April 19, 2024, 04:44:49 PM

News:

Thunder Jet

Started by Deye76, January 18, 2020, 08:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

January 18, 2020, 08:27:22 AM Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:13:02 AM by Deye76
I have a 113" Ultima with the R1 carb (G clone). Only time it started and ran good, no decel pop, was rich, AFR 10.5-1. After dyno tuning, with the AFR in a acceptable range, starts hard, lean up top, and decel pop that would please only those who like the sound of popcorn in a microwave. I've been told my some that the R1 is a POS, and I should get a real G. I had a G on a S&S 100" Evo, ran very well,  should I have a Thunder Jet installed on the G? Would a Thunder jet on the R1 help? or waste of time with that carb? TIA.
Edit: No intake or head gasket leaks

P.S. Not going with a Mikuni.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

thumper 823

This is not the dyno  guy's first rodeo  is it?
He should be able to make a real good recommend ..unless he is a cookie-cutter dyno operator.
I know you know messing and guessing with AFR at the top will have a bad ending.
If you are near Scott at Hillside go see him, of not ask him.
Next-tell me more about no head gaskets, "O" ring?, fire ring?
Thanx
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

JW113

If it's popping at decel, and hard to start, doesn't that indicate a problem with the low speed circuit when the throttle plate is closed or just slightly open? T-jet only pulls fuel at full throttle in the upper rpms, so not sure how that would help you with this behavior.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Deye76

January 18, 2020, 12:44:56 PM #3 Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 04:20:55 PM by Deye76
My question on the TJ was for adding another circuit for all around good manners. I'm thinking it's the carb (R1). The tuner spent a lot of time and I'm confident he knows what he's doing. He tuned my injected RK and some friends bikes , all turned out very good.

capn

Once bought a new r2 e clone could not get it to run right.This was a 88 cube shovel.Put an old e on that I had laying around it ran well.

jsachs1

I've done a couple of the Ultima clones when they first came out. I never received any negative feedback. With the problems I've been hearing about them, I don't think I could recommend them. S&S, E and G, I do a s**t load of, never had an issue or problem. The majority of the ones I do get a T-jet. [attach=0,msg1330706]
John

capn

If you go with G with thunder jet Im sure jsachs would point you to the right set up so you wont need to get it dyno tuned again.

Breeze

Quote from: thumper 823 on January 18, 2020, 09:58:59 AM
Next-tell me more about no head gaskets, "O" ring?, fire ring?
Thanx

OP stated "no intake or head gasket leaks. Not no head gaskets.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Deye76

Was hoping Mr. Sachs would see this. Not a race bike, would the S&S G be ok as is?

jsachs1

Quote from: Deye76 on January 19, 2020, 09:28:31 AM
Was hoping Mr. Sachs would see this. Not a race bike, would the S&S G be ok as is?
You know, S&S carbs can be real finicky, and hard to tune perfectly, depending on your exhaust system. They seem to want some order of back pressure.
As far as a T-Jet, it's another circuit, that most times seems to help/balance overall tuning. JMHO.
John

capn

I got a 120 ultima with the same cam and I run a stock G with the same jets Ultima recommends. I admit it does run a little rich.Im using stock headpipe 97 FLHT with recored stock mufflers. Set up for cruisin not racin. 

Hillside Motorcycle

Thunderjets in S&S E, G, and D series carbs are a great upgrade, turning the 2 circuit carb into a 3 circuit unit.
On the dyno, you can see clearly the tailored gains that are easily established.
We have literally, installed well over 250 of these......always a home run.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Deye76

Anyone know if a S&S G will work with the Ultima air cleaner?

capn

Yes the Ultima air cleaner will work.

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on January 18, 2020, 08:27:22 AM
I have a 113" Ultima with the R1 carb (G clone). Only time it started and ran good, no decel pop, was rich, AFR 10.5-1. After dyno tuning, with the AFR in a acceptable range, starts hard, lean up top, and decel pop that would please only those who like the sound of popcorn in a microwave. I've been told my some that the R1 is a POS, and I should get a real G. I had a G on a S&S 100" Evo, ran very well,  should I have a Thunder Jet installed on the G? Would a Thunder jet on the R1 help? or waste of time with that carb? TIA.

This jet package is a good starting point if you add the Thunderjet: 036 int., .084 main, 147.5 T-Jet, 190 air bleed.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Deye76

Quote from: turboprop on January 20, 2020, 12:16:49 PM

This jet package is a good starting point if you add the Thunderjet: 036 int., .084 main, 147.5 T-Jet, 190 air bleed.
Thank You Turboprop.
The R1 came with a 31 intermediate, and a 80 Main, and ran good but was a little rich. So I take it the addition of a TJet allows larger jets on the int. & main. 

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on January 20, 2020, 04:06:22 PM
Quote from: turboprop on January 20, 2020, 12:16:49 PM

Thank You Turboprop.
The R1 came with a 31 intermediate, and a 80 Main, and ran good but was a little rich. So I take it the addition of a TJet allows larger jets on the int. & main.

Not really. The combo I gave you is from a tuned 124. Should be a little rich for your 113 but thats a good place to start from. Would rather start rich/safe and slowly lean the various circuits until they are ideal.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Deye76

prodrag1320

the T jet is a very nice addition for S&S carbs,we have a lot of experience installing & using them (have have up to 3 of them on some of our larger CID pro gas bikes) but what we`ve noticed over the years is most people (racers & street riders) really have no clue how they work,what they are actually for & how to tune them.a t jet is a extra tuning circut so a smaller main jet can be used so the chance of a stumble transitioning from int to main jet can be done,that said with a adjustable air bleed,the transition itself cam be moved to higher (or lower) rpm`s.my suggestion would be to get a real S&S carb,see if that cures the problem before going with a t jet,

Deye76

"get a real S&S carb,see if that cures the problem before going with a t jet,"

Makes sense, as I have zero experience with a TJ. Appreciated.

Hybredhog

While we're on the subject, I putting back together a 80" shovel with 9:1 comp.,  a Andrews #1 cam, and for now some 2" drags with baffles. The Carb that this came with is a S&S E with a TJ with a 102 Mikuni jet, .0295int, 72 main, and a 120 Mikuni air bleed. It is kind of over kill for a relatively stock build, was running way rich, and it came out of Iowa . If it didn't have the TJ, I'd start it out with a 28int., and a 64-66 main, as we're at 4K ft. elv.. So what would you TJ experienced guys call in for jetting. I'm not apposed to getting rid of the TJ.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: prodrag1320 on January 21, 2020, 04:29:34 AM
the T jet is a very nice addition for S&S carbs,we have a lot of experience installing & using them (have have up to 3 of them on some of our larger CID pro gas bikes) but what we`ve noticed over the years is most people (racers & street riders) really have no clue how they work,what they are actually for & how to tune them.a t jet is a extra tuning circut so a smaller main jet can be used so the chance of a stumble transitioning from int to main jet can be done,that said with a adjustable air bleed,the transition itself cam be moved to higher (or lower) rpm`s.my suggestion would be to get a real S&S carb,see if that cures the problem before going with a t jet,

^^^^^^^
Yes.
Tuning them is key.
The results clearly speak for themselves.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

prodrag1320

Quote from: jeffscycle on January 21, 2020, 09:42:46 AM
   While we're on the subject, I putting back together a 80" shovel with 9:1 comp.,  a Andrews #1 cam, and for now some 2" drags with baffles. The Carb that this came with is a S&S E with a TJ with a 102 Mikuni jet, .0295int, 72 main, and a 120 Mikuni air bleed. It is kind of over kill for a relatively stock build, was running way rich, and it came out of Iowa . If it didn't have the TJ, I'd start it out with a 28int., and a 64-66 main, as we're at 4K ft. elv.. So what would you TJ experienced guys call in for jetting. I'm not apposed to getting rid of the TJ.

your very close with the jets your thinking about,66 or 68 main jet though.see how it runs,then mess with the t jet

pwmorris

Forget the TJet until you sort out that "carb".

"Lipstick on a pig"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipstick_on_a_pig

Never liked the clones myself, and do a search.....many feel the clones are junk. You decide-
Get a real S&S, and start from there. Start from a potential problem....you get what you get....
No shortcuts.
S&S is King....period.

Racepres

Quote from: pwmorris on January 23, 2020, 05:12:24 PM
Forget the TJet until you sort out that "carb".

"Lipstick on a pig"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipstick_on_a_pig

Never liked the clones myself, and do a search.....many feel the clones are junk. You decide-
Get a real S&S, and start from there. Start from a potential problem....you get what you get....
No shortcuts.
S&S is King....period.
I have Yet to see one in person that is any good at all!!!! Ya get what ya Pay For... or from China???? Maybe Not.