April 23, 2024, 03:31:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Winter project

Started by bump, January 15, 2020, 03:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bump

I started taking my shovelhead apart to repair some little things like oil seals leaking and a gas leak in petcock. Will keep an eye out for any other problems. Have to do this every 7 or 8 years. Bought this bike new in 78 and still going strong.

david lee

not many one owners out there im a second owner of a 80 lowririder sinse 84 with 17000 kms,the engine has never been pulled apart

Dan89flstc

January 15, 2020, 03:36:50 PM #2 Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:03:00 PM by Dan89flstc
Excellent :up:

Nice to see stuff like this, keep it up and keep it on the road. :up:

And here I thought being the original owner of a 1989 was cool........ :idunno:

Thanks to the Moderator(s) who deleted my triple post fiasco... :up:
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

bump

Got some of it apart, now need to lookup part numbers and clean things.

Buglet

I see you have the right tools to work on it, a hammer and a pair of channel locks. By the way that is a nice looking bike, good lock with the project.

Dan89flstc

Suggestions:

Get a roll cart or something so your parts and tools are not on the floor.

A couple boxes of zip lock bags and a sharpie marker.

Put the small hardware in 6x9 manila envelopes, mark the envelope with the part number.

Teardown is slower this way, but rebuild is faster and much less frustrating.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

bump

I have torn this bike down so many times in 42 years I know where just about where everything goes. I set parts on floor and then clean them and inspect. After cleaning I lay them out on bench to keep them straight. :wink: :wink:

Racepres

Quote from: bump on January 16, 2020, 09:31:53 AM
I have torn this bike down so many times in 42 years I know where just about where everything goes. I set parts on floor and then clean them and inspect. After cleaning I lay them out on bench to keep them straight. :wink: :wink:

IMO
Nothing falls off the floor!!!!!
But, I'm gettin too old and crippled to bend to the ground constantly anymore... Totes... and maybe I'll try a Rolling Cart...

Hossamania

Same here on bending over. Got me one of those claw picker-upper things in the garage, it's always within easy reach. If I drop it, it stays, I go buy a new one to pick it up... Need one in a holster on my belt at work, I should work on that.
I swapped out cams on two bikes that were only up on a floor jack, and I swore after the first one, never again. I can assuredly say now, NEVER again. I actually brought my table to a friend's house to work on his bike this last time.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

Do you remember being able to bend over, tie your shoes and breath all at the same time?   :teeth:
KD

Racepres

Quote from: kd on January 16, 2020, 11:17:43 AM
Do you remember being able to bend over, tie your shoes and breath all at the same time?   :teeth:

Kinda.... Sorta... Maybe, I remember.... :emoGroan:

Hossamania

Hossamania

Bump, didn't mean to hijack your thread, sorry about that!
I like the look of your bike. When I was younger, I couldn't appreciate the FX style, I was an FL guy all the way. Now, I find myself drawn to them, great looking bikes!

bump

Hoss not a problem.

For the folks worried about sitting on floor.
It don't bother me to sit on floor and work on bike. I can still sit down crossed legged on floor and get back up without putting hand on floor. Not too bad for being 65, ain't that old yet.

Racepres

Quote from: bump on January 16, 2020, 12:21:49 PM
Hoss not a problem.

For the folks worried about sitting on floor.
It don't bother me to sit on floor and work on bike. I can still sit down crossed legged on floor and get back up without putting hand on floor. Not too bad for being 65, ain't that old yet.
"Potty mouth" I could do it at 63...  :doh:
I have always been drawn to superGlides...and then Low Riders... FL??? Not quite as alluring to Me!!
I like yours bump.... :bike:

Edit; as an aside... I used to run Sportster hard bags [quick take-off] I liked the "look"

david lee

Quote from: Dan89flstc on January 16, 2020, 09:17:22 AM
Suggestions:

Get a roll cart or something so your parts and tools are not on the floor.

A couple boxes of zip lock bags and a sharpie marker.

Put the small hardware in 6x9 manila envelopes, mark the envelope with the part number.

Teardown is slower this way, but rebuild is faster and much less frustrating.
being a retired panelbeater every part i took of a car i would tape the bolts to the part

david lee

Quote from: Hossamania on January 16, 2020, 09:49:58 AM
Same here on bending over. Got me one of those claw picker-upper things in the garage, it's always within easy reach. If I drop it, it stays, I go buy a new one to pick it up... Need one in a holster on my belt at work, I should work on that.
I swapped out cams on two bikes that were only up on a floor jack, and I swore after the first one, never again. I can assuredly say now, NEVER again. I actually brought my table to a friend's house to work on his bike this last time.
me to .never gunna crawl around a bike again after removing a inner primary while on the side stand

david lee

yes. now its flip flops or velcro laces

Hossamania

Quote from: david lee on January 16, 2020, 12:59:04 PM
yes. now its flip flops or velcro laces

Velcro shoe laces, someone here called them Irish shoe laces, I loved it!

bump

Got it mostly tore down and starting cleaning everything up. Probably been 25 years since it was this far down.
Need more bench space.

76shuvlinoff

Good luck with the project!

I was only 44 when I took my 76 down to the frame and back on a Sam's club bike jack.  It wasn't much later when I bought the table. :embarrassed:

I'll be 60 in a couple months.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

kink04fxd

The older you get the more gravity becomes your enemy. At least get a floor jack lift. Less than 100 bucks. Best money I spent.
2000 FLHTCI (now carb)<br />1982 FLH

bump

Trying to cleanup pipes and found this still on there. Must have put them pipes on about 85 or there abouts.