April 25, 2024, 09:25:51 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

B2 Head Question

Started by Nastytls, January 03, 2020, 05:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nastytls

Does anyone make a piston to get in the 12.5 comp range for this head?

I have an engine combo that I can't get out of my head, trying to figure out if it's do-able.

Don D

Not that I am aware of, a custom would be appropriate

Durwood

Have you checked with George Bryce?

Nastytls

No, I have not. I just have this idea stuck in my head, but don't want to waste the time of people trying to run a business. If I were to move forward, it would be piece by piece over time, not a build all at once, because I know it'll be really expensive. Figured someone one here might know.

If I were to explore getting custom pistons made for a B2 ( or any head for that matter ), anyone know how that works?

Don D

Get in touch with Terry Stewart or Diamond Racing.
Diamond will have a mold and 3d model of the chamber.

Nastytls

No Cents

As mentioned...I'm sure George Bryce could help you out. Randy @ Hyperformance is another option for getting custom pistons made for B2 heads. He uses CP pistons. I'm pretty sure he could have a set made for the compression your wanting to run. He could even fit the new pistons to your cylinders for you, and even set ring gaps for easy installation.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

jsachs1

Quote from: Nastytls on January 03, 2020, 05:50:40 AM

I have an engine combo that I can't get out of my head, trying to figure out if it's do-able.
How big an engine?  :nix:
John

1workinman

If I were going to do a B2 motor I would think about a de stroked 143 that has B2 heads that is the same height as a 103 that is around 135 cubic inches .

TorQuePimp

Both CP and diamond have very accurate chamber moulds and laser scans of B2/3 heads
Best to order CP thru Randy at hyperformance as you'll get the proper dome shape instead of some cockamamy nonesense

4.4+4.5 with a slightly longer for seems to be the bell ringer for b2 headed engines....suspect nearer square would not be bad

1workinman

Quote from: TorQuePimp on January 03, 2020, 05:43:30 PM
Both CP and diamond have very accurate chamber moulds and laser scans of B2/3 heads
Best to order CP thru Randy at hyperformance as you'll get the proper dome shape instead of some cockamamy nonesense

4.4+4.5 with a slightly longer for seems to be the bell ringer for b2 headed engines....suspect nearer square would not be bad
Only guessing here but that bigger bore would pull hard on those b 2 heads and make serious hp 

HighLiner

George Bryce designs his pistons around the ring pack so you might have to adjust you cubic inches a bit.

Nastytls

Quote from: jsachs1 on January 03, 2020, 04:24:27 PM

John

It will be 124".

[/quote]If I were going to do a B2 motor I would think about a de stroked 143 that has B2 heads that is the same height as a 103 that is around 135 cubic inches [/quote]

I've considered a 143, but they seem to have some serious durability issues, and the idea of tearing apart and rebuilding a brand new 9K engine seems ill advised to me.

[/quote]4.4+4.5 with a slightly longer for seems to be the bell ringer for b2 headed engines....suspect nearer square would not be bad[/quote]

I'd love a square 131" Everything I've read says the cylinder options aren't the greatest for that combo.

My general build idea is to mimic the Zippers 110" extreme kit but in a 124" instead of a 110". RS 687 on 1.7, 12.5ish comp, well done heads, custom exhaust, etc.  The power curve on that kit is insane and nearly perfect IMO., should be over the top in a 124". Put that in my Dyna and there isn't likely anyone around here that could touch it by a wide margin.

Don D

A 3/8" stroke 131 is not hard to accomplish using S&S parts. It will run and last.
It will be well north of 9K also

pwmorris

Really depends what OP is trying to accomplish.
131" square is a great all around motor, as is a destroked 143" with B3's, making a 135".....but that is a Hot Rod street and strip, high rpm motor like my 126" with B2's.
Stock frame? Be careful on bore/stroke, and overall height of motor.
Touring?
Street/Strip?
Better to send out the heads and have a Pro builder set up the motor for desired goals.
Not really a "mail order/internet" set up.

1workinman

Quote from: pwmorris on January 04, 2020, 04:33:28 PM
Really depends what OP is trying to accomplish.
131" square is a great all around motor, as is a destroked 143" with B3's, making a 135".....but that is a Hot Rod street and strip, high rpm motor like my 126" with B2's.
Stock frame? Be careful on bore/stroke, and overall height of motor.
Touring?
Street/Strip?
Better to send out the heads and have a Pro builder set up the motor for desired goals.
Not really a "mail order/internet" set up.
Paul I only repeating what I was told the de stroked 143 had b2 heads and its is about the same height at a 103 it has a shorter stroke capable of 7 k plus . The Star motor , pretty sure it want be the only one , Now that is a high compression motor that has titanium valves ect . Your right its not mail order but since it was done it will be easier or easier to do I would think . I happy with my 145 inch and no problems so far as I took it to Colorado and rode it for several hours tank to tank several fill ups lol not a problem so . I would not recommend trying that in Dallas in the middle of the summer in stop light traffic . I don't do that crap any way 

turboprop

Seems like a lot of conjecture, what ifs and hypothesizing being done here. Have you tried simply asking the race shop at S&S if they would build you a long block TC124 with B2 heads set to whatever compression?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

kcbike

Get hold of Derek Churchwell at DC Vtwin in Perry, GA he does 131 with B2 heads.

jsachs1

Quote from: Nastytls on January 04, 2020, 02:40:46 AM
Quote from: jsachs1 on January 03, 2020, 04:24:27 PM

John

It will be 124".

If I were going to do a B2 motor I would think about a de stroked 143 that has B2 heads that is the same height as a 103 that is around 135 cubic inches [/quote]

I've considered a 143, but they seem to have some serious durability issues, and the idea of tearing apart and rebuilding a brand new 9K engine seems ill advised to me.

[/quote]4.4+4.5 with a slightly longer for seems to be the bell ringer for b2 headed engines....suspect nearer square would not be bad[/quote]

I'd love a square 131" Everything I've read says the cylinder options aren't the greatest for that combo.

My general build idea is to mimic the Zippers 110" extreme kit but in a 124" instead of a 110". RS 687 on 1.7, 12.5ish comp, well done heads, custom exhaust, etc.  The power curve on that kit is insane and nearly perfect IMO., should be over the top in a 124". Put that in my Dyna and there isn't likely anyone around here that could touch it by a wide margin.
[/quote]
The standard B-2 heads come with a 106 cc chamber + or - a few 10ths. The 124" B2 pistons for those heads have a 22 cc dome.
I got a set in that were wounded from detonation to repair. After some light welding in spots, I decked the heads .006", and played it safe by cutting the quench area .010" ( Customer didn't send the lower end and I didn't want a collision ). Re cc'd the heads, and came up with 105.2 cc chambers. Unfortunately I didn't have the new pistons to verify the 22 cc., although my notes from another job, and from S&S shows 22 cc. That being said, you can get pretty close to your target of 12.5 :1 with a little chamber work or a few more cu. in.
Disregard the head in the pic. It's a 143.
John [attach=0,msg1329247] 

Nastytls

Quote from: kcbike on January 07, 2020, 05:27:37 AM
Get hold of Derek Churchwell at DC Vtwin in Perry, GA he does 131 with B2 heads.

I did communicate with him and I found him to be an honest and upfront guy, which confirms what I had heard about him. Those 131's cost as much as I paid for my Street Bob ( the bike the engine will go in ) brand new in 2009. I can persuade my wife to let me do a lot of things, but that's not one of them, especially since this will be engine #3 for this bike.

1workinman

Quote from: Nastytls on January 07, 2020, 04:13:46 PM
Quote from: kcbike on January 07, 2020, 05:27:37 AM

I did communicate with him and I found him to be an honest and upfront guy, which confirms what I had heard about him. Those 131's cost as much as I paid for my Street Bob ( the bike the engine will go in ) brand new in 2009. I can persuade my wife to let me do a lot of things, but that's not one of them, especially since this will be engine #3 for this bike.
3 engines damn well I had some bad experiences also hopefully I past that crap now . Is there any thing left of them that might be usefully to build a decent engine

Nastytls

Definitely. It's all been from the factory cases which are perfectly fine. I would still use them for the 124.

It started as a gutless, stock 96 and I've just rebuilt in the search for more power since then. First a 107 then a 117. I haven't been satisfied with them thus far. This will be number 3 and it has to be the last; unless I win Powerball and then I'd have GB build me a bagzilla engine. :SM:

1workinman

Quote from: Nastytls on January 08, 2020, 05:46:12 AM
Definitely. It's all been from the factory cases which are perfectly fine. I would still use them for the 124.

It started as a gutless, stock 96 and I've just rebuilt in the search for more power since then. First a 107 then a 117. I haven't been satisfied with them thus far. This will be number 3 and it has to be the last; unless I win Powerball and then I'd have GB build me a bagzilla engine. :SM:
I not going to repeat the price as I think the bike was for sale and I thought it was a decent price and but I have two now but it is a track bike and I want to ride it on the street  . I would not mind having the motor say at 12.0 with 675 cam or 12.2 what ever . It makes  power and I been told it does been tested and seems to be a proven combination. My motor does ok and is good for what I want but the 135 inch motor can be serviced in the frame