March 28, 2024, 04:16:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

transmission

Started by david lee, January 13, 2020, 04:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

whats so different if any between the trapdoor on the first model 5 sp compared to the 86 up and is the clutch cover bolt patten the same thanks all

kd

Maybe check the part # on the gasket?
KD

turboprop

Quote from: david lee on January 13, 2020, 04:30:20 PM
whats so different if any between the trapdoor on the first model 5 sp compared to the 86 up and is the clutch cover bolt patten the same thanks all

The end covers are shaped very different. The doors are completely different but can be interchanged along with everything from the door outwards to include the cable. Not sure about the earlier doors, but the later doors come in at least two different styles, one has an 'Ear' that is used to mount the exhaust on some models. FXRs have the ear, dont know about any other models.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Dan89flstc

`99 and later trap door uses bearings with a larger outside diameter.

The inside diameter of the bearings did not change, so these parts fit on the earlier cases.

I have a `99 trap door on my `89 Softail. 
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Burnout

Didn't the first gen 5 speeds have a clutch release arm like a 4 speed?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

rigidthumper

Yes, through 1986, IIRC.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

david lee

this is what was on mine one with cable before changing to hydraulic.i want to buy a mmd reverse for my trike but they cant tell me why it wont fit the early 5 sp

turboprop

Quote from: david lee on January 14, 2020, 01:01:07 PM
this is what was on mine one with cable before changing to hydraulic.i want to buy a mmd reverse for my trike but they cant tell me why it wont fit the early 5 sp

Stop thinking early five speed. You have a five speed transmission case. That early door and pointed end cover can be updated to the newer door and rounded end cover. Easy. Parts to do so are readily available on eBay for very low cost.

david lee

Quote from: turboprop on January 14, 2020, 01:05:52 PM

Stop thinking early five speed. You have a five speed transmission case. That early door and pointed end cover can be updated to the newer door and rounded end cover. Easy. Parts to do so are readily available on eBay for very low cost.
thanks thats what i wanted to know. so the trapdoor can be updated ?. it looks like my cover has been updated when changed to hydraulic.would you agree.youve been very helpfull

turboprop

Quote from: david lee on January 14, 2020, 02:48:34 PM
Quote from: turboprop on January 14, 2020, 01:05:52 PM

thanks thats what i wanted to know. so the trapdoor can be updated ?. it looks like my cover has been updated when changed to hydraulic.would you agree.youve been very helpfull

The bottom picture in your post with the Rivera hydraulic cover has the late style trap door. So yes, it appears that your transmission has has already been updated to a newer style door.

david lee

thats what i thought but wasnt sure thanks again