April 19, 2024, 07:38:33 PM

News:

Time for a rebuild or ride it

Started by Justpassingas, January 05, 2020, 06:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Hossamania on January 05, 2020, 08:53:16 AM
If the tensioners and lifters have not been done, they really should be. Other than that, if you are happy with the way it runs, leave it.
But, if you really need that 110", .......
:SM:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Beave

I've got an carbed 05 RK with 250k on stock crank. I changed lifters and hyd tensioners at 100k and 200k.  Went +.005 bore at 200k.  She still runs sweet.  I have never feared nor experienced any serious issues on the road and it's been as far as Homer AK.  When you get a good one and ride it regular they can last a long time.
With speed comes stability.

PC_Hater

Ride it. Ride it until it breaks.
How often are you on full throttle wanting more?
Very rarely I think, otherwise you would have done the build years ago!

My bike is still an 88", changing down brings in all the power I need on my big heavy barge.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Justpassingas

Quote from: Beave on January 07, 2020, 10:15:12 AM
I've got an carbed 05 RK with 250k on stock crank. I changed lifters and hyd tensioners at 100k and 200k.  Went +.005 bore at 200k.  She still runs sweet.  I have never feared nor experienced any serious issues on the road and it's been as far as Homer AK.  When you get a good one and ride it regular they can last a long time.

That's good to know...the more I sleep on it that's probably the way I'll go...

Quote from: PC_Hater on January 07, 2020, 12:34:46 PM

My bike is still an 88", changing down brings in all the power I need on my big heavy barge.

I'm thinking the same thing...freshen it up and ride it till it breaks.

I'm not often on full throttle but if I had it I'd certainly use it...it's more of a want  then a need.

For Duty and Humanity

PC_Hater

Quote from: Justpassingas on January 07, 2020, 02:44:00 PM
Quote from: Beave on January 07, 2020, 10:15:12 AM

That's good to know...the more I sleep on it that's probably the way I'll go...

Quote from: PC_Hater on January 07, 2020, 12:34:46 PM

I'm thinking the same thing...freshen it up and ride it till it breaks.

I'm not often on full throttle but if I had it I'd certainly use it...it's more of a want  then a need.

Same here!
At 63,000 miles I am waiting for the rattles to start and the bike to start using oil so I know it is time for a rebore and a valve job.
And some nice head work. Not going to 95" though.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

smoserx1

If you have the $$$ now but are afraid in 2-3 years you won't, consider putting that money into a special bank account and forget about it for now.  I know you are on the fence about it upgrading but seem to be satisfied with your ride the way it is.  I ride an almost antique EG now (1999 with 212K on the clock) and I did not buy that bike to be a tire shredder, I bought it because I like the way an EG looks and always wanted one since I was a teenager.  If I wanted to go fast (and perhaps die younger) I would have bought a rice burner for half the cost.

I give my bike regular oil changes but I do not go OCD on maintenance.  Obviously I did not get this mileage out of the original valve train.  The cam stuff was replaced on a good will type warranty after a cam bearing failure at 34K.  Lots of folks said my engine would grenade from contamination...but it never happened.  I did 203 cams and new tensioners at 110K and later Andrews 21 conversion cams and hydraulic tensioners at around 150K.  Finally at about 178K I did a top end job to fix a cylinder base oil leak and went with 95 inch jugs, flat top pistons and low mileage used stock heads.  All this work except for the original 34K service I did myself.  The crank and tranny gearset have never been apart, so yes these motorcycles do last.  I would do the cam chest service, put the extra money in the bank and ride on.  your call.

hihosilver

did my 07 at 150,000 thought I heard noise, everything original, it was so clean it would have gone another 50,000 easy
hihosilver- road whore

locker55

I think the whole bike needs to be thought about here. When a lot miles are on the clock it's just not the motor.
the health of everything is a factor. Put a new motor on a high mileage everything else is not looking at the whole picture.
If not going to have funds in future then maybe invest funds now and with growth get a all new or newer whole bike later.
A high mileage anything can Nickle and dime you to death.
And if we do it right we don't want that when retired and on a fixed income.
It's a shame I see many customers in my job that are retired and didn't do it quite right and now their homes that they worked for their whole life's are falling apart round them because of money....O the roof leaks but it has a new hot water heater..... same thing with the bike.
Just another way of looking at it.
Don't fix what's not broke, that money can and will be spent else where....lol 

Justpassingas

UPDATE: Dropped the bike off at Hillside in February and just picked it up.The crank had .012 runout so at that point I was all in. Went with a S&S crank and bored it out to 107. 117 was an option but decided not to bore cases out. StgII heads with Woods gear drive cam. The final #'s 121HP  127TQ...Dyno sheet is posted in dyno section...I only have about 100 miles on it so far but very happy with the outcome. Worth the 5hr/300 mile drive.  :SM:
For Duty and Humanity

Leed

Cool!  That sounds nice.  Enjoy the "new" bike... :SM:

Hossamania

And after sitting in their shop for 5 months, I'm sure they were glad to see it go!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Justpassingas

4 months but who's counting...for some reason my dyno sheet didn't get posted...oh well
For Duty and Humanity

Buglet

Looks like Hoss was trying to count, maybe he should use the new math.

Hossamania

June 12, 2020, 09:51:54 PM #38 Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 10:03:22 PM by Hossamania
220, 221, whatever it takes...
And they're still glad to have it out of the shop, 5 months, or only 4.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

TorQuePimp

Quote from: Justpassingas on June 12, 2020, 02:04:46 PM
4 months but who's counting...for some reason my dyno sheet didn't get posted...oh well

Sheett was probably STD

Dodgy

Doing exactly the same now. Picked up a 4.375" crank,  some 110" cylinders, have some worked 110" on the shelf, S&S Hi-Comp pistons, S&S 625 easystart conversion cams, Screamin Eagle cam plate and hydraulic tensioner kit, S&S G Series. Just about to pull the motor and bore the cases. Trying to make a sleeper, but the sound might give it away when finished. Should be able to fry a tyre.