:46 PM

:doh:  I forget about the cost of these things in Auz.  We have a similar problem in Canada with everything Harley in US dollars.   :banghead: 

He can keep his parts and learn how to do a rebuild or get a parts and labor estimate then make his choice.  Maybe a take out trans off ebay if he doesn't feel competent or have the tools.   I priced transmissions on ebay and they seemed reasonable if you feel lucky.  Some are from trusted sellers and are a reasonable risk.
KD

PoorUB

I doubt the whole transmission was worn out. Second gear and the shift dog probably needs to be replaced and a few other odds and ends. If one of us did it we could rebuild it for a couple hundred $ and a day in in the shop. But like my other post, the dealer is not going to toss a couple parts into it and button it up. It would get a full disassemble and check over and reassemble, even though everything else might be fine. Cost of parts versus labor, considering warranty responsibility down the road, plus the ability of the tech. The dealer can toss a tranny assembly in in 3-4 hours, probably another 2-3 hours to do a total rebuild, plus if the dealer rebuilds and it fails he is responsible versus buying the assembly from the MoCo and if it fails they can blame HD and squeeze warranty from them. Also it is faster for the dealer to toss in an assembly and he makes more money for the time spent. He gets done faster and on to the next job.

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Scotty

Quote from: 1workinman on January 22, 2020, 06:40:59 PM
Is there a root cause of the low miles and transmission failure if so I would like to know what it is thanks

That is what he is going to his dealer about today because it was a phone call he got yesterday.
I live to far away to do the job for him so it's either one dealer or one indy to choose from for him.