March 28, 2024, 12:38:30 PM

News:

No Rebound springer front suspension

Started by aalsalem, January 11, 2020, 10:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aalsalem

Hi, i have a 2009 softail cross bone and the bike has no rebound on the front suspension or very little. i checked the large retainer nuts on the rebound springs distance from the top of the nut to the top of the spring rod and it is .750 inches so am fine there.

is it time to change the spring set ? or just the rebound spring ? if so dose anyone know what's the best to go with ?

thanks

JW113

Did you buy it new? Is there any chance somebody put a lowering kit on it?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

aalsalem

Quote from: JW113 on January 13, 2020, 06:39:36 PM
Did you buy it new? Is there any chance somebody put a lowering kit on it?

-JW

yes i have instilled on it the Lowering Rockers Kit, i think it doped it around 1 1/2". do you think its because of the lowering kit ? if so isn't there a way we could lover the springer with out losing ride ability ?

thanks 

Blazing Saddles

As a long time Springer rider and one with several friends who also ride Springers; I'll bet you simply over-torqued the front axle nut.

a_disalvo

Had the same problem with my 2005 classic springer! The pivot point on the front brake caliper had corrosion and was seized. Took it apart, cleaned and added a coating of never seize, problem solved. Frank

JW113

You'll have to talk to other springer owners that have done this. But in general, when making alterations to a bike's suspension, it doesn't come for free, there's almost always a compromise. In this case, it sounds like style for ride quality. A common trade off.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

aalsalem

thanks all, will take it apart and check, but will double check my axle 1st.