March 29, 2024, 05:41:07 AM

News:

Reusing primary gaskets

Started by dirty jim, January 05, 2020, 11:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirty jim

I'm changing out the inner primary on my '15 fxdl. I remember reading, that if careful you could reuse the gasket between the inner/outer primary. What about the one between the inner/engine case?

Hossamania

I would definitely use a new gasket for the engine to inner primary case, no way I want to replace that if it leaks trying to save $30 or whatever it costs. If the outer leaks, no big deal.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Nutoy

I have reused that gasket as long as the rubber is bonded to the metal ring good and the rubber is not hard. also to make sure it does not leak brush a thin coat of right stuff sealer to the sealing surface of the inner primary and engine case.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

You will need a bolt set. And, the kit contains all the gaskets anyway. TTY Aluminum Junk!
Tom

dirty jim

Thank you all for the responses! Responsibility wins out over being a CAB! Going to dealer for more parts!!

vafatboy1

I have lost count of how many times I've reused the outer primary gasket. I take care of it when taking off......no issues.

Quote from: vafatboy1 on January 06, 2020, 03:41:13 PM
I have lost count of how many times I've reused the outer primary gasket. I take care of it when taking off......no issues.

Same here.

fbn ent

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on January 05, 2020, 06:07:37 PM
You will need a bolt set. And, the kit contains all the gaskets anyway. TTY Aluminum Junk!

Why a bolt set? I still have the original ones on my '02 RG....

Pirsch Fire Wagon

They're different Material. Pre 07 are reusable, 07 and later are not.
Tom

Coyote

Quote from: fbn ent on January 06, 2020, 03:59:43 PM
Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on January 05, 2020, 06:07:37 PM

Why a bolt set? I still have the original ones on my '02 RG....

Not the same bolt. The 6sp bikes use a bolt with a sealing washer. You shouldn't reuse them. They can be purchased individually.
The earlier bikes call for silicon to be used.

Coyote

fbn ent

January 06, 2020, 07:08:56 PM #12 Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 07:51:45 PM by fbn ent
Thanks Coyote. Haven't been in to those.

Come to think of it I did do one. Didn't have new bolts (3 hours away) so hit the cleaned seal and sealing area with a bit of RTV. Don't think it's leaked.....

rageglide

James sells 10pak of the gaskets (31434-06) for less than a set of replacement bolts (786A).  Why HD doesn't sell just the seals is beyond me... (not really, more money in a $3/each bolt) ...  Why James uses an H-D style PN is a little odd...

I've reused the inner aluminum seal many times, a light coat of hylomar blue probably helps.   When I had one of the outer primary gaskets on my Evo I never replaced it... reused it for many years, mostly because the price was so ridiculous I couldn't bear tossing it in the trash.  No issues.

PoorUB

I had the inner primary off of my 2010 maybe 3 times, never replaced the bolts. I cleaned the off, and put a dab of silicone sealer under the washer and never had a leak.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Coyote

Yeah but reusing the bolts or gaskets could result in an oil leak that would certainly get on your rear tire and cause injury or death.  :slap:

rageglide

Could, but you would need a catastrophic failure.  The long outer 1/4-20's are more likely to fail if you ask me...

Potential crash is more likely running over something that causes a flat rear tire.  Or maybe running your breather hose to the ground ahead of your rear tire    :kick:

Those seal bolts aren't stressed enough to say they are not reusable.  (I've reused the bolts and seal a couple times).    The inner gasket with a little hylomar isn't going to leak.

Coyote

You'd need a catastrophic failure to cause any real issue.

I was riding once behind a guy whose bike decided to puke oil out the breather. This was back around '02 when they were having issues. It was a stock bike. His entire right side of his bike was soaked in oil and everything behind it was soaked in oil... so was the windshield on my softail as I was riding behind him. His venting into the TB didn't help and neither would have a catch can (unless it was a gallon bucket maybe).

I've reused gaskets on my bike many times. If they leak, I can change them.

rageglide

Yeah I agree, if the reused gasket leaks, address it.  It's unlikely to puke massively.   

I've seen a lot of evo's and tc's wet the bags, rider and bike from pukage out of the breather routed to the air cleaner.  Never had the problem myself, but I also route my breathers to the ground.  Haven't gone sliding down the road yet. ;-)

Deye76

After paying over 20 grand for a motorcycle, I won't worry about a couple bucks for essential hardware.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Appowner

Quote from: Deye76 on January 07, 2020, 05:30:38 AM
After paying over 20 grand for a motorcycle, I won't worry about a couple bucks for essential hardware.

Exactly!  If you can't afford proper maintenance, might be time to find another pass time.

Had a 76 Sportster that managed to puke all its oil out from under the tank cap and down the right side of the bike at 50-60 mph.  Rear tire bead got soaked.  Tire spun on the rim decapitating the tubes valve stem.  Tire went flat very, very fast.  Still don't know how I managed to not go down.  Of course I was young and in better shape back then.

Point is, catastrophic failures can and do happen. 

I don't recall the exact reason for the above but it had to do with the in tank oil filter.  Which I fired and replaced with a frame mounted automotive type.