May 02, 2024, 10:24:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2013 H-D SG won't start

Started by iconicbikesrider, January 21, 2020, 12:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iconicbikesrider

Greetings to the Forum,

Have a couple of bikes. One is running one is not.
Since late October 2019, my bikes are garaged. My 2013 H-D SG has only 5K miles. It does not start. Battery is connected to battery tender. Battery is working. Starter turns on. I hear fuel pump "charging Injectors" Engine  turns. Won't start.   I thought it was  old gas. I empty the tank and have fresh gas in it. Replaced spark plugs just in case.
Now, checking for sparks at the plugs, there is no spark. I suspect is the coil. How could I check this? Is there a test for the coil that a non-tech guy like me could do? What should I check next? Where? How?
Please advice.
Best reagrds

Louis

Riding Iconic motorcycles Made In USA.

Scotty

You need to leave plugs in head so there is compression and plug a spare spark plug into the lead to check for spark.
No compression = no spark on those bikes.
Check fuel connection to tank is plugged in tight as well.

motorhogman

How are you checking for spark.. if I'm not mistaken plugs must be installed or that complicated ECM won't see compression and won't make fire.. I'm sure one of these more qualified than me or you will chime in soon. 

Good luck..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

fleetmechanic

Does this bike have a clutch lockout or a sidestand switch?

smoserx1

Coils rarely go bad but can.  As mentioned earlier the spark plugs need to be in the engine to generate compression or the ECM will not signal the coil to fire.  A spare plug grounded to the head is as good a spark tester as you need in most cases although there are other ones you can buy at auto parts stores.  The "coil" assembly used in these bikes is actually a device containing two independent coil windings, so if both both have failed I would suspect something electrically upstream of the coils as the culprit, like maybe the crank position sensor.  If this device is not working the coils will not fire either as the ECM cannot get a signal, and this seems to be a fairly common failure.  This sensor is basically a 2 volt AC generator and can be tested with a decent multitester if the sensor can be isolated.  On my bile I can isolate the sensor by undoing a connector under the bike near the rear brake pedal.  The location is probably different on yours, but should be accessible.  If the CPS is working it should generate ~2 VAC while the engine cranks, and this should not require compression to test.  If this test passes the only other failure I can think of is upstream wiring or the ECM itself.  Good luck.

calif phil

A quick shot of ether will identify if you have a fuel or ignition problem.

iconicbikesrider

Great news.
Have to thank to all that shared your knowledge and advising me to get my bike running again.
The first thing I did was to test for a spark as you guys indicated.
So, I did have a spark. Next was to double check all connections. Making sure that everything was tight and did not show any corrosion.
So, now, I have fresh gas, new spark plugs, ignition apparently was working because I had a spark and had to try a bit of ether. A couple of short burst of Starting Fluid  and boom!! the bike started...a very happy camper here.
Again, thank you for all you help.

motorhogman

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

kd

Quote from: iconicbikesrider on January 22, 2020, 01:55:53 PM
Great news.
Have to thank to all that shared your knowledge and advising me to get my bike running again.
The first thing I did was to test for a spark as you guys indicated.
So, I did have a spark. Next was to double check all connections. Making sure that everything was tight and did not show any corrosion.
So, now, I have fresh gas, new spark plugs, ignition apparently was working because I had a spark and had to try a bit of ether. A couple of short burst of Starting Fluid  and boom!! the bike started...a very happy camper here.
Again, thank you for all you help.

I don't want to be the voice of doom and gloom but I recommend that you try to remember all of the connections and wires you checked, cleaned, lubed or wiggled.  IMO the ether should not have been required if nothing was wrong.  If you didn't try it without after you checked and wiggled everything you will never know why it "seemed" to make the difference.  If this occurs again I would try each connection one at a time and try to start it to isolate the actual problem.  Hopefully you fixed it and it won't reoccur some dark rainy night out in the country.  :crook: 
KD

iconicbikesrider

KD,
Great advise. Since the riding season is a couple months away, I will turn the bike on every two o three days to see what happen. I will keep you posted.
Thank you again.