March 28, 2024, 09:03:11 AM

News:

New H-D 128-131 kits

Started by VernDiesel, January 14, 2020, 07:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfmichael

Quote from: rigidthumper on January 15, 2020, 08:54:14 AM
Harleys numbers are with the SE legal tuner, and cats, to be 50 state legal. IMO, it's about time...

keep the warranty on your $20K+ bike and still get great power  :up:

Colorado Springs, CO.

Don D

True that but just get the kit, 3K dollars VS 6K and you use your other good parts. I think the install must be done at delivery, but could be wrong.

kd

I think so.  The option is to but the engine, ride it with the warranty for 2 years and then hop it up after that.  I don't think it's wise to buy an M* and kill the warranty before you know it's OK.  Too many still having problems.  If it's true that they still want the cases an after market set of cases like S&S would put it back together and you have a spare engine to use or sell. At least that would have some value.
KD

yobtaf103

January 18, 2020, 05:42:54 PM #28 Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:49:54 PM by yobtaf103
Quote from: JMHD on January 18, 2020, 10:14:02 AM
Cant find anything that says you have to send in or destroy your old left case?  :scratch:

No other confirmation on this yet,  but it was Fuel Moto posted this (another forum) after trying to order a 131 crate motor through a dealership & giving the vin from their 2020 RGS.

No brainer to just get the 131 Kit, or is there something special with the 131 crate bottom end?

kd

I could see them wanting the case for reusing the numbers.  They don't want to have 2 engines floating around with the same ID.  I'm wondering about an outright purchase.  Can the engine be bought outright? 
KD

yobtaf103

Quote from: kd on January 18, 2020, 05:52:04 PM
I could see them wanting the case for reusing the numbers.  They don't want to have 2 engines floating around with the same ID.  I'm wondering about an outright purchase.  Can the engine be bought outright?
I guess no to outright, FM tried that, then got asked for a vin

lots of Dealership guys here, need someone else to give it a try

kd

The 120R is available outright purchase but no warranty even if installed by a dealer (if they will now that the EPA debacle has peaked.  Now the 120ST is a warranty engine that was offered for the twin cam.  Was it available to purchase outright without a case return?
KD

JMHD

Quote from: kd on January 18, 2020, 06:13:00 PM
The 120R is available outright purchase but no warranty even if installed by a dealer (if they will now that the EPA debacle has peaked.  Now the 120ST is a warranty engine that was offered for the twin cam.  Was it available to purchase outright without a case return?
It does say they are vin restricted when you try to order, I wonder if this has something to do with that they are pending approval for epa compliance.

harpwrench

A mechanic at the dealership told me they don't have a tune for it yet

IronButt70

With all the issues plaguing the M8 $6k seems like a lot of coin to be a beta tester. JMHO
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Will-Run

There is ..... apparently issues with what they have now, regarding ring seal & cylinder stability. I can't see going bigger
improving this. Unless they institute some serious QC. these things will need breather tubes like Kenworth stacks.
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

rbabos

Quote from: Will-Run on January 19, 2020, 09:19:39 AM
There is ..... apparently issues with what they have now, regarding ring seal & cylinder stability. I can't see going bigger
improving this. Unless they institute some serious QC. these things will need breather tubes like Kenworth stacks.
Good. It's just no me that feels that way then. :up:
Ron

joes124

January 19, 2020, 10:15:58 AM #37 Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:29:31 AM by joes124
link to Screamin' Eagle catalog-  https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/milwaukee-eight-engine-stage-iv-kit-114ci-or-117ci-to-131ci

link to Screamin' Eagle catalog that show cylinders, heads, pistons, cam, etc.-  https://www.harley-davidson.com/shop/screamin-eagle

link to image w details of the 2020 Screamin' Eagle M8 131" and 128" engines- https://www.hdofdanbury.com/--xInventoryDetail?id=8380385

link to 2020 / 2020.5 Screamin' Eagle catelog-  https://en.calameo.com/read/003129746fed672f1bbbb

Jamie Long

Quote from: yobtaf103 on January 18, 2020, 06:07:19 PM
Quote from: kd on January 18, 2020, 05:52:04 PM
I guess no to outright, FM tried that, then got asked for a vin

lots of Dealership guys here, need someone else to give it a try

We own a 2020 Road Glide Special and ordered a 131 engine kit as well as a 131 crate engine. The engine order required our VIN. When the dealer submitted the engine order it was noted it required engine case return for our original engine as the new 131 engines are stamped with VIN matched serial numbers. Knowing what we do here the dealer immediately contacted us back to see if they should continue with the order, we passed and are now just getting the 131 kit. This is the same procedure for engine cases and their short block program, they do not want multiple engines with the same serial numbers.

hogpipes1

JMHD

Found out some more info today. If you want the 131 crate motor to have the 2 year warranty you need to supply a vin and have it installed at the dealer which requires case half to be returned or destroyed. If you want to buy the motor over the counter you can with no case half return required and only 1 year warranty supplied.

Tail Ridr

What are the specs on the 517 cam or are they not released yet?  :pop:
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

KE5RBD

Here is site with specs for all Harley M8 cams including the 517 new cam.  It is 5 degrees advanced on the front intake and 2 on rear intake.  Same lift and duration, just moved open close on intake

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/1324050966417576137?locale=en_US
2019 FLHTK Hammock Seat S&S MK 45 Slip ons Street Tuner.

FSG

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: BUGLET on January 15, 2020, 09:53:29 AM
Hiilside Was that tuned with PV or DL or something else.

Direct Link/TechnoResearch.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: IronButt70 on January 18, 2020, 02:26:43 PM
Quote from: kd on January 15, 2020, 03:11:59 PM
You can do what you want to it 2 years later after the warranty is gone.  In the mean time you'll have a damn snappy decker (or Softial  :teeth: ) and something to study and save for.  Win-Win
Will it outdo a 143 TC? Inquiring minds want to know.  :bike:

Absolutely not... :smile:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

JMHD

Quote from: JMHD on January 21, 2020, 06:35:35 AM
Found out some more info today. If you want the 131 crate motor to have the 2 year warranty you need to supply a vin and have it installed at the dealer which requires case half to be returned or destroyed. If you want to buy the motor over the counter you can with no case half return required and only 1 year warranty supplied.
Another update- when you order the 131 crate motor the numbers will not match your old case numbers and you do not have to scrap your original left case . The reason for the vin wanted is that you have to order the oil cooler fan kit and the head pipe that goes with it as well for EPA.

Jamie Long

We just received additional info back from our dealer on the SE 131 crate engine. You are able to purchase this as an engine with MSO over the counter WITHOUT surrendering your original engine or cases. It was communicated that the issues and confusion we had earlier on were caused upon release by the HD system originally requiring case return however that has since been rectified. Our SE 131 engine is now on order as well as another SE 131 complete kit.

Nastytls

Quote from: JMHD on January 22, 2020, 07:10:34 AM
Quote from: JMHD on January 21, 2020, 06:35:35 AM
Another update- when you order the 131 crate motor the numbers will not match your old case numbers and you do not have to scrap your original left case . The reason for the vin wanted is that you have to order the oil cooler fan kit and the head pipe that goes with it as well for EPA.

So, does that mean this engine requires a special header? Similar to a TC w/ B2 heads??

JMHD

No , it is a higher flowing catalyst head pipe so my guess is it needs to be sold with it to satisfy the Epa or warranty or both.