March 28, 2024, 05:55:17 AM

News:

Waking up a 2018 Road Glide

Started by Sinker, January 11, 2020, 02:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinker

January 11, 2020, 02:34:04 PM Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 04:19:49 PM by Sinker
I have made some other posts regarding the 2018 Road Glide I recently bought with a 107 CI engine. I got the bike because I am planning to do some longer rides in the upcoming years and the old Road King isn't ideal for multi-day trips. I finally got it out for a 50 mile first ride and am really disappointed at the lack of power. It is totally stock except for some Screaming Eagle slip on pipes. So I am thinking about doing an intake (something that will work in rain), exhaust without cats, and a midrange cam to wake it up. All of this will be dyno tuned when the parts are installed. I would like to hear what some of you think about the approach I am taking and if there are any recommendations on the components I might want to consider (what pipes, intake, exhaust). Also, is there anything else I should add to my list?
Thanks in advance/Scott

kd

You haven't included the engine size but it appears that displacement changes are not part of your question anyway.  There are a couple of sticky type thread with M8 testing (at the top of this M8 section page) that hit on what your asking and should be very informative for you.  Since the M8 was introduced, lots of dyno sheets with specs are populating the Dyno Section too.  In fact, there are so many you may need to make notes to keep track of the combinations.   :teeth:
KD

Hossamania

As kd said, start here.
https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,102329.0.html

From there, check the dyno section for more combos.

A cam, pipe, air cleaner, and tune will really wake it up!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Herko

The Milwaukee 8 platform responds very well to just a cam, exhaust, and air cleaner change with a competent tune.

"All of this will be dyno tuned when the parts are installed."

Good to see this statement.

However, don't shortchange your build with a mediocre tune.
Do the research and vetting process to get a professional and competent tune. Travel the distance if necessary.
Too often guys travel the short local path which ends up being the heartache highway of an expensive incompetent tune.
Max power Dyno graphs are only a small part of the story. Wide open tuning is the easy part.
In the tuning arena, what separates the men from the boys is the knowledge, process and implementation of tuning procedures that are applied to all of the part throttle areas.

Cheers.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

No Cents

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: Herko on January 12, 2020, 04:46:36 AM
The Milwaukee 8 platform responds very well to just a cam, exhaust, and air cleaner change with a competent tune.

"All of this will be dyno tuned when the parts are installed."

Good to see this statement.

However, don't shortchange your build with a mediocre tune.
Do the research and vetting process to get a professional and competent tune. Travel the distance if necessary.
Too often guys travel the short local path which ends up being the heartache highway of an expensive incompetent tune.
Max power Dyno graphs are only a small part of the story. Wide open tuning is the easy part.
In the tuning arena, what separates the men from the boys is the knowledge, process and implementation of tuning procedures that are applied to all of the part throttle areas.

Cheers.

This is very true.

If you want to wake it up and achieve a very good touring platform my go to is the H-D Torque Cam, Stage I and you already have the exhaust. NO other modifications are necessary. My Customers seem to like this setup compared to others. And, I've done at least 30 consisting of differing Cams.

Even if you do nothing, install the Stage IV Oil Pump. There have been two revisions since the 17 Pump was released. The up-dated Pump provides MUCH better performance and is more durable. The H-D is fine. I have also done Fueling and S&S with good results.

As for the Tune. I prefer a Mobile Dyno Tune rather than a Brake Dyno for overall good results. i.e. Direct Tune or Similar. Tuners vary. The most important decision is to identify a GOOD TUNER who understands. Believe it or not, there are a majority who don't know or understand the fine incrementalism of tuning. There are MANY out there. RESEARCH is your friend.

Another Option is a Tuning device i.e. Dyno Jet, Power-Vision, etc. I believe people here can provide a myriad of information related to these as I have little experience with their systems since I have Dyno's and prefer a Custom Tune to begin with.

Good Luck
Tom

Geezer_Glider

All above very true. Just a side note though. If you are comparing this M8 to an older twin-cam or evo and it isn't got the samr power, make darn sure it is healthy. I assume it was a used bike.
Just saying,
R Meyer

Herko

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on January 12, 2020, 07:05:17 AM
I prefer a Mobile Dyno Tune rather than a Brake Dyno for overall good results.

'Mobile Dyno Tune'...are you speaking of a street tune (tuning while riding) or tuning with an inertia only dyno on a trailer?
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

RTMike

Watch the YouTube videos on M8 cam testing that Moonshine HD did well worth the time to watch.Test 2 is on a bone stock bike. :potstir:

sfmichael

Find a really good tuner and he can advise you on a parts combo that he knows works.

So many good cams out there but it is, and always has been, a balanced approach of parts that work well together that will yield consistent and gratifying results.

Where are you located? The tuner is key, as has already been mentioned.
Colorado Springs, CO.

Sinker

I live in Central Ohio. I have used The Dyno Shop in Powell on 2 other bikes and have been happy with the results.