March 29, 2024, 07:14:31 AM

News:

1983 flt 4ohm coil for points conversion

Started by snowangel, January 18, 2020, 03:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowangel

I can't find a 5ohm coil to replace the 31609-80 stock electronic ignition coil.
Will a 4ohm coil give me any grief?

guppymech

Andrews makes a 4.8 ohm coil p/n 237230, it was made in USA but I'm not sure now.  I've been using one on my '84 FXE converted to points for 10k miles with no problems.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

david lee

why do people swap to points.never had a problem with elec ign on my 80 lowrider

bump

I switched to points in my 78 shovelhead in 81 when the electronic quit working. A dealer they had points conversion for $45, all the parts needed. Electronic was $200. The points seem to last a long time the advance units with the weights is what goes bad. Every 10 years or so.

Racepres

Quote from: bump on January 19, 2020, 03:04:16 AM
I switched to points in my 78 shovelhead in 81 when the electronic quit working. A dealer they had points conversion for $45, all the parts needed. Electronic was $200. The points seem to last a long time the advance units with the weights is what goes bad. Every 10 years or so.
If yer gettin 10Years out of an Advance unit... Please share where in theee hell yer gettin them ones!!!!!

bump

The last one was from California Phil. If you put a little grease on the pins that the weights are on and some wd40 on springs they seem to last longer.

Racepres

Quote from: bump on January 19, 2020, 07:29:28 AM
The last one was from California Phil. If you put a little grease on the pins that the weights are on and some wd40 on springs they seem to last longer.
Have always used a small bit of white lithium on the Pins... never anything on the springs... I don't get that part!!!!
Never [since good ole O.E. was still available] get no where near 10 years... unless I never use the bike...
Ya think California Phil, makes Advance Units??

JW113

I use high temp disk brake grease on mine, pins, rotor, and weights. I suppose the WD40 on the springs keeps them from rusting?

I guess I'm looking from the opposite point of view. If properly maintained, why would you ever have to replace the advance unit? Maybe some of you remember back in the olden days, when every car & truck engine made had a mechanical advance distributor. Which used essentially the same type of components as a HD advance unit. I sure don't ever recall any of my chevy or ford distributors wearing out the advance unit, regardless of how many miles or years.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Reddog74usa

Whatever you do go with a good quality made in USA coil as the china stuff is very hit or miss. Same for points sets, and I highly recommend buying OEM NOS on Ebay or if you can find em at a dealer. (DOUBTFUL) Personally I have had good luck with either points or electronic iggy's. I do prefer points on a kick start bike as they tend to start easier and on one kick consistently. Even when I use the electric starter on my 68 FLH it barely gets to turn over and boom, she fires right up. One thing that hasn't changed all these years is when points give you a problem it's roadside fixable if you carry an extra set. When electronic iggies go down YER WALKIN OR TRUCKIN YER WAY HOME.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

bump

Quote from: Racepres on January 19, 2020, 07:58:25 AM
Have always used a small bit of white lithium on the Pins... never anything on the springs... I don't get that part!!!!
Never [since good ole O.E. was still available] get no where near 10 years... unless I never use the bike...
I don't believe Phil makes the units just sells them. The problem I have had with the advance units is the weights wear on the pins until the weights move out so far they hit on
something in housing and breaking the bolt that holds unit in place on cam.

crock

Quote from: bump on January 20, 2020, 03:29:35 AM
Quote from: Racepres on January 19, 2020, 07:58:25 AM
I don't believe Phil makes the units just sells them. The problem I have had with the advance units is the weights wear on the pins until the weights move out so far they hit on
something in housing and breaking the bolt that holds unit in place on cam.

I bought this one. Only had it  for a year but it looks more durable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GZOT9W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Crock

a_disalvo

I think Rivera makes a stainless unit. FWIW, Frank

JW113

Yes, and that's what I'm using. Not cheap, but high quality.

-JW

guppymech

I clicked on the above link for the whole ign kit and within a hour I had a email from America Prime Mfg (Rivera), I'm on their mailing list, telling me I need their USA made advancer.  Coincidence? I think not.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

snowangel

Quote from: snowangel on January 18, 2020, 03:54:49 AM
I can't find a 5ohm coil to replace the 31609-80 stock electronic ignition coil.
Will a 4ohm coil give me any grief?

Parts on the way. I'll let you know how I make out.
Thanks everyone

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on January 20, 2020, 09:29:07 AM
Yes, and that's what I'm using. Not cheap, but high quality.

-JW

and... What happened to your O.E. Unit???
Just bustin yer balls... the Harley unit is Not like yer Chevy, and will in fact wear out.. The O.E. unit... in my Experience, will go so very much longer, it is ridiculous!! Hell... if you just keep the pins lubricated, you can get away with new weights every once in awhile...as the weights seem to always be "worn"... some ~ units fit so bad... they are not useable when New!!!!
I need to stay up on mechanical advance units, as I really like either Points, or the Dyna-S
My Boys, being slack on Maintenance, get EI

guppymech

I'm using the last of H-D's mechanical advance units, the one used with the Prestolite EI, I just installed the points cam onto it.  It's teflon coated and the weight stops are solid pins not roll pins, no wear evident on it in 10k miles.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Racepres

Quote from: guppymech on January 21, 2020, 08:49:42 AM
I'm using the last of H-D's mechanical advance units, the one used with the Prestolite EI, I just installed the points cam onto it.  It's teflon coated and the weight stops are solid pins not roll pins, no wear evident on it in 10k miles.
LOL
I still have one... Prestolite ignition and all!!!!
Watch the loosness of those weights.. Check at least [minimum] every spring!!!!!!

JW113

Quote from: Racepres on January 21, 2020, 07:35:31 AM
and... What happened to your O.E. Unit???

Sometime in the bike's past, somebody removed the stock points set up and installed a Mallory Unilite system. That's what was in it when I got it. I tried three Crane/S&S Hi-4 units, all three failed, with the last one leaving me stranded. That's when I said screw it, put a points system in and it's been problem free ever since.

-JW

76shuvlinoff

My DynaTek 2Ki will be 16 years old this spring. I carried a set of points and weights around for the first 5 years then said screw it. I will admit I have not ridden shovel much since 2013. Now since I shot my mouth off I will need a replacement ignition this coming summer....   :emoGroan:

Dual plugged, single fire. Looking for recommendations  :hyst:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

snowangel

Bike is running. Thanks to all . I went with the Andrews coil for 4 speed and conversion from jp cycle