March 28, 2024, 01:31:50 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S Stealth Air Cleaner

Started by mickblues, January 05, 2020, 03:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickblues

Hi im switching from an Arlen Ness big sucker and want to put S&S Stealth with larger 1" taller filter.  Im in the process of getting my bike tuned, question is it ok to have it tuned with current air cleaner then put the stealth air cleaner?

rigidthumper

Remove the doubt. Get it tuned with whichever one you are going to run on a daily basis.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

hattitude

Quote from: mickblues on January 05, 2020, 03:17:06 PM
Hi im switching from an Arlen Ness big sucker and want to put S&S Stealth with larger 1" taller filter.  Im in the process of getting my bike tuned, question is it ok to have it tuned with current air cleaner then put the stealth air cleaner?

I would say if you can wait to tune after making the change, then why not wait....??

In reality, I suspect it depends on your what your engine mods need...... On a stage I or Stage II it probably wouldn't matter..

If the one you have now is flowing all the air the motor needs, and you add an air cleaner that flows more.... I doubt it will make a difference.....

When I put a 124" crate engine in my bike, the builder said I needed more airflow than the already high-flow air filter i had for my Stage I, allowed....

So for a high HP build, that needs the extra air...  changing the air filter after the tune would make a difference and not be advised...

mickblues

Ok thanks for the reply's. I spoke with the tuner and he said wouldn't make any difference switching from the Big sucker to SS Stealth

kd

The difference may be with the extra 1" of the taller filter. I use the tall filter element and I tested my 120 on the drum with it off and no gain.  That tells me it worked well, at least at + 1".
KD

Hillside Motorcycle

There will be a difference between the Ness unit and the large S&S with the radiused entry system.
Depending on the engine configuration, 2.5-4 more hp and torque, as what we have witnessed while on the dyno.
BTW, that is the air filter set-up, I use on my personal 131".
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Johnwesley

January 08, 2020, 09:05:19 AM #6 Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 11:18:33 AM by Johnwesley
What build details do you notice a difference on. Large cube motors and small cube hot roads only, or even the mild touring builds 95-103

I guess the real answer is it depends on if the BS air cleaner is flowing enough
05 FXD superglide,98",10.6,S&S585, HPI 55/58,
WFO Larry's cnc2+, supermeg,120hp

Hossamania

January 09, 2020, 06:37:32 AM #7 Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 07:22:18 AM by Hossamania
Quote from: Johnwesley on January 08, 2020, 09:05:19 AM
What build details do you notice a difference on. Large cube motors and small cube hot roads only, or even the mild touring builds 95-103

I guess the real answer is it depends on if the BS air cleaner is flowing enough

Now you've got me thinking. I have an old style SE high flow filter on my '01 95" with headwork, K&N filter. Is it holding we power back at top end? I might have to try back to back Dyno runs sometime with it on and off to see. That's if I don't blow it up before then.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

RTMike

Just run it on the Dyna without a filter element to see if it is a restriction

Johnwesley

Quote from: Hossamania on January 09, 2020, 06:37:32 AM
Quote from: Johnwesley on January 08, 2020, 09:05:19 AM

Now you've got me thinking. I have an old style SE high flow filter on my '01 95" with headwork, K&N filter. Is it holding we power back at top end? I might have to try back to back Dyno runs sometime with it on and off to see. That's if I don't blow it up before then.

Sounds like a plan, you never know when there going to go  :sswim:

05 FXD superglide,98",10.6,S&S585, HPI 55/58,
WFO Larry's cnc2+, supermeg,120hp

Die Hard

January 14, 2020, 02:31:51 PM #10 Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 02:46:23 PM by Die Hard
I would have the S&S Stealth on there when you get it tuned. I don't how well the Big Sucker unit flows but I can tell you this. When I switched from the SE air cleaner to the short filter in the Stealth, I gained 4 HP. When I upgraded to the inch taller filter like you are going to do, I gained another 3 HP. This on a 124 inch motor.

The only downside to the tall filter in the Stealth is that it definitely sticks out there and I had to space my floorboard out to get my foot on it.
Life is too short to drink cheap whiskey.

kd

That's good info.  Did you try it with the S&S tall breather removed to see if there was anything left?
KD

hattitude

Quote from: Die Hard on January 14, 2020, 02:31:51 PM

When I switched from the SE air cleaner to the short filter in the Stealth, I gained 4 HP. When I upgraded to the inch taller filter like you are going to do, I gained another 3 HP. This on a 124 inch motor.

The only downside to the tall filter in the Stealth is that it definitely sticks out there and I had to space my floorboard out to get my foot on it.

I had a similar experience, but didn't bother to pay for a tune before switching to the S&S Stealth....

When I had my 124" engine tuned, I already had a Screamin' Eagle high flow air cleaner on my bike.  The tuner said the SE A/C would not be good enough for the 124", and said I need the S&S Stealth Air cleaner with the 1" taller filter...

They put one on, it dyno'd well, and runs real strong...

The 1" taller filter also affected how my right foot rests on the footboard, but I'm getting used to it....

kd

Anyone that ran an SU or S&S L Series carb on their slabside knuck, pan or shovel is already bowl legged on the right leg.  :hyst:  If you ever see one coming down the road at you you'll know what I mean also.  Like Die Hard mentioned, get a spacer kit for the foot board and before long you won't even notice it.
KD

Tail Ridr

I like the looks of the Ness Inverted air cleaners, though a bit pricey...it is another taller filter and I'm bowlegged enough already, though I have thought about kicking the right side board out about an inch to accommodate.  Did I say I like their looks... :bike: 
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

hattitude

Quote from: kd on January 14, 2020, 05:19:40 PM

Anyone that ran an SU or S&S L Series carb on their slabside knuck, pan or shovel is already bowl legged on the right leg.  :hyst:  If you ever see one coming down the road at you you'll know what I mean also.

Deja Vu all over again.....

You reminded me of my '80 FXS.... After I added the carb, especially on longer trips, I had to rest the right side of my foot on the highway pegs to get my leg around the carb... left a weird looking wear mark on my boots..

jmorton10

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on January 08, 2020, 04:18:14 AM
There will be a difference between the Ness unit and the large S&S with the radiused entry system.
Depending on the engine configuration, 2.5-4 more hp and torque, as what we have witnessed while on the dyno.

Hey Scott, I have a question for you.  You built a 117" motor back in 2007 for a buddy of mine.  You put on the S&S 58 MM TB & the S&S twin throat forward facing A/C.

I bought the bike from him when he was hurting for $. I blew up the 117 & replaced it with a worked over 124 S&S motor.  I reused the TB & A/C mainly because it's out of the way of my short legs & I like the look of it.  With it geared right, it runs GREAT but how much HP do you suppose I am losing with that TB A/c setup??

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/CeIlVvU"><a href="//imgur.com/a/CeIlVvU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"; charset="utf-8"></script>

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

jmorton10

Anyone that ran an SU or S&S L Series carb on their slabside knuck, pan or shovel is already bowl legged on the right leg.  .

I've run both over the years (I still have the L series S&S)

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

kd

Quote from: jmorton10 on January 15, 2020, 09:17:26 AM
Anyone that ran an SU or S&S L Series carb on their slabside knuck, pan or shovel is already bowl legged on the right leg.  .

I've run both over the years (I still have the L series S&S)

~John

I know where mine is.  It was the GAL or GBL in 1 7/8"?  I sold my stroked shovel with it on and the guy took it off.  I'm thinking about buying it back from him just to have it.  If you had a full set of jets and needles (I did and they went with it)  it was a GREAT carb if you had the jets etc and made great power.  I might not need it but I want it.  :wink:
KD

jmorton10

Quote from: kd on January 15, 2020, 10:10:49 AM
  it was a GREAT carb if you had the jets etc and made great power.  I might not need it but I want it.  :wink:

Exactly, it's just something cool to have.  My 113" Shovel ran great with it.

~John

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: jmorton10 on January 15, 2020, 09:14:20 AM
Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on January 08, 2020, 04:18:14 AM

Hey Scott, I have a question for you.  You built a 117" motor back in 2007 for a buddy of mine.  You put on the S&S 58 MM TB & the S&S twin throat forward facing A/C.

I bought the bike from him when he was hurting for $. I blew up the 117 & replaced it with a worked over 124 S&S motor.  I reused the TB & A/C mainly because it's out of the way of my short legs & I like the look of it.  With it geared right, it runs GREAT but how much HP do you suppose I am losing with that TB A/c setup??

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/CeIlVvU"><a href="//imgur.com/a/CeIlVvU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"; charset="utf-8"></script>

~John

John,
Hard to venture a guess on that. :smile:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

sfmichael

the first reply to this post was / is the correct answer  :wink:
Colorado Springs, CO.