March 28, 2024, 11:21:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cam tesioner shoes again Already !

Started by motorhogman, January 14, 2020, 11:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

autoworker

If the cam chain(s)have a lot of miles on them uneven stretch due to wear on the chains will be harder on the tensioners.
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

motorhogman

Quote from: autoworker on January 15, 2020, 05:25:44 PM
If the cam chain(s)have a lot of miles on them uneven stretch due to wear on the chains will be harder on the tensioners.

Thanks,

These chains were recently replaced. They were also polished.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Admiral Akbar

motorhogman

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on January 16, 2020, 07:07:55 AM
Maybe the springs are getting weak.

That's a possibility I guess.. Weak springs allowing the shoe to bounce against the chain ?  I'm not sure how many mi on this set of springs but I'm guessing around 50,000.

They sure didn't feel weak when I retracted them.. LOL.. No way for me to measure the spring tension though.

Some where along the line of threads over the years I've read that older springs with less tension and used chains cause less wear..

Same pitting and wear marks on both shoes though..

Thanx for the reply.

Deye76

If they are Twin Power, Cyco makes them. They (Cyco) have a toll free number and are very good about picking up the phone. Might give them a ring and talk to them about the pitting.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

motorhogman

Quote from: Deye76 on January 16, 2020, 07:32:48 AM
If they are Twin Power, Cyco makes them. They (Cyco) have a toll free number and are very good about picking up the phone. Might give them a ring and talk to them about the pitting.

Thanx, I need to try and find the original packaging. I really don't recall if they were Twin Power.. I may have it some where.. I have a habit of saving old stuff like that... sometimes a bad habit.. Sometimes it pays off.. lol..  I'm just not organized about how I save it..

hogpipes1

Quote from: motorhogman on January 16, 2020, 07:58:39 AM

Thanx, I need to try and find the original packaging. I really don't recall if they were Twin Power.. I may have it some where.. I have a habit of saving old stuff like that... sometimes a bad habit.. Sometimes it pays off.. lol..  I'm just not organized about how I save it..

Check your credit card history if it was used  for payment.

motorhogman

Quote from: hogpipes1 on January 16, 2020, 09:08:17 AM
Quote from: motorhogman on January 16, 2020, 07:58:39 AM

Check your credit card history if it was used  for payment.

Thanx,

I know where and when I bought them.  Just can't recall what the packaging was. 

Hossamania

I believe when I ordered Cyco shoes from Phil, the box said Twin Power. Fine by me, I trust Phil.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

04rkryder

The best answer for replacing tensioner shoes is gear drive cams if pinion runout allows. Changed mine at 30k and never thought about them again.

motorhogman

Quote from: 04rkryder on January 17, 2020, 09:41:14 AM
The best answer for replacing tensioner shoes is gear drive cams if pinion runout allows. Changed mine at 30k and never thought about them again.

Probably right..

Hossamania

Gear drive is not cheap though. Not even close.
New pads are cheap.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

motorhogman

Quote from: Hossamania on January 17, 2020, 11:15:26 AM
Gear drive is not cheap though. Not even close.
New pads are cheap.

Wish I could do gear drive.. looked at some conversions, upwards of $1700.00 in one case.  Ain't gonna happen on this 20 year old bike..

I'll just do inspections on the shoes every 10 or 15 thousand mi.

Not that bad seeing how I'm down to about 5,000 a year these days..

MikeL

I always wondered where the plastic goes from those tensioner shoes. You have to hope the filter gets it all. I did have a plugged piston cooler on my 2K RKC and it caused the cylinder to fail. Ended up doing the 124 experience along with gear drive and fueling in the cam chest. Could have bought a new bike$$$$$ but at least I know what I have and it is about as bomb proof as it can get. My 2002 Fatboy is gear drive cams but the counter weights are chain and plastic so eventually those glides will fail and cause damage to oil pump and maybe plug the piston coolers. I'm at 40k miles.

MIKE

motorhogman

Quote from: MIKEL on January 17, 2020, 02:49:17 PM
I always wondered where the plastic goes from those tensioner shoes. You have to hope the filter gets it all. I did have a plugged piston cooler on my 2K RKC and it caused the cylinder to fail. Ended up doing the 124 experience along with gear drive and fueling in the cam chest. Could have bought a new bike$$$$$ but at least I know what I have and it is about as bomb proof as it can get. My 2002 Fatboy is gear drive cams but the counter weights are chain and plastic so eventually those glides will fail and cause damage to oil pump and maybe plug the piston coolers. I'm at 40k miles.

MIKE

I have 112,000 mi on this engine.  The only thing that's been into is the cam chest.  I cut my filters open and have found fragments of the OEM shoes a few times over the past 19 + years.   Last one I opened with the Twin Power ( I think they are T Power anyway) shoes I couldn't see any fragments.
My first set of shoes was replaced under warranty at close to 50,000 mi..

greasy

I just put a 03 back together that the inner tensioner was coming apart and plugged the scavenge port on the oil pump causing sumping.

motorhogman

Quote from: greasy on January 18, 2020, 03:52:28 PM
I just put a 03 back together that the inner tensioner was coming apart and plugged the scavenge port on the oil pump causing sumping.

I'd say that was pure luck...sumping being the only issue...

greasy