March 28, 2024, 07:37:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil out of the air cleaner

Started by Tynker, January 09, 2020, 09:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynker

My friend just installed a high flow oil pump,and a hydraulic hybird cam plate,in his 2001 touring bike. He now has a lot of oil coming out of the air cleaner. He has 40# oil pressure running on the road, and 10# at idle. could it be pumping a lot more oil to the top end faster than it can flow back to the pan ??? He lives too far from me to have a look see.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

rigidthumper

Is the oil coming past the head vents, or the valves? Did he replace the crankcase breathers? The original umbrella valves would be iffy by now.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

wolf_59

May have pinched the o-ring while installing the new oil pump

Boe Cole

I've had oil coming out of the a/c on a couple bikes and have found that it really only occurs on a long trip running higher rpm's than normal.  Resolved by reducing the amount of oil in the crank case a little (1/4 - 1/2 qt.).  What really put it to rest though was 'T'ing the head breathers to a hose going up and over the heads and then to a catch can.  The upward run of the hose really did the trick.

I don't think the epa would approve but no oil hits the ground so it should't be too much of a problem.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

RTMike

Did he run in the pump as described in the manual or just bolted the oil pump to the cam plate and install,have seen this before

jack6hd

2015 FXDL

1workinman

Quote from: Boe Cole on January 10, 2020, 10:13:20 AM
I've had oil coming out of the a/c on a couple bikes and have found that it really only occurs on a long trip running higher rpm's than normal.  Resolved by reducing the amount of oil in the crank case a little (1/4 - 1/2 qt.).  What really put it to rest though was 'T'ing the head breathers to a hose going up and over the heads and then to a catch can.  The upward run of the hose really did the trick.

I don't think the epa would approve but no oil hits the ground so it should't be too much of a problem.
:agree:

Coyote

I've never understood you guys that route your head vent hoses uphill.  :nix:

Coff 06

Quote from: Coyote on January 10, 2020, 04:17:36 PM
I've never understood you guys that route your head vent hoses uphill.  :nix:

EPA friendly....🤣.   All that dirty crap can run back to the engine 😳.       Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

FSG

Quoteinstalled a high flow oil pump,and a hydraulic hybird cam plate,in his 2001 touring bike

did he block the output port for the softail balancers on the cam plate?

kd

KD

rigidthumper

Quote from: FSG on January 10, 2020, 06:51:53 PM
Quoteinstalled a high flow oil pump,and a hydraulic hybird cam plate,in his 2001 touring bike

I would expect low oil pressure and noisy lifters at idle if that port were dumping back into the cam cavity unchecked.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

smoserx1

1. Umbrella valves installed  on bottom of breather instead of top.
2. Rocker housing gaskets upside down if removed (shouldn't have been removed) but who knows
3. Maybe engine used those old black 1 piece plastic breathers and they weren't replaced
4. O-ring on oil pump suction installed improperly (or old one reused)
5. Oil pump not aligned.

You didn't say if he cut out the pushrods and installed adjustable ones or reused the stock ones because that sheds allot of light on whether or not the breathers were disturbed.  If it wasn't doing this before the modification there is a pretty good chance something was done wrong.  If it is just a breather issue fortunately that does not require much disassembly to fix.

Tynker

Quote from: FSG on January 10, 2020, 06:51:53 PM

Did'nt know about that. Please advise. Thanks
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

smoserx1

Blocking that port is only required if the cam plate is used on a 1999 twin cam engine.

Coyote

Quote from: smoserx1 on January 11, 2020, 04:50:54 PM
Blocking that port is only required if the cam plate is used on a 1999 twin cam engine.

Care to explain that one?

Tynker

Quote from: smoserx1 on January 11, 2020, 04:37:35 AM
1. Umbrella valves installed  on bottom of breather instead of top.
2. Rocker housing gaskets upside down if removed (shouldn't have been removed) but who knows
3. Maybe engine used those old black 1 piece plastic breathers and they weren't replaced
4. O-ring on oil pump suction installed improperly (or old one reused)
5. Oil pump not aligned.

You didn't say if he cut out the pushrods and installed adjustable ones or reused the stock ones because that sheds allot of light on whether or not the breathers were disturbed.  If it wasn't doing this before the modification there is a pretty good chance something was done wrong.  If it is just a breather issue fortunately that does not require much disassembly to fix.
2001 FLHUCFI SE, pushrods are SE adjustable, rocker boxes not touched. Owner removed the rockers last night. He said umbrella valves were getting hard,and wavy. Replaced with new valves and sponge..
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

smoserx1

QuoteCare to explain that one?

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/files/assets/Cams_conversion_chain-01.pdf

Explanation is on the last page (page 4).  This is what they are talking about, right???

FSG

Quote2001 FLHUCFI

FLHTCUI perhaps , well the PM -99C shows a BOSS so no blocking screw is required as with earlier cases

FSG

smoserx1    :up:    correct

although the OP said "in his 2001 touring bike" , I thought it best to ask, maybe a true 2001, maybe not

smoserx1

January 11, 2020, 06:57:09 PM #20 Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 07:02:53 PM by smoserx1
Thanks FSG, I have a 99 and had to address this.  On the softail motors the boss actually contains a drilled oil passage leading to the balancers.  On the 00 and up non-softail engines this boss is not drilled, just a blind hole, so if the little o-ring is in place that is all that is needed.  Since on a 99 (at least on mine) there was no boss at all, oil would spray from the cam plate orifice uselessly into the cam chest possibly compromising pressure in the rest of the engine.  The Harley fix was a self tapping panhead screw and a sealing washer.  Anyway, hope that explains it to the rest.

Coyote

So its blocked and  just need on o ring on it?

smoserx1

QuoteSo its blocked and  just need on o ring on it?

It is just a dummy boss on the alpha engines with no oil passage, thus no need to block cam plate orifice if the small o-ring is in place.  In fact, if you tried to use the Harley "oil control kit" (or whatever it is called), the protrusion of the pan head screw would cause a fitment interference.

FSG

QuoteIn fact, if you tried to use the Harley "oil control kit" (or whatever it is called), the protrusion of the pan head screw would cause a fitment interference.

true BUT (always a but) one of the 'oil control kits' used a threaded grub screw that was flush when installed

BUT even with the BOSS there needs to be an O-Ring to seal off the camplate port