April 18, 2024, 06:39:26 PM

News:

I fired my project today

Started by Mule, January 12, 2020, 02:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mule

No weird noises the motor seems good, The carburetor  a CV goes rich right after starting, black smoke and a rich sputtering running. I had a 200 and a 50, in there ,I dropped it down to a 180 and 45 not much difference,  I shut the fuel off and it cleans up right before it runs out of fuel?? I have adjusted the float level three ways thinking the float level was too high ,but no change. I put a kit from Japan in it when I had it on the bench. I don't have a lot of experience with these  and I am probably missing something right in front of me ! Any Help would be appreciated ....

PoorUB

Check the "choke" or enrichener cable adjustment.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

What are the specs on the motor? Go back to all stock parts in the carb, needle, emulsion tube, slide. Set the mixture screw at two turns out to start. Genuine Harley Jets instead of aftermarket, 45 and 180 should be good to start. As PoorUB mentioned, make sure the enrichener cable is closing all the way, has it been changed at all? Which ignition are you running?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Mule

I did the enrichener cable check   Installed another valve spring and nut without a cable because I have a choke relocation bracket on it. It made no difference. The motor is a stock bore 80 cubic inch out of a wrecked injected road king. It had a tight rear rod, virtually no cylinder wear. I put a stock softail crank with all new bearings, Johnson Hy lift lifters ,ev 27 Cam, steel breather gear, rebuilt the oil pump , new valves, touched up the seats, honed and new rings. Running single fire Ultima ignition.. The Carburetor is an ebay special... I am stepping away from it for today...

Hossamania

Is it a genuine CV carb or an aftermarket clone ? Go to 42 and 165 or 170 jets for a stock 80" motor. I can't stress enough to start with genuine HD carb parts. After that you can start playing with performance kits. Looks like big drag pipes too, do they have baffles in them?

Mule

It's a genuine Harley  CV carb.  New Clones are cheap, I wonder if they work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Carburetor-Carb-For-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-40MM-CV-PERFORMANCE-TUNED/183260685375?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Hossamania

From what I've read here, some do, some don't. If yours is genuine Harley, not worn too badly, it should work.fine.

Scotty

As Hoss said go to a 42 - 165 to start with.
50 - 200 is wayyyyy to rich for a stock 80" Evo.
I run a 45 - 175 in mine but that is what mine liked.

Mule

it has  a 45/180 in it now ,it made no difference in the way it runs

Hossamania

Quote from: Mule on January 12, 2020, 07:32:08 PM
it has  a 45/180 in it now ,it made no difference in the way it runs

It is still rich, keep going down in jet sizes.

jls 64

Quote from: Scotty on January 12, 2020, 04:44:57 PM
As Hoss said go to a 42 - 165 to start with.
50 - 200 is wayyyyy to rich for a stock 80" Evo.
I run a 45 - 175 in mine but that is what mine liked.
Go to 42/165
js

Mule

Even the CV on my wife's sportster had a 45/190. There is something wrong with the carburetor other than jetting, I have tried multiple jet changes, and different float levels and it doesn't change.

Hossamania

Have you tried 42/165? Are you using a stock needle, jets, slide, emulsion tube, spring? You mentioned that you are using a Japanese carb kit. Which parts from that kit, is it a reputable kit? Where did it come from?

jls 64

Quote from: Hossamania on January 12, 2020, 08:15:41 PM
Have you tried 42/165? Are you using a stock needle, jets, slide, emulsion tube, spring? You mentioned that you are using a Japanese carb kit. Which parts from that kit, is it a reputable kit? Where did it come from?

Japanese carb kit??
js

WML57

Adjusting the idle mixture screw have any effect on idle quality. Is the needle installed correctly, any washers added? Is the needle adjustable with a circlip? Does the emulsion tube have a lot of holes like a stock tube, or like Dynojet emulsion tubes have only 2 (I think)?

Mule

The carb kit was from K&L supply I cleaned it out an installed the kit like a year ago. Yes I have tried the 42/165 combo with the same results. I don't have enough experience with these carbs to know the difference in needles ,emulsion tubes  etc. I haven't pulled the slide out of it yet.

Hossamania

Quote from: jls 64 on January 12, 2020, 08:25:01 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on January 12, 2020, 08:15:41 PM

Japanese carb kit??

The op listed a kit from Japan.

Hossamania

Quote from: Mule on January 12, 2020, 08:45:09 PM
The carb kit was from K&L supply I cleaned it out an installed the kit like a year ago. Yes I have tried the 42/165 combo with the same results. I don't have enough experience with these carbs to know the difference in needles ,emulsion tubes  etc. I haven't pulled the slide out of it yet.

What parts came with the kit? It's possible there is something wrong with the carb, but since you bought it used (I'm assuming), it should be completely torn down to see what's up. Is the slide metal or plastic? The needle may be aftermarket, set up too rich for your application. Tear it down to try and get as much info as possible.

Scotty

January 12, 2020, 09:39:44 PM #18 Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 11:42:10 PM by FSG
 Make sure the needle jet nozzle is around the correct way and also not missing.

[attach=0,msg1329881]

[attach=1,msg1329881]

Mule

January 13, 2020, 05:26:14 AM #19 Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:50:01 AM by Mule
I didn't check close enough! the needle jet is missing! I don't have enough experience with these carbs to recognize when a part is not there, I bought the carb off of ebay cleaned it put in the soft parts kit  and this was the result! Thanks everyone Now to find a needle jet! I assume it has to match the needle? MY BAD!

capn

Try your local dealer or indy.You never know.Stock needle jet unless unless you have a dynojet needle.

kd

..... or check the area you cleaned it in.  It wouldn't be the first time something fell into the cleaning solution and was missed.  Especially if you didn't have a manual to follow or previous experience.  :wink:
KD

Mule

I checked, but it's an ebay carb  it wasn't there to begin with when It came to me. I have some CV parts in my carburetor parts box. I have some parts from a dyno jet kit , needle ,spring ,emulsion tube , but no needle jet.  My lack of experience with these carbs caused the fail. I found a kit on Amazon with all the parts , it will be here tomorrow with Prime. I have gotten pretty good at taking it apart and putting it back together.

calif phil

I had no idea there was CV copies on ebay.    :angry:

Buglet

They being out for years. I 'am glad I have a lot of new OEM CV 's left in my stock pile. 

Hossamania

Ronnie's has parts microfiche, you can look up a carb breakdown for your year and model to help.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?make=hdmc

Scotty

14GuineaPig

This guy put out several videos on the CV carbs.  Here's a link for the first video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FmfO-mWv3Q

Mule

Parts are on the way , and will be here tomorrow ,Amazon Prime.

JW113

Quote from: calif phil on January 13, 2020, 07:56:36 AM
I had no idea there was CV copies on ebay.    :angry:

Yep. I have one. Pretty uncanny how it appears identical to the original Keihin. No issues at all with it.

Also, they make S&S and Mikuni clones as well. Can't imagine how they get away with it.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Mule

Tossed the Harley CV and put on a clone after many failed attempts to get it to run right! Fires right up and runs perfect with the clone. 45 slow jet/180 main.  The clones are different from the harley CV the jets are different and there is no overflow vent or drain screw in the bowl. It works good ... Thanks everyone...

Leed

Good to hear you've got it running! :up:

freddie_ray

Mule, nice ride. The last time I fiddled with a CV Carb was 07 when I piped my 05 WG. I followed the advise of Joe Minton, Google him. Get yourself a Mikuni if funds allow or an S&S, or locate a Stock HD CV Carb, but leave Ebay alone. That crap ain't worth the headache,

freddie_ray  :scoot:

Mule

I live in the remote foothills of Central California and this bike was built with mostly parts from ebay!  swap meets and online forums ...