April 24, 2024, 05:53:47 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Transmission Pulley Nut Removal

Started by markymark, January 20, 2020, 03:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markymark

2007 FLH. Which way to remove pulley nut ?? Have the correct socket, retainer removed, but this thing is TIGHT Thanks.

Breeze

Six speed pulley nut is Right handed threads. Lefty loosy.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

PoorUB

Buy a new nut, drill two 1/4" holes in opposite sides of the old nut and break it off. It isn't worth the $10 trying to kill yourself getting the old one off.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Leed

Quote from: PoorUB on January 20, 2020, 05:33:41 AM
Buy a new nut, drill two 1/4" holes in opposite sides of the old nut and break it off. It isn't worth the $10 trying to kill yourself getting the old one off.

:up:

jls 64

:agree: +2
js

TXChop

Thought it was just me that did that. I started doing that a while back when i had 2 of the nuts pull threads on install.

les

I never attempt to remove one until I've hit it with a torch for a while.

FSG

Quote from: Leed on January 20, 2020, 06:39:55 AM

:up:  a 3guyz nut

https://www.3guyz.com/component/content/article/16-v-twin/89-procketlocknuts

markymark

I got the nut off. Just held the torch a little longer and it came right off. Thanks for the ideas !!!!

koko3052

Quote from: FSG on January 20, 2020, 01:03:37 PM
Quote from: Leed on January 20, 2020, 06:39:55 AM

:up:  a 3guyz nut

https://www.3guyz.com/component/content/article/16-v-twin/89-procketlocknuts

Don't know how much easier that nut is to get off but what I like is that it is NEVER coming loose unless I want it to.  I use them too. :up:

Boe Cole

Thinking ahead - Does a propane torch produce enough concentrated heat to loosen the nut?
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

markymark

That's what I used. About 5 minutes circling the nut and used  the socket to loosen it.

Boe Cole

Quote from: markymark on January 22, 2020, 09:44:45 AM
That's what I used. About 5 minutes circling the nut and used  the socket to loosen it.

Thank you!!!
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

rbabos

Quote from: Boe Cole on January 22, 2020, 09:31:07 AM
Thinking ahead - Does a propane torch produce enough concentrated heat to loosen the nut?
Not really. By the time you get the heat you want on the nut, the whole area is cooked due to conduction. Oxy will give a more concentrated area heat on the nut itself.
Ron

les

Quote from: Boe Cole on January 22, 2020, 09:31:07 AM

Yes, I do it all the time.

Hossamania

I'm a fan of MAPP gas. Burns a little hotter than propane.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

jjdalynh

jmorton10

Quote from: Hossamania on January 23, 2020, 11:55:09 AM

Agreed, I use MAPP gas all the time.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

motorhogman

Quote from: Hossamania on January 23, 2020, 11:55:09 AM

I use both.. in reality there is only 170 degrees difference. 3.600 vs 3,730 degrees.  Not sure how much difference that makes but if I need to heat up something big like a trailer ball nut I'll use the MAP

https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-mapp-gas-and-propane/
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

hattitude

Anyone used an induction heat tool.....??

I saw one of these in action on a you tube video.... I was intrigued with the way it can heat a nut/bolt quickly without cooking the surrounding area....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAeFvUqTnk0

I remember showing the video to my wife, commenting how cool it was...

She just ordered me one for my birthday...

markymark

Very expensive tool, but it does work. Chrysler recommends it use on Dodge body mount bolts to break the Loctite. Bolts gets very hot.

hattitude

Quote from: markymark on February 13, 2020, 06:55:03 AM
Very expensive tool, but it does work. Chrysler recommends it use on Dodge body mount bolts to break the Loctite. Bolts gets very hot.

Good to know... it certainly looked like it would work in the video.

I'll find out soon enough... wife got an 1800 watt tool for $300...