Preparing to refresh my first top-end, pics and questions

Started by SixShooter14, January 16, 2020, 05:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsachs1

Ohio HD

Thanks for following up on this John. I'll note this in my Evo data.    :up:

SixShooter14

I found my leak....Coming out of the trans top cover....
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Ohio HD

I'd check first, see if the fasteners are tight, if you haven't already.

SixShooter14

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 04, 2020, 06:05:37 PM
I'd check first, see if the fasteners are tight, if you haven't already.
I did that this morning while cleaning

kd

Quote from: SixShooter14 on April 04, 2020, 06:03:12 PM

What do you think the chances are your base gasket leak was hot transmission oil flinging around in the wind and gathering where it looked like a wet base gasket?  You probably didn't hit any speeds where that could happen in the few miles you put on since assembly.  It wouldn't be the first time an oil leak was not really where the oil ended up from road wind currents.  How was the transmission oil level?  Is your vent clear?   
KD

cheech

Sweet, in pic you can see someone safety wired the engine case to trans case screws.  :up:

SixShooter14

Quote from: kd on April 04, 2020, 06:11:10 PM

What do you think the chances are your base gasket leak was hot transmission oil flinging around in the wind and gathering where it looked like a wet base gasket?  You probably didn't hit any speeds where that could happen in the few miles you put on since assembly.  It wouldn't be the first time an oil leak was not really where the oil ended up from road wind currents.  How was the transmission oil level?  Is your vent clear?
I don't think so. I had cleaned the cyl base a few times and noticed the oil return within a mile of riding. So, I don't think that'd be it. I didn't torque the trans cover bolts yet, but I checked each one with an allen key and they were all pretty tight, a couple took maybe a 1/4 turn. Tonight I'll look up the tq spec and then make sure they're proper. Then we'll see if that helps any. I think? the cover can be removed with just the 5 bolts? along with the vent and neutral switch plug thing. So, not a big deal?

Is there anything more to it than pulling 5 bolts, swapping gaskets and re-torquing the bolts?

SixShooter14

April 04, 2020, 06:24:25 PM #283 Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 06:29:46 PM by SixShooter14
Quote from: cheech on April 04, 2020, 06:20:01 PM
Sweet, in pic you can see someone safety wired the engine case to trans case screws.  :up:
indeed, all the bolts to the trans and primary are wired.....Hell, they even wired the bolts on the damn horn. That didn't keep the horn cover from breaking off the 2 tabs on the back side, but it helped hold it on after they broke.  :doh:

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

jsachs1

2 Leak tips I've found useful over the years. Most leaks are easy to diagnose, but some can be misleading.
Clean area in question, and spray with FOOT POWDER.
Oil on front cylinder area, make a cardboard shield attach to oil seal area of front forks to be sure it's not coming from a fork seal.
John

Hossamania

Quote from: jsachs1 on April 05, 2020, 09:04:15 AM
2 Leak tips I've found useful over the years. Most leaks are easy to diagnose, but some can be misleading.
Clean area in question, and spray with FOOT POWDER.
Oil on front cylinder area, make a cardboard shield attach to oil seal area of front forks to be sure it's not coming from a fork seal.
John

Good advice, had a friend chasing that leak before. Also, leak may look like a fork leak, but can be the steering stem leaking bearing grease. Going a bit off topic here.
Another is a leak on the side de of the motor that is the air cleaner blowing fluid.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

SixShooter14

the rest of the engine is completely dry except for that trans cover. So, I'm pretty sure that's where it is coming from. You can see the trail of oil leading right up to the base of the cover.

As soon as I find tq specs in the SM, I'll be hitting them with the TQ wrench.

EDIT: FYI... 7-9ft-lbs.....OR, 84-108 in-lbs

Hossamania

SixShooter14

Quote from: Hossamania on April 05, 2020, 10:24:39 AM
Yup, "snug".
Yeah, I probably hit that yesterday with the allen key. I'll TQ them with the wrench just to do it.

I'm kinda curious if I should pull the cover and see if the gasket is torn or out of place. If it's intact, I could reinstall.....Nonetheless, I went ahead and ordered the $2 gasket that oughta be here Thursday.

But now, I'm gonna wipe it down again and ride a bit to see if it repeats.

kd

Six, confirm your vent is clear too (if you haven't yet) before you take that ride. Depending on the type of hose you could have a mud dobber wasp blockage.  Especially IF you park outside unprotected.  Oh yeah, you do.  :wink:
KD

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on April 05, 2020, 11:02:11 AM
Six, confirm your vent is clear too (if you haven't yet) before you take that ride. Depending on the type of hose you could have a mud dobber wasp blockage.  Especially IF you park outside unprotected.  Oh yeah, you do did.:wink:

Fixed that...

SixShooter14

Vent is clear and bolts are retorqued, now I'll wipe it down again and see if it returns from the same place.

Oh...and  :kick:

Hossamania

Funny you mention loose bolts, I just changed oil on the '12 Ultra, and found oil on the pan up high, the three front pan bolts were loose. Tightened them up, the rest were fine. Going for a ride now, hopefully that takes care of it. Or rather, I should say that unless it gets much worse, it is now "good enough".

SixShooter14

No luck, rode a mile and stopped to check and sure enough, the front seam of the cover is oozing. Hopefully a new gasket will fix it.

SixShooter14

:baby: success!!! put on the new gasket today and after 30 miles, no leak.

The old one was off-center a bit and crumbly. I did my very best to keep any pieces out of the trans. I don't think anything fell in, I was very careful. Hopefully I can get out and make sure she's all good and clean and no more leaks appear. I'm afraid there may be a secondary leak from the primary side, but I don't know if it was a second leak or just oil from the first running down hill while the bike is on the stand. I'll get her good and clean then hopefully anything new will be a little more clear. Either way, the engine is sealed up good and now the trans...Slowly moving towards a "leak-free" Harley.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: SixShooter14 on April 08, 2020, 06:24:09 PM
:baby: success!!! put on the new gasket today and after 30 miles, no leak.

The old one was off-center a bit and crumbly. I did my very best to keep any pieces out of the trans. I don't think anything fell in, I was very careful. Hopefully I can get out and make sure she's all good and clean and no more leaks appear. I'm afraid there may be a secondary leak from the primary side, but I don't know if it was a second leak or just oil from the first running down hill while the bike is on the stand. I'll get her good and clean then hopefully anything new will be a little more clear. Either way, the engine is sealed up good and now the trans...Slowly moving towards a "leak-free" Harley.
:up: excellent
feels good don't it - congrats good job
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

SixShooter14

alright, 2 little things I've noticed today.....1) there's still a small leak coming down between the trans/primary...Possibly Shift shaft seal? Haven't confirmed yet. I might pull the primary off and get after it, but haven't decided yet. I would like to narrow it down a little more before then....since once the primary is off, I can't just start it up and see where it's leaking. The other option is to have a shop fix it and replace the drive belt while they're at it, something I'm not sure if I want to do myself. I'm not hurting for funds, so I could easily pay a shop that may be struggling a bit to do it for me, so long as they do it right.

Anyway.... 2nd item is kinda silly...While reading about the carb setup and tuning, I decided to check the connectors and hoses and cables to make sure nothing was binding or showing fresh wear marks (it's been 200 miles since reassembly, something could have been kinked when I put it together) Also checked the VOES hose/fittings to make sure the slightly larger line wasn't loosening...All looked good, except the throttle cable, I think it's mis-adjusted as the end of the 'pull' cable gets slack when closing the throttle, not just lack of tension but actually begins to bend. Maybe that's just the amount of freeplay in it, not sure.......Anyway, then I read on about tuning the idle A-F mix and pilot jet and choke and such...Turns out the Pilot Air Screw is gone...Yep, just gone. Either someone removed and forgot to reinstall or it was screwed out too far and just worked it's way out. But anyway, I've got another and put in there at the starting position of 2 turns out. Haven't started it yet, but I'll give it a try tomorrow to see what difference having that screw installed makes.

OH, and I need or will be needing a front lower motor mount. The top rubber has some pieces hanging off of it where it looks to be coming apart.

Hossamania

I'm assuming you're talking about the cable itself bending a bit, not the sheath too. Pretty normal, part of the "play" in throttle adjustment. I try to adjust most of that out. I like to open the top cap on the bar and adjust the "pull" cable as far down in the housing as practical, then adjust the cables, so that I get full pull out of the throttle, all the way to the stop. Then adjust the return for very little play, I like very little slop in my throttle.
As far as the leak, it's probably the shifter shaft, possibly the transmission pulley. Maybe both.
Probably not too bad yet compared to some...

[attach=0,msg1342317]

SixShooter14

Quote from: Hossamania on April 13, 2020, 06:49:24 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about the cable itself bending a bit, not the sheath too. Pretty normal, part of the "play" in throttle adjustment. I try to adjust most of that out. I like to open the top cap on the bar and adjust the "pull" cable as far down in the housing as practical, the adjust the cables, so that I get full pull out of the throttle, all the way to the stop. Then adjust the return for very little play, I like very little slop in my throttle.
As far as the leak, it's probably the shifter shaft, possibly the transmission pulley. Maybe both.
Probably not too bad yet compared to some...

[attach=0,msg1342317]
yes, it is the actual cable bending a little right at the carb. I figured it was from play between the pull and return. I too like my throttle to have very little slop. I didn't pull the cables off the carb when I took everything apart, I just strapped carb and intake to the backbone above the engine. It'd be a good idea to adjust everything. I need to adjust the clutch as well.

As for the leak, it's not bad, but enough to annoy me. So I'm going to fix it, just not sure yet if I want to do it or have someone else mess with it.