April 19, 2024, 08:53:17 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Exhaust Balance Delete?

Started by Fritzables, December 31, 2019, 06:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fritzables

Happy New Year To All,

I have a 2014 WideGlide which currently has a D&D 2-1 on it, with Air Filter obviously  :SM:
I have tunes this with the TTS system.

I now want to have I put to make the Wide Glide more retro, if that's the correct word to use.
I have a new 2014 Super Glide Staggered Exhaust and loves the way it looks.
I have also bought the S&S Grand National Slip-Ons to go with it.

I am going to have the Butterfly Valve removed by an exhaust shop.

While I'm at it, I may also thinking of removing the Balance Pipe which is between the two headers.

As we tune the cylinders separately - is there any point in leave the Balance Tube in place?

Pete

rigidthumper

The balance tube allows more exhaust volume, with less sound- it does help, a little bit.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

speedzter

Is there a reason you want to delete the crossover ?

Fritzables

G'Day Speedzter,

I am yet to bolt the pipes into place as yet, but it looks as they may interfere with the frame and rear slave cylinder push rod.

I will get a better idea over the weekend for sure.

speedzter

You would think the frames should be be very similar in that area, but we will see !!
I think the crossover over does have an effect on low/mid torque, but all depends on other factors.
I do like the look of the staggered 2-2 with tapered pipes, and they also usually sound better.

Fritzables

Hey Speedzter,

Totally agree with you.  Old school stuff !!    I thing a WideGlide with Staggered will look pretty cool.
I would have thought that the frame is going to be the same specially when the Super Glide was the same year (2014).

OK, I will leave it in place with the expectation it will fit due to it being the same year.

What I will get done though is take it down to Tranzac (not far from myself) and get them to remove the Control Valve assembly and replace with a through section.

Pete

tommy g

Just for example I went the other way on my 09 Softail. The stock inter connect they call that balance pipe, with Khromewerks HP+ slipons did very well on the dyno. A year later, same dyno and full tune the Fat Cat moved everything to the right but that balanced dual slip on worked extremely well.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

speedzter

All the Dyna's of that year have the same frame part number so should be good.

Wow, Tranzac still in business , think I bought one of their 4-1's for a Katana way back !

Fritzables

Yep.......   Tranzac & PipeMaster are still around.
I was just as surprised.

Got Monday thru Friday off so will head down there. Only about 5K away.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Balance Tube stays. :-)