April 25, 2024, 04:43:06 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

6 speed mainshaft

Started by Scotty, January 04, 2020, 12:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Is the 6 speed mainshaft with 1 thru 4th gear part of the shaft are they pressed on or forged as part of making the shaft?
Don't have one in my hand to look at and can't make any photos clear enough to see.
Wish I paid closer attention now when looking at one  :embarrassed:

markymark

Mainshaft has only 1 removable gear. Check out Ronnies HD. Look at their parts microfiche for an exploded view.

Norton Commando

Quote from: Scotty on January 04, 2020, 12:20:41 AM
Is the 6 speed mainshaft with 1 thru 4th gear part of the shaft are they pressed on or forged as part of making the shaft?
Don't have one in my hand to look at and can't make any photos clear enough to see.
Wish I paid closer attention now when looking at one  :embarrassed:

Good question. 

I can only imagine that 1 thru 4th gears are pressed on with some sort of a key to prevent rotation. Machining the gears and shaft front a single forging seems expensive and way too difficult.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

rigidthumper

It's a one piece forging, broached and machined, then hardened.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Scotty

Quote from: markymark on January 04, 2020, 05:34:53 AM
Mainshaft has only 1 removable gear. Check out Ronnies HD. Look at their parts microfiche for an exploded view.

Yes I already knew that I wanted to know if it was a one piece forging or if the gears were pressed on after but permanently.

Scotty

Quote from: rigidthumper on January 04, 2020, 05:58:11 AM
It's a one piece forging, broached and machined, then hardened.

Thanks for that...............It is what I thought it was but my mind was playing tricks on me and couldn't be positive I remembered correctly.

Scotty

Quote from: Norton Commando on January 04, 2020, 05:44:31 AM
Good question. 

I can only imagine that 1 thru 4th gears are pressed on with some sort of a key to prevent rotation. Machining the gears and shaft front a single forging seems expensive and way too difficult.

Jason

That was what I was thinking as well but appears HD do it the correct way.

Norton Commando

Quote from: Scotty on January 04, 2020, 12:12:35 PM
Quote from: Norton Commando on January 04, 2020, 05:44:31 AM
Good question. 

Jason

That was what I was thinking as well but appears HD do it the correct way.

Evidently; it sure fooled me.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.