March 28, 2024, 06:57:34 AM

News:

0 Cylinder Decking Process

Started by Mag19, January 06, 2020, 02:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mag19

Simple question on the measurement process when going for a zero deck height and using a .30 head gasket. Was wondering if I should use a base gasket when securing cylinder down to measure and do the math and adjust accordingly with the width of head gasket. Thanks in advance

Mopower

I measure without the base gasket in place then do the math to set piston at 0 deck height with base gasket in place.

Nutoy

I always check the deck height as the motor will be run,and use shim stock to shim the cylinder the amount of the thickness of the base gasket takes out the guess work.

98fxstc

Quote from: MAG19 on January 06, 2020, 02:08:14 PM
Simple question on the measurement process when going for a zero deck height and using a .30 head gasket. Was wondering if I should use a base gasket when securing cylinder down to measure and do the math and adjust accordingly with the width of head gasket. Thanks in advance

not sure what you mean by this
zero deck is zero deck
don't need to adjust accordingly with the head gasket
the head gasket sets the squish
the top of the piston at the circumference should be flush with the top of the cylinder for final fit up
whether you get there with a trial fit with base gasket, shim stock or mathematics doesn't really matter if you do it right

Ohio HD

Well, as Mopower said, he uses math. That's not guessing.

I do it the same way.

0.0345" (piston height) minus 0.031" (base gasket) give 0.0035" above the cylinder. 0.040" (head gasket) minus the 0.0035" (piston height) equals 0.0365" squish.

No guessing.

[attach=0]

kd

See if this helps.  I check the deck without a base gasket.  I take the out of the hole measurements and try to find a gasket thickness that will 0 deck on assembly with a gasket.  If you can't find a gasket that'll do it take it to slightly in the hole and trim the barrel back to your 0 goal.

I use a tool I made like in Ohio's pic to take all of the above measurements.  I personally need to confirm the math with real life measurements before I go forward with assembly.
KD

Mag19

January 09, 2020, 06:40:18 AM #6 Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:02:20 PM by FSG
Quote from: kd on January 07, 2020, 06:38:55 PM
See if this helps.  I check the deck without a base gasket.  I take the out of the hole measurements and try to find a gasket thickness that will 0 deck on assembly with a gasket.  If you can't find a gasket that'll do it take it to slightly in the hole and trim the barrel back to your 0 goal.

I use a tool I made like in Ohio's pic to take all of the above measurements.  I personally need to confirm the math with real life measurements before I go forward with assembly.

Nice. Thanks that's exactly what I was trying confirm and get it straight in my mind before assembly. Appreciate the feedback.

Hillside Motorcycle

FWIW, the S&S kits are well below deck.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

joe_lyons

I'm just a stickler, I use an old base gasket just to be for sure.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

prodrag1320

Hillside Motorcycle

We set it up in running form, clamp-loading the cylinder in place, and then check.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

Do you use the same force clamp-loading as if the heads were torque down and reuse the same base gasket.

kd

Quote from: joe_lyons on January 31, 2020, 06:25:21 AM
I'm just a stickler, I use an old base gasket just to be for sure.

Joe, Cometic told me their base gaskets measured the same new or used.  I thought ... naah ...   I measure a new .020  and an old .020 and they were in fact the same.  I still keep the old ones for setting up but have no fear of choosing a new one if I have to now.
KD

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Buglet on February 05, 2020, 05:26:20 AM
   Do you use the same force clamp-loading as if the heads were torque down and reuse the same base gasket.

yup.