March 28, 2024, 02:22:48 PM

News:

S&S oil pump question

Started by dheath9994, January 18, 2020, 05:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dheath9994

How's it going everyone my friends putting Cams with the S&S cam plate and oil pump in his 2019 fltrxs. The cams are new the plate and pump are off his old bike. The fuel Moto cam install kit he ordered comes with new o-ring for scavenge and discharge but no new gasket for where the oil pump meets the cam plate(he already removed the pump from plate when taking it off other bike)I know on the factory assembly once you remove pressure from the O-ring they use to seal the pump to the plate it should be replace or sumping will probably occur. He's wondering if where the s&s uses a gasket and not a rubber 0-ring if he could reuse it. I'm guessing bad idea but he was hoping to do the cams today so figured I'd ask the knowledgeable people on here, thanks in advance

03wglide

Never reuse a gasket as it has been compromised(compressed). Even o-rings shouldn't be reused as there is no guarantee to the sealing ability. I would touch base S&S to see which is better, save you less down time and cost in the long run. Fuel Moto may take care of you once you explain the resent purchase.

yobtaf103

2019 = M8 single cam ,you repeatedly say cams ?
S&S oil pump to cam plate face, not aware of a gasket there

dheath9994

Yea force of habit saying cams not cam but figured everyone would be able to figure it out and it's where the pump body meets the cam plate

-deuced-

What is his old bike? How old is the S&S cam plate and oil pump?
The first S&S combo for M8 had a steel wear plate between the oil pump and cam plate. Is this the gasket you are asking about? The wear plate was deleted in subsequent version and I doubt it would be included in a current cam install kit. As for re-using the wear plate, well, are there any wear marks on it? Can you post pics of the "gasket"?

O-ring between oil pump and cam plate? Does any manufacturer do that? Harley use o-ring between oil pump body and engine case.