March 28, 2024, 03:58:24 AM

News:

OEM pn 11031

Started by motorhogman, January 17, 2020, 04:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorhogman

Does anyone know what size these snap rings are ? Last time I hunted the local hardware stores trying to match them up with no luck..

They are the retainer rings for the cam chain tensioner.   OEM pn 11031

Drove the hour drive to the local dealer and they had none in stock.  :scratch:   Seeing my disappointment the parts guy went into the service area and after some asking around found a tech with a couple of them in his junk stash.

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

motorhogman

Well,, I believe I have found that these snap rings are Nothing special.

Took my vernier to ACE along with a used snap ring.. No luck there.

Went to Lowes and found them.. Hillman PN 881386 3/8" External Retaining Rings. Same width, Same ID same thickness. .43 cents each..

kd

Out of curiosity, what did the dealer want for them?
KD

motorhogman

January 18, 2020, 03:29:59 PM #3 Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 03:36:19 PM by motorhogman
Quote from: kd on January 18, 2020, 12:18:11 PM
Out of curiosity, what did the dealer want for them?

I don't know..  When I was there they didn't any and the ones the tech had they just gave me. 

Just for fun I checked Ronnie's parts look up...$1.49 each...

kd

246% mark-up / profit.   Not a bad profit margin.  Let's take advantage of our clients eh.   Even better when you consider they likely source them by the thousands.   :banghead:
KD

motorhogman

Quote from: kd on January 18, 2020, 04:39:08 PM
246% mark-up / profit.   Not a bad profit margin.  Let's take advantage of our clients eh.   Even better when you consider they likely source them by the thousands.   :banghead:

Worst part is my local dealer doesn't stock them.  They probably send the shop gopher to Lowes when they need them..

road-dawgs1

Quote from: motorhogman on January 19, 2020, 07:30:14 AM

Worst part is my local dealer doesn't stock them.  They probably send the shop gopher to Lowes when they need them..

If they are only used on the tensioners, and having hydraulic in place since 07 (06 Dyna), it is unlikely that any dealer would keep much of them in stock other than what's in a cam service gasket kit.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

motorhogman

Quote from: road-dawgs1 on January 19, 2020, 07:40:02 AM
Quote from: motorhogman on January 19, 2020, 07:30:14 AM

If they are only used on the tensioners, and having hydraulic in place since 07 (06 Dyna), it is unlikely that any dealer would keep much of them in stock other than what's in a cam service gasket kit.

Probably true.. why would they stock those that only covered 8 years..Now out of production for 12 years.. Some things make sense. Some don't.  They didn't even have a full set of push rod tube o rings last time i was there.., I have to order almost any OEM part for the 01 FLHT.. They call it progress... lol.. To me the 01 is a more dependable bike than anything they are building today. 

PoorUB

From my experience with dealers it they don't stock much for parts. You pop in for cams and a tune? The parts get ordered when you show up. The dealer will have common service parts, parts that fail on a regular basis. Back in 2010 you might find a replacement compensator in stock, maybe not today. Back in the day if you wanted to go from a 88" to a 95" or later a 96" to a 103" the dealer would order the parts as needed, unless they did a few a week. Today I doubt you could pop in and buy a 95" big bore kit off the dealer's shelf.

I remember doing a top end rebuild under some time constraint. Started Monday night, buttoned it back up Wednesday night and I had to order some parts, they came UPS Next Day Air. A few weeks later I was in the dealer and visiting with the shop manager and mentioned it to him. I asked if I had brought it in would they do a top end rebuild in three days. He just laughed and said one week minimum, and perhaps two weeks start to finish.

Tensioner snap rings? If they come it a kit, no reason to stock them individually, they just sell the kit when the time comes.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!