May 02, 2024, 10:27:50 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

03 C/V carb A/F

Started by 86fxwg, January 22, 2020, 08:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

86fxwg

Anyone know exactly the thread pitch & size of the A/F screw thread's? Got one I need to chase.
I sure don't have it in my tap & die set.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Hossamania

I would try to use a thread chaser first before using a tap. I cannot help with the thread type.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

WML57

6mm diameter.  .75 thread pitch

86fxwg

Quote from: Hossamania on January 22, 2020, 08:20:45 AM
I would try to use a thread chaser first before using a tap. I cannot help with the thread type.
I would too but snap on,matco,nor Mac make a chaser that small.
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

86fxwg

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

WML57

Hybredhog

An old trick I use when I don't have a chaser/ or tap, or oddball thread is to use the known same thread bolt/ part, and cut a vertical slot (with a cut off wheel or hacksaw blade),down the threads for a cleaning space. Now for a odd 6 x .75mm thread like that in brass may be to soft, so a tap is probably the only realistic option. But if you've got a A/F screw with a boogered point to alter could work also. If you ever need a quick cleaning of a spark plug hole, or old Loc-tite off left hand threads like a tranny sprocket nut, or the like. it works great, and throw it in your thread repair box for the next time.

Way back when you couldn't buy new A/F screws or had a screwed up hole, I'd re-tap the upper hold to a 1/4" fine thread. Then bore/drill out a new 1/4"nf screw & epoxy the old point onto the new screw. Owning a lathe is the cheapest special tool you'll ever buy.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Hossamania

Quote from: 86fxwg on January 22, 2020, 09:08:07 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on January 22, 2020, 08:20:45 AM
I would too but snap on,matco,nor Mac make a chaser that small.

Copy.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

86fxwg

More bad news, Snap-on just left,they don't make a 6x.75 tap!  :banghead:

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Ohio HD

Quote from: jeffscycle on January 22, 2020, 10:11:14 AM
  An old trick I use when I don't have a chaser/ or tap, or oddball thread is to use the known same thread bolt/ part, and cut a vertical slot (with a cut off wheel or hacksaw blade),down the threads for a cleaning space. Now for a odd 6 x .75mm thread like that in brass may be to soft, so a tap is probably the only realistic option. But if you've got a A/F screw with a boogered point to alter could work also. If you ever need a quick cleaning of a spark plug hole, or old Loc-tite off left hand threads like a tranny sprocket nut, or the like. it works great, and throw it in your thread repair box for the next time.

Way back when you couldn't buy new A/F screws or had a screwed up hole, I'd re-tap the upper hold to a 1/4" fine thread. Then bore/drill out a new 1/4"nf screw & epoxy the old point onto the new screw. Owning a lathe is the cheapest special tool you'll ever buy.

^^^^^^^^
THIS WORKS