April 23, 2024, 12:47:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

add a belleville washer?

Started by scoopfraser, January 19, 2020, 09:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoopfraser

I've been reading through every post on compensaters that I can find here...I've got a 2000 FXD and I'm replacing some primary components this winter (compensater, compensating sprocket and chain).  I didn't experience any symptoms of failed/failing components just doing it for preventative maintenance (145K kms).  I am wondering if it would be worth adding a belleville washer from the old compensator to the new pack.  I've got a 95" Underground build that makes decent power but is, by no means, a monster.  My thoughts are that pre-loading the washer pack with another spring I could potentially feel more vibes by reducing the spring pack assembly to absorb the pulses.  Anyhow, the physics are beyond me so any comments are welcome.
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

rbabos

Quote from: scoopfraser on January 19, 2020, 09:17:01 AM
I've been reading through every post on compensaters that I can find here...I've got a 2000 FXD and I'm replacing some primary components this winter (compensater, compensating sprocket and chain).  I didn't experience any symptoms of failed/failing components just doing it for preventative maintenance (145K kms).  I am wondering if it would be worth adding a belleville washer from the old compensator to the new pack.  I've got a 95" Underground build that makes decent power but is, by no means, a monster.  My thoughts are that pre-loading the washer pack with another spring I could potentially feel more vibes by reducing the spring pack assembly to absorb the pulses.  Anyhow, the physics are beyond me so any comments are welcome.
You have x amount of rotation available. That limit is what it takes to fully compress the spring flat. If you add a extra washer (disc) you reduce the amount of rotation available or cushion effect before it hits the wall.

Ron

JW113

Just my humble opinion, but I think you're wasting your time and money doing this. Replacing the compensator, that is...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

smoserx1

:agree:

Ditto that.  I ran the original primary components in my 99 for 200000 miles (not km) with no issues.  The only reason it got replaced was I wanted to go from a 3.15 to a 3.37 ratio and I found all the primary components to do this off ebay from a bike with 75000 miles.  Anyway I think that original compensator would have outlasted me.

scoopfraser

Quote from: rbabos on January 19, 2020, 09:24:48 AM
Quote from: scoopfraser on January 19, 2020, 09:17:01 AM
You have x amount of rotation available. That limit is what it takes to fully compress the spring flat. If you add a extra washer (disc) you reduce the amount of rotation available or cushion effect before it hits the wall.

Ron

Thanks Ron for the good explanation.  I guess I was thinking that these comps were a little soft from the factory but, I may have been reading about the 2006-11? model years.

Sean
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

scoopfraser

JW, smoser,

After removing and inspecting these parts I would have to agree.  I got all of the parts from a local powersports wrecker for $70 so I didn't spend a bunch. 

Thanks,
Sean
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

Rob L

weren't the 06 and older twin cam compensators pretty much bullet proof? my buddy has a built 05 road king and is still using the stock compensator with close to 90k on the odo. 07 and newer is the problem area

rbabos

Quote from: Rob L on January 30, 2020, 09:46:29 AM
weren't the 06 and older twin cam compensators pretty much bullet proof? my buddy has a built 05 road king and is still using the stock compensator with close to 90k on the odo. 07 and newer is the problem area
07-10, the worst as in shallow ramp an weak springs. 11-13 SE versions were better in some regards but lacked lube for long life. 14 and up, as good as it gets.
Pre 07s lasted due to smaller dia engine sprockets and less hp/torque. They also ran dry but it takes forever for them to wear out as the stresses were lower on them and the range of motion was quite small.
Ron