March 28, 2024, 11:32:04 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rocker Arms Shot

Started by VDeuce, January 21, 2020, 03:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDeuce

These stock rockers have about 9500 miles on them and their tips are shot. Valve tips are fine. Cam was a T-Man 226-2, SE heads with stock springs. This is the front exhaust rocker. Intake was ok. Rear rockers are both fine, but may replace them all.

Have new ported heads going on with Wood 408 cam and new AV&V springs. I'll replace these with stock. Thought about the SE adjustables, but if their tips are the same, not interested.

rigidthumper

January 22, 2020, 05:53:42 AM #1 Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:51:26 AM by Ohio HD
That one may just have been hardened inadequately.

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ohio HD

rbabos

Oops. Somebody missed the quench part.
Ron

Durwood

Quote from: VDeuce on January 21, 2020, 03:51:01 PM
These stock rockers have about 9500 miles on them and their tips are shot. Valve tips are fine. Cam was a T-Man 226-2, SE heads with stock springs. This is the front exhaust rocker. Intake was ok. Rear rockers are both fine, but may replace them all.

Have new ported heads going on with Wood 408 cam and new AV&V springs. I'll replace these with stock. Thought about the SE adjustables, but if their tips are the same, not interested.
I have mine apart right now swapping heads. 13K miles and only witness marks on them. Thanks for posting, definitely something to inspect if a guy is in there.

VDeuce

Could be a hardness issue, possibly. I have not heard of any real issues with these.
Pushrods were clear and plenty of oil in the rocker shafts, so it was getting oil.

Now the wait for replacements begins lol.

barny7655

Did  this motor have a noisy top end from the start of the cam replacement? or develop a noise? by the look  sure wasnt the lack of oil ,thinking preload on the exaust, are the lifts the same on the camshaft , i havent the specs in front of me ? were the springs shimmed,? for this cam on both inlet and exaust .Has to be a reason for this pounding of the rockers, as to excessive clearance between the rocker and valve stem, keep us posted
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

VDeuce

Quote from: barny7655 on January 23, 2020, 05:49:25 PM
     Did  this motor have a noisy top end from the start of the cam replacement? or develop a noise? by the look  sure wasnt the lack of oil ,thinking preload on the exaust, are the lifts the same on the camshaft , i havent the specs in front of me ? were the springs shimmed,? for this cam on both inlet and exaust .Has to be a reason for this pounding of the rockers, as to excessive clearance between the rocker and valve stem, keep us posted
Asymptomatic. Typical initial startup lifter clack if sitting for a few days; quit within seconds. Lifters were Feuling. Heads were SE with their stock springs. Cam is .520 lift on both intake and exhaust.

It's going back together with different heads (stock ported by Ward) with AV&V springs setup for .580 lift. New Wood 408 cam has .520 lift. Using Wood lifters.

I've ordered 2 replacement rockers for the front cylinder and will run it.

Who knows...  :pop:

barny7655

seems very strang that you have these issues with STD springs , good luck with new build
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

joe_lyons

Quote from: barny7655 on January 25, 2020, 05:58:29 PM
seems very strang that you have these issues with STD springs , good luck with new build

STD springs for the SE heads which are their high lift springs which some were found to have issues with the springs.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Hillside Motorcycle

Hardening process looks to be non-existant.
Witnessed 1991-92 883 XL's with non-hardened crank pins from the factory on multiple occasions.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"