March 28, 2024, 05:09:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Seat pads

Started by Jim Bronson, January 15, 2020, 12:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

Has anyone had success using pads for tailbone and butt pain on long rides. I use a back rest, but I sometimes get pain in the L5-S1 area, and it would be nice to find a pad that would help reduce it.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

SixShooter14

I don't have a clear answer, but I've found a few things that greatly improve tailbone and low-back pain.

1) A wide seat. More thigh contact helps a lot.
2) Posture. mid vs. forward controls
3) Handlebar height. I liked the look of my drag bars, but my apes are much less painful.
4) Backrest. I don't always lean back against it, but having it there helps.
5) Exercise. Strengthening shoulders, upper and lower back, and abs helps a lot to maintain proper posture and reduce pain/fatigue.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Hossamania

Which model motorcycle, which seat do you have?
PoorUB likes the rider beads, the wooden beads like the cabby's use.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

92flhtcu

Wild-Ass air pad is awesome, I'm a air pad guy, when I was Road Reppin' I sat on it every day for years in my vehicle, on the bike, only all day rides or long multi day trips. I also switch it up on the bike, i'll run a tank or two without it, then a tank or two with it, etc.
Anyone that hated an Air type cushion had it over inflated, period.
Need a bigger garage

PoorUB

Beadrider.com

Not sure if it would help in this case.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Jim Bronson

Thanks for the suggestions Sixshooter14. I probably don't lean against the backrest as much as I should. I need to try that.

This would be on a '15 RK using the stock seat narrowed a bit at the front and Heritage bars (the older ones). I wouldn't want to sit too much higher, so I need something that would compress a little (somewhat inseam challenged).

Hossamania

Get a Sundowner demo seat from the dealer and take it for a long test ride.

IronButt70

Quote from: Hossamania on January 15, 2020, 01:12:26 PM

PoorUB likes the rider beads, the wooden beads like the cabby's use.
:agree:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

92flhtcu

Properly inflated, a Wild-Ass or Air Hawk only raises you a 1/2", however, it may not be the ticket for a injured(or worn out) lower back
Need a bigger garage

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Hossamania on January 15, 2020, 05:15:46 PM
Get a Sundowner demo seat from the dealer and take it for a long test ride.
Unfortunately, my dealer doesn't have demo seats.

SixShooter14

You might also try sitting on one of those donut cushions?  :idunno:

I have/had a small crack in my L5 that pinched my spinal cord causing a lot of nerve pain and numbness, along with intermittent sciatica pain. I've found that supporting more weight with the legs rather than focusing it on my tailbone makes the biggest difference as well as being able to move my feet.

vafatboy1

For long trips, 6-9 hours or so in the saddle I use an air hawk. 

Sinker

I use something called a Butt Buffer that I bought about 15 years ago. Only use it if I am gonna ride all day. It does a great job.

tommy g

I tried a gel pad and air hawk desperately seeking relief, neither worked for me.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

Jim Bronson

Oddly, my lower back pain is not present while riding with my stock seat and a backrest, but is a problem in my car even with adjustable lumbar support seats. The main reason for looking for a seat pad is to reduce tail bone pain. The idea of occasionally taking my weight off the seat and standing briefly on the foot boards sounds like a good one.

SixShooter14

Quote from: Jim Bronson on January 16, 2020, 08:33:25 PM
Oddly, my lower back pain is not present while riding with my stock seat and a backrest, but is a problem in my car even with adjustable lumbar support seats. The main reason for looking for a seat pad is to reduce tail bone pain. The idea of occasionally taking my weight off the seat and standing briefly on the foot boards sounds like a good one.
changing the profile of the rear part of the seat might help. Hollowing out the center of the raised rear portion so that the load is more on the hips rather than the tailbone. Kinda like what sitting on a donut would do.

Hossamania

For long trips on the bike, my wife has started using an inflatable donut, lightly inflated. Worth a try in the car, cheap enough.

stafford

hurt my tailbone somehow or the other about 450 miles from home. I had been using  a jell pad. I finally figured out to not slide the pad as far back and let my tail bone overhang  behind the pad. It made it bearable but I was glad to get home and stay off the  bike for a while.
Stafford

IronButt70

Oddly, my lower back pain is not present while riding with my stock seat and a backrest, but is a problem in my car even with adjustable lumbar support seats.
Same here. I can do just about any amount of miles per day I want on the bike but after 2 hours in either car I'm done. Mustang seat with seat beads and backrest. I'm sure being able to put my legs up on the engine guard foot rests in multiple positions is a big help.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: IronButt70 on January 18, 2020, 02:17:28 PM
Oddly, my lower back pain is not present while riding with my stock seat and a backrest, but is a problem in my car even with adjustable lumbar support seats.
Same here. I can do just about any amount of miles per day I want on the bike but after 2 hours in either car I'm done. Mustang seat with seat beads and backrest. I'm sure being able to put my legs up on the engine guard foot rests in multiple positions is a big help.
I have a Mustang too, and I'm only good for about an hour unless I use a lumbar cushion. Then I can go for maybe two hours. I only get 14 MPG, so I'm usually ready for a gas stop anyway.