March 29, 2024, 07:21:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cylinder Base Oil leak. Shop Found This

Started by Jim Bronson, January 09, 2020, 07:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

I took the bike to the shop complaining of a small oil leak at the base of the cylinders. We thought it was bad O-rings. They called me today after tearing it down and sent me the pix. It is a tire shredder 110 kit after only about 15K miles. What could have happened? They included additional pix, but you get the idea.  :emsad:
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

rigidthumper

Why is that oring on top of the cylinder?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

86fxwg

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Mule

Looks like the piston may have been rocking in the cylinder? What is the piston to cylinder clearance   ?

kd

KD

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Mule on January 10, 2020, 05:32:39 AM
Looks like the piston may have been rocking in the cylinder? What is the piston to cylinder clearance   ?
That's what the tech said when he called. As for the o-ring, I can't answer that. He said some of the kits during the timeframe when mine was installed were defective. The clearance was never checked AFAIK. I'll be going to the shop today to discuss options with them. I'm hoping the pistons and cylinders are available separately. BTW it was installed by a dealer, not this shop. There's a message there I guess.

Don D

Jim Bronson

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 10, 2020, 09:44:58 AM
Hone and fix it with a kb .005 piston.
Thank you. I'll ask them about that. I don't know where there's a shop that can do the honing. (Maybe they can do it)

jls 64

js

Scotty

That o-ring would be part of the reason why you had a base leak as it goes under the cylinder on the case not between the cylinder and head.
Might want to point that out to the tech at the shop as that was a fairly big mistake.

les

Does the oil drain plug magnet have any metal on it?

Jim Bronson

There is no o-ring on the top of the cylinder. I know it looks like one, but there's no o-ring there. Both cylinders have the o-rings installed normally. The cylinder damage is pretty severe. The photos don't do it justice. The tech said any boring/honing would remove too much metal from the bottom spigot area. As it is, the metal is only about as thick as a business card. I'm having the cylinders and pistons replaced.

Scotty

Quote from: Jim Bronson on January 10, 2020, 01:33:43 PM
There is no o-ring on the top of the cylinder. I know it looks like one, but there's no o-ring there.

Well that green o-ring in the photo must be an illusion then.
There might not be one there now but there was when the photos were taken and that is quite clear and it should not be there.

tomcat64

There were some early stage 5 110Kits that had improperly gapped top rings.. we had one here. Fortunately mine was not one of them!

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Scotty on January 10, 2020, 02:17:05 PM
Quote from: Jim Bronson on January 10, 2020, 01:33:43 PM
There is no o-ring on the top of the cylinder. I know it looks like one, but there's no o-ring there.

Well that green o-ring in the photo must be an illusion then.
There might not be one there now but there was when the photos were taken and that is quite clear and it should not be there.
:doh:  My apologies. I thought you were referring to an o-ring at the top of the cylinder wall. The tech installed the small green o-ring so he wouldn't get the cylinders mixed up while showing them to me.

smoserx1

That little o-ring (11273) was used on top (and bottom) of the cylinders in early twin cam engines.  My 1999 parts manual clearly shows it and the top o-ring was present when I took mine apart a couple of years ago.  The 95 inch cylinders I put back in contained a instructions not to use the o-ring on the top anymore.  I am thinking that the stock head gaskets were changed to include sealing material around that dowel, so if you use old gaskets or aftermarket ones could you maybe still need it?

Anyway, sorry to hear about your cylinders getting messed up.

Scotty

Quote from: smoserx1 on January 10, 2020, 04:22:00 PM
That little o-ring (11273) was used on top (and bottom) of the cylinders in early twin cam engines.  My 1999 parts manual clearly shows it and the top o-ring was present when I took mine apart a couple of years ago. 
The upper 11273 o-ring was discontinued in 2003/4 and even earlier on 95" upgrades and plenty of warnings with new gaskets to not use a o-ring.
OP has stated it was only there to identify which cylinder was which so it is not a problem.
It is still used under the cylinder though.

scotman623

Sorry to see this!!! I would be asking some questions with who originally put this motor together... Best of luck my friends....
Always look forward...

Jim Bronson

Quote from: scotman623 on January 11, 2020, 10:04:20 AM
Sorry to see this!!! I would be asking some questions with who originally put this motor together... Best of luck my friends....
I would, except the tech no longer works for the dealer. It was done over two years ago. The shop is having trouble finding replacement cylinders. According to the kit instructions, they aren't sold separately, and they don't list a part number. I'll have to ask them whether the old ones have part #s.

FXDBI

Quote from: Jim Bronson on January 11, 2020, 11:49:37 AM
Quote from: scotman623 on January 11, 2020, 10:04:20 AM
I would, except the tech no longer works for the dealer. It was done over two years ago. The shop is having trouble finding replacement cylinders. According to the kit instructions, they aren't sold separately, and they don't list a part number. I'll have to ask them whether the old ones have part #s.

Are those the 110 drop on cylinders?   Bob

Scotty

Is that the SE 110 tire shredder kit?
If it is then the cylinder part number is 16800102
The piston kit part number is 21900020