May 03, 2024, 02:13:34 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

softail 5 speed problems putting back together

Started by Raleigh111, March 09, 2020, 04:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raleigh111

I am trying to put this thing back together and keep having a problem.
In first gear i can't rotate the tire
In neutral i can rotate tire but both gear sets in side tranny spin.
second gear cant rotate tire
3 gear same as neutral

I have tried shifter paws every way?

What am i doing wrong??
Harleys are addicting and im out of money. Accepting donations! 120 132hp 146tq

rageglide

Sounds like you have a sliding gear on backwards or in the wrong place.   Trans not spinning at all is usually due to more than one set of gears engaged.  Does the trans spin in 4th and 5th?

You have the service manual?  It's got very clear diagram of what gear and dogs are engaged for each gear.  They also have pictures showing the assembly of the gears on shaft.   

Raleigh111

Quote from: rageglide on March 09, 2020, 04:57:47 PM
Sounds like you have a sliding gear on backwards or in the wrong place.   Trans not spinning at all is usually due to more than one set of gears engaged.  Does the trans spin in 4th and 5th?

You have the service manual?  It's got very clear diagram of what gear and dogs are engaged for each gear.  They also have pictures showing the assembly of the gears on shaft.

I did not take any gears off the main shafts. I slid it out to replace the broken return spring and slid it back in. i am really stumped and I know what you are saying.
5th spins 4 locks up

rageglide

You can only install the shift forks one way.   So the problem is likely how the drum is installed.  Install the drum in 3rd gear position, which will have the Shifter pawl (the forked piece on the shift shaft) straddling the two center pins on the drum.  Slide the forks to align with the drum.

doctorevil

i always engage the shift barrel in 3rd gear to properly align shiftforks.

doctorevil

Raleigh111

Quote from: rageglide on March 09, 2020, 06:32:03 PM
You can only install the shift forks one way.   So the problem is likely how the drum is installed.  Install the drum in 3rd gear position, which will have the Shifter pawl (the forked piece on the shift shaft) straddling the two center pins on the drum.  Slide the forks to align with the drum.

I did try third gear. When i find neutral manually then try to install the barrel in neutral I have to move shift fork closest to the primary side a little and it takes it out of neutral. I checked shift forks with a level and they look okay.

rageglide

Look at the Transmission Power Flow diagram in the service manual.  It will show you where the gears and dogs should be in each gear.   If you are seeing the 3/5 fork moving (direction unclear in your post) it's either engaging 3rd gear or the 5th gear.  Did that gear come off by accident when you removed the gear set?  Possibly you put it on backwards?  I don't know if it's even possible to fit the fork on in that scenario.

You are straddling the shift pawl across two pins vs placing one hook between pins?   It sounds like you are trying to work with the drum in between gear positions.

Raleigh111

Quote from: rageglide on March 10, 2020, 01:27:40 PM
Look at the Transmission Power Flow diagram in the service manual.  It will show you where the gears and dogs should be in each gear.   If you are seeing the 3/5 fork moving (direction unclear in your post) it's either engaging 3rd gear or the 5th gear.  Did that gear come off by accident when you removed the gear set?  Possibly you put it on backwards?  I don't know if it's even possible to fit the fork on in that scenario.

You are straddling the shift pawl across two pins vs placing one hook between pins?   It sounds like you are trying to work with the drum in between gear positions.

Here is what i did wrong. When i took the counter shaft and main shaft out i did not remove the sleeve bearing and the main drive gear on main shaft came out with everything else. When i would go to reinstall I was not getting the main drive gear seated all the way back into the bearing. If you take off the sleeve bearing it will stay in place. On one of my many re attempts i screwed up the needle bearings on the counter shaft. Pulled the tranny out and ran down to bvbob place and thanks to bvbob and Rhonda It is back in the bike and working.

rageglide