April 20, 2024, 03:09:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Preparing to refresh my first top-end, pics and questions

Started by SixShooter14, January 16, 2020, 05:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixShooter14

Quote from: Burnout on March 18, 2020, 08:44:28 AM
It's hard to compare the two because the EV27 is a split duration cam.

I don't think one cam will rev significantly higher that the other.
I think the big difference between the two would be which determined by the exhaust system.
It seems the 27 would favor mufflers?
thanks, Is that referring to the intake and exhaust durations being different?

I know cam choice and effectiveness can be a slippery slope.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

MikeL

I would save your money and use the 3010 cam. Just hookup the voes and jet accordingly. Most complained about valve train noise from the ev-27.

MIKE

SixShooter14

Quote from: MikeL on March 18, 2020, 08:55:43 AM
I would save your money and use the 3010 cam. Just hookup the voes and jet accordingly. Most complained about valve train noise from the ev-27.

MIKE
That's kinda the direction I'm leaning just based on work involved. I would have the gear swapped over to the 27 if I go that route. But just from reading, I can't tell that there's much difference in the end result from the 2 options. And I don't know enough about it to tell based on the specs.

Edit: anyone know what the 'D' means on the end of the lobe? Is that a batch number or revision?

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

SixShooter14

while I wait on my new lifters to arrive from Larry...

What's the thoughts on the tappet blocks themselves? they are very messy from the crap that was under those covers. But do they wear out or is there a way to determine the wear?

I can replace them or clean them up and reuse......thoughts? thanks

SixShooter14

So, I think I'm going to just go ahead and stick with the 3010 cam for now. Unless someone thinks the 27 would be appreciably better with the compression bump, I should be around 9.5:1. But wouldn't that help either cam?

so, now my only dilemma is the tappet blocks. To replace or not? 50k-ish miles on them, but do they actually wear out?

twincamzz

You can measure the bore of the tappet blocks to see if they are in spec. HD spec for 1998 FLHTCI is as follows :
Fit in guide ...Exceeds 0.003 inches or 0.08 mm

This information is from my HD service manual for 1998 FLHTCI, but I think spec would be same for your Road King
not all who wander are lost...

SixShooter14

Quote from: twincamzz on March 19, 2020, 09:31:00 AM
You can measure the bore of the tappet blocks to see if they are in spec. HD spec for 1998 FLHTCI is as follows :
Fit in guide ...Exceeds 0.003 inches or 0.08 mm
Thanks, I'll double check the SM for 1997.

rigidthumper

Keep the 3010.
Clean the outside of the tappet blocks with GooGone. Those covers were held in with silicone .
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

SixShooter14

Quote from: rigidthumper on March 19, 2020, 10:15:55 AM
Keep the 3010.
Clean the outside of the tappet blocks with GooGone. Those covers were held in with silicone .
:up: that's the plan.

SixShooter14

reinstalled the 3010 last night along with the S&S breather gear and Carlini Tq arm. Also tapped the cylinders for the oil return pigtails

Going to try cleaning the tappet blocks tonight and might install them with the new lifters if I have time, also going to try installing the Rockouts tonight as well.

I'm finally going to have a free weekend. So hopefully, I can make some progress. Heck, I might even be able to fire it up assuming I don't break anything. Stay tuned for assembly questions, as I'm sure I'll have a few.

SixShooter14

Not quite as much progress as I hoped, I was busy with house chores most of Saturday. I got the tappet blocks clean (that silicone was a PITA to scrape off) then installed them with the new lifters. Next task was new studs, then pistons and rings into cylinders, and got the cylinders on. Was then able to get the heads on and torqued. Followed by the rear rockers (all the Rockouts are installed as well)

Tomorrow, I'll get the front rockers on and the covers. Probably get the intake and exhaust back on Tuesday, as I expect it'll be a slow process. Tank and dash on Wednesday. Then I'll either try starting or just spend some time cleaning up and wait until a non-rainy day for firing up and breaking in. Also need to drain and refill the primary and readjust the clutch and cable.

It's progressing.

Ohio HD

You might want to make the heat cycles before cleaning the bike, just in case you have to go back in. And I would make the heat cycles as soon as you can, don't wait till it can be ridden due to weather. In the event of issues, you know sooner.

SixShooter14

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 23, 2020, 02:50:33 AM
You might want to make the heat cycles before cleaning the bike, just in case you have to go back in. And I would make the heat cycles as soon as you can, don't wait till it can be ridden due to weather. In the event of issues, you know sooner.
Question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to:

Before torquing down the rockers, should I completely loosen the adj. pushrods? I'm assuming, yes?

koko3052

kd

KD

SixShooter14

Thanks guys, I figured as much.

Any point to measuring the lengths before I shorten them? Or is it a complete reset with the new lifters?

Burnout

"Any point to measuring the lengths before I shorten them?"

None at all.

Anything that changes the height of the stack will affect pushrod length.
Base gaskets
Head gaskets
Rocker box gaskets
Cylinder length
Heads milled?
Cam base circle
Lifter length

Since there are a lot of places for MFG tolerance to stack up, there is the potential for a considerable change.
Add in milling heads, or cutting the bases (to bring the piston all the way up) and you could easily see .100" difference.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

SixShooter14

Quote from: Burnout on March 23, 2020, 01:20:46 PM

None at all.

Base gaskets
Head gaskets
Rocker box gaskets
Cylinder length
Heads milled?
Cam base circle
Lifter length
thanks...It all changed except the cam

Ohio HD

Quote from: SixShooter14 on March 23, 2020, 01:23:13 PM
Quote from: Burnout on March 23, 2020, 01:20:46 PM

None at all.

Base gaskets
Head gaskets
Rocker box gaskets
Cylinder length
Heads milled?
Cam base circle
Lifter length
thanks...It all changed except the cam

annnnddd, you have no idea how the previous guy did it. I'd go with a fresh adjustment too.

SixShooter14

hbkeith

you oil/ soak the new lifters ? whats the carlini torque arm for ?

SixShooter14

Quote from: hbkeith on March 23, 2020, 03:54:41 PM
you oil/ soak the new lifters ? whats the carlini torque arm for ?
I soaked them for an hour-ish.

I'm not sure why the torque arm, PO had it on there.  :idunno:

Ohio HD

The shop that did the work for the guy probably told him he'd need it.         :chop:

Burnout

Early FXR and FLH had troubles with the trans to motor mount.
The Carlini brace helped take some of the load off the crap method they used to join the motor and trans together.

97 is a 10 year later model though not sure if it was still needed.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"