April 18, 2024, 09:08:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

clutch cover

Started by david lee, January 21, 2020, 02:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

ive got a reverse for my trike. now to fit it the clutch cover will be spaced out. my problem will be the bolt that conects the hydraulic to the cover will hit the top pipe.ive got 2 options grind the bolt head half width and hope it clears or put a indentation in the top off the pipe. what would be the best way to do the indentation thanks all

Hossamania

I would start with the indentation, maybe grind just a touch off the bolt head, but mostly indent to clear. You might be able to loosen the whole exhaust a bit and move it slightly to gain extra clearance, this may need the floor board spaced out slightly to clear as well.
Just a little custom work that only you know about, but wear proudly!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

I personally would consider cutting a tapered seat into the banjo fitting and use a tapered flat head socket fastener to flush fit the fitting instead of the copper gasket / hex head.  The tapered seat bolt can be drilled out on a lathe, a shoulder cut and cross drilled for fluid flow.  Make a couple Or so and have a spare.

Kinda like this cap screw.   https://m.alibaba.com/amp/product/60697292121.html

Drilled like this.   https://www.belmetric.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4412&cPath=1041_854_1496&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvbDsgKmW5wIVBaSzCh1MoAYYEAQYASABEgLFiPD_BwE&zenid=48jvi6kt5n39sfcquko570m7q0

You can probably buy what you need local or on a short wait order. It'll look factory and your pipe will stay beautiful.    :wink:
KD

david lee

it was suggested to turn the cover up side down.does that make sense ? would it work with the internal ? it would solve the problem thanks

rigidthumper

Quote from: david lee on January 21, 2020, 10:12:15 PM
it was suggested to turn the cover up side down.does that make sense ? would it work with the internal ? it would solve the problem thanks
No- that moves the slave cylinder in front of the countershaft, and your pushrod is in the mainshaft.
I'd remove the heat shields, carefully mark the area with a sharpie, remove the pipes, dimple with a ball peen hammer until clearance is acquired, and reinstall pipes/shields.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

friday

what about a different fitting than a banjo

kd

If I understand your question, I believe you would have to change the internal threads in the cover unless you can come up with a matching non tapered thread on a tight street elbow and use a jam nut to seal it.  It may not end up any closer to the cover for clearance.
KD

david lee

Quote from: rigidthumper on January 22, 2020, 04:36:10 AM
Quote from: david lee on January 21, 2020, 10:12:15 PM
No- that moves the slave cylinder in front of the countershaft, and your pushrod is in the mainshaft.
I'd remove the heat shields, carefully mark the area with a sharpie, remove the pipes, dimple with a ball peen hammer until clearance is acquired, and reinstall pipes/shields.
that was my first thought.a mate said go back to a cable clutch.id never do that hydraulic is so much better thanks

Burnout

See if you can find an allen head banjo bolt, that should get you a smidge more room.
It's been proven that denting the header in a minor fashion will not hurt performance measurably.

It's a rule violation, but I use a largeish ball peen to make the dent by hitting the ball peen with another hammer.
Use a deadblow, brass, or a lead mallet if there is a safety guy lurking nearby.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

By the looks of it, you have a "fat" banjo eye fitting and standard banjo bolt.

Google for "low profile banjo fitting". They make eye bolts that the body is about as thick as the tube, and the bolt head is about half the thickness as standard. These are made for tight fit connections, such as you appear to have.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

hbkeith

Quote from: JW113 on January 23, 2020, 01:49:06 PM
By the looks of it, you have a "fat" banjo eye fitting and standard banjo bolt.

Google for "low profile banjo fitting". They make eye bolts that the body is about as thick as the tube, and the bolt head is about half the thickness as standard. These are made for tight fit connections, such as you appear to have.

-JW
and , you don't know till you start installing , may be able to shim exhaust out a little , no one is there but you