April 19, 2024, 08:41:00 PM

News:

Front Profile Laced Wheel

Started by Skin, January 21, 2020, 11:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skin

I've got a good Harley front Profile CMV laced wheel  with no rotors, tire or bearings. I'm putting new bearings in and the manual says to install first bearing on the left side. There is a small groove cut in the face of the hub on one side, will that be the left?  how about the DOT stampings, would they indicate a left or right? Any help would appreciated, Thanks

02fxst

You may be able to tell by the valve stem hole unless its in the center

kd

The valve stem generally favors the right.  If the wheel was set up for a front wheel drive mechanical drive speedo the notches or some witness mark from it's presence should be present.  That will be the left side.
KD

Skin

Skin

January 22, 2020, 03:12:33 AM #4 Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 03:49:31 AM by FSG
Ok Gents, I figured it out. I found an old brake rotor that came off the front of a Profile wheel.

The groove is the left side.

[attach=0,msg1331042]

[attach=1,msg1331042]

Skin

The other side of that rotor is stamped "Left"

motorhogman

A few years back I went to change a front tire on my bike. Noticed the rotors were reversed.. L on R and R on L.   Dealer had replaced them under extended warranty. Installed backarsewards intentionally. Found out from some very knowledgeable people on here that was the fix for the squeal..I was complaining about a brake squeal and warped rotors. Never looked at the rotors until I was changing the tire. Just assumed they fixed the squeal with pads, hardware and new rotors..

Any way... after all that,..my point is just because the rotor was marked Left doesn't always mean it was on the left side...
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

FSG

QuoteThe groove is the left side.

:up:   that it is    :SM:   

HD PHD Tutorials and a plethora of J Sheets for various wheel highlight "the groove is the left side"