March 28, 2024, 02:01:05 AM

News:

bike wont start

Started by carolinayarddog, January 02, 2020, 07:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crock

If you have to replace the cables go big or go home. It's amazing the difference in cranking with good stock cables and big aftermarket ones in my experience
Crock

PoorUB

I think you guys trying to help are  :horse: . I think Carolina tossed in the towel from his last post. It maybe is not a big deal to most of us, and my bet is his indy will have it running in no time, but sometimes a person has to admit their limitations!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Dan89flstc

If you can see the ground cable bolt, you can test the ground.

Put one voltmeter probe on the negative battery post (not cable terminal), the other probe to the ground cable bolt head, engage the starter and read the voltage.

If it reads more than about .3 volts then the ground is not good.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Hossamania

Good for future info, but the op has shipped the bike off to the shop.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: Hossamania on January 05, 2020, 11:19:53 AM

He can show this thread to his mechanic, then his mechanic will know what to do... :pop:
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Hossamania

Quote from: Dan89flstc on January 05, 2020, 01:10:37 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on January 05, 2020, 11:19:53 AM

He can show this thread to his mechanic, then his mechanic will know what to do... :pop:

Let's hope his mechanic doesn't need our help!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

carolinayarddog

UPDATE; towed bike to shop, left it for a week; told them not to rush, because I did not want this to recur in the Everglades or on an interstate; he could not duplicate the problem; checked all relays, cleaned the contacts where necessary, pulled fairing to check wiring, found no issue with the ignition knob; perhaps i had corrosion on the cables (forgot to clean when i installed the new battery). As we used to say at AT&T, NTF (no trouble found) or CCWT (came clear while testing). Will hopefully NOT have any more updates.  Thanks so much for all the suggestions, especially the ones that included pics

Yarddog

fbn ent

Well, glad it's running now. :up: An answer as to what fixed it would have been a nice thing. Hope it didn't cost you too much!
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

carolinayarddog

fb, I have known my indy for over 10 years. he only charged me an hour labor

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Pete_Vit

that's great, but as you eluded to...I'd hate the fact they cannot re create or find the problem with it not starting, gives me an uneasy feeling - but that's me - best of luck  :up:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

kd

Recheck the ground wire under the rear of the fuel tank on the frame backbone.  When it comes loose it can be intermittent but causes the symptoms you describe. It's easy to access by popping the seat off.
KD

carolinayarddog

KD dont see anything that looks like a ground wire behind the tank; I did remove the cables and file cleaned the ends and made sure they were snug when I reattached them

kd

There's a wire secured to the backbone of the frame on the touring models I have looked at that is under the tank but visible with the seat off.  It comes loose and causes all kinds of problems.  It may be your year doesn't have it if you can't see it. I don't remember the newest model I've seen it on but after having problems my eye always goes to it now.
KD

fleetmechanic

:agree:
See our note in Post #7.  We've seen this on a couple of 2010 and  1- 2011 police models.  It's a flange nut and may not have a lockwasher.

1workinman

Quote from: Coyote on January 04, 2020, 07:53:31 AM
I'm not sure but you may be able to access the ground lug by just removing the chrome cover on the starter. If not, removing the starter is only two bolts and the battery cable which needs to be checked anyways.

[attach=0,msg1328835]
This starter is similar to the one that is on my Dodge truck 5.9 cummins as far as the way it made . I have in the past pulled off the solenoid cover and cleaned the plunger and the contacts before when I was having starter problems . In the past I have slivered soldered the contacts and refaced them back when now days I just replace them . Checking the voltage of a circuit  under load is what way I prefer to do it . The bigger cables is not a bad idea on a big high compression motor also

carolinayarddog

If someone can direct me to a tutorial on how to post pictures, i will pull the seat so that someone can point out that ground wire there; tried doing a search on here but no luck

kd

Take the picture and put in a file in your documents.  Click on the Add Attachment and browse. that'll allow you to chose that file and click on the pic and it will load.  From your phone you browse your photo file and click on it and it will load it. 

If you have the seat off you will see the flange nut that fleetmechanic describes just up under the tank from the rear where the seat clips under. If you see the wires going up there follow with your finger and it will end at the nut.   
KD

carolinayarddog

Finn he said he checked it; not sure to answer your question; he does have over ten years experience and I have seen him do complete frame swaps on several occasions, so...
The black ground battery cable on my bike is under the starter; I just pulled the starter cover off and tried to get to it with my socket knuckle; nope. I will likely schedule an appointment to have the starter pulled and the ground cable connection checked. I was able to determine with a long screwdriver it was not loose