May 05, 2024, 10:43:04 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cleaning inside lower legs

Started by e-glide90, January 02, 2020, 03:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e-glide90

What is safest way to clean sand out of lower legs after blasting and powder coating ? Is brake cleaner safe to use around powder coat ?

calif phil

Brake clean will work fine as well as a hot soapy water bath afterwards. Then blow out with the air nozzle followed by a wipe with lint free towels.

Buglet

Do not use brake clean around power coating as it will stain it. Maybe be the cheap stuff will be ok , but the good stuff will hurt the power coating. Hot water with Dawn works the best and will not hurt the power coating.

Rockout Rocker Products

I seem to recall there's 2 different kinds of brake clean..... green & red labels maybe? CFC and CFC free? One is ok one is bad  :scratch:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Deye76

Use hot soapy water. Then the air hose. Might take a couple washings.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Rusticwater

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on January 03, 2020, 05:47:15 AM
I seem to recall there's 2 different kinds of brake clean..... green & red labels maybe? CFC and CFC free? One is ok one is bad  :scratch:

Here's one explanation. Be sure to pay attention to the part about "primary component of paint stripper."
Link

I'm not an expert, and I assume the formulation varies among manufacturers.
Support the Maine lobster industry

MikeL

I use the good ol' solvent tank to wash out the grit. Then I get some fast drying mineral spirits and spray the inside and blow dry. Brakekleen is good but my liver over the years filtered out way too much brakleen. Kinda use it sparingly nowadays.

MIKE   

e-glide90

Thanks for the replies, did the hot soapy water several times, turned out good.  This site is the best. :up: :up:

Deye76

Don't forget to clean out the threads for the fender bolts.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

JW113

A day late and a dollar short, but maybe next time...

Take to car wash and use pressure sprayer. (if you have one near you that is)

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

e-glide90

JW  great idea, may still do that just to make sure. Just so the wife can hang on to them while I spray!!  :hyst:

dynabagger

I just went through this. Hot water, dish soap and a bottle brush is how i did it. I did have  problem with the 14mm x 1.0 threads for the compression adjusters. Its a FXDX fork. Almost ruined the aluminum adjusters due to the threads not being smooth. Use a thread chaser for any threaded openings.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

Admiral Akbar

I've replaced lowers or tuned 3 sets of forks in the last year. The original PCed lowers on one bike were chewed up because the original owner failed to clean out the sand residue.

I don't care for soapy water.  IMO Mineral spirits or stoddard solvent are the best.  It don't hurt PC and does a better job of dissolving any residual oil.  I clean with a blue paper towel or rag on the end of a stick. Slot the stick if round to ensure that you can push the rag to the bottom and get it to spin.  It's absolutely important to get the bottom of the hole clean so that the stop and damping rod sit square.