April 24, 2024, 04:58:38 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Recommend a warranty covered stage II?

Started by wnogood, January 22, 2020, 07:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wnogood

Good morning. I just purchased a 2020 street glide special with the 114 engine. The selling dealer says that I cannot use an aftermarket tuner, or a non-oe headpipe to retain my 7 years of warranty. I know that HD makes a non-cat headpipe, but it comes with some garbage cat mufflers, and is like $1300 retail. I dig the performance I have with just rinehart mufflers, but it seems these M8 bikes really gain a lot with a cam change and decent tune. I'm not a high RPM rider, but I don't want to leave torque on the table if I can do a cam change and get a decent OE tune from the dealer. Am I dreaming that this is possible? What do the gurus recommend for a SE cam and factory tuner?
2020 SGS 122" stonewashed white pearl

motorhogman

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

wnogood

Hossamania

A friend just had his 2019 Limited 114" done with an SE Harley torque cam (not sure of the model number) and an SE tuner. He is pretty happy with it. He said the dealer did a Dyno tune, but I'm skeptical that it was just a flash tune. Even if Dyno tuned, it is very limited to EPA compliant, rather than most efficient tune. He did use some aftermarket slip-on mufflers, Vance and Hines I think, and was able to keep his factory and extended warranty. With that dealer anyway.
I think HD only offers a couple different cams, and only the SE tuner can be used to keep warranty.
Talk with your dealer, they will tell you the options for keeping your warranty with a stage ll build. Most recommendations you get here will be to void warranty and do it properly, as you have seen.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

wnogood

Quote from: Hossamania on January 22, 2020, 08:16:06 AM
A friend just had his 2019 Limited 114" done with an SE Harley torque cam (not sure of the model number) and an SE tuner. He is pretty happy with it. He said the dealer did a Dyno tune, but I'm skeptical that it was just a flash tune. Even if Dyno tuned, it is very limited to EPA compliant, rather than most efficient tune. He did use some aftermarket slip-on mufflers, Vance and Hines I think, and was able to keep his factory and extended warranty. With that dealer anyway.
I think HD only offers a couple different cams, and only the SE tuner can be used to keep warranty.
Talk with your dealer, they will tell you the options for keeping your warranty with a stage ll build. Most recommendations you get here will be to void warranty and do it properly, as you have seen.

Thanks. It feels like a whole lot of hearsay, but the basic feeling I get is that if you change the headpipe (Catalyst) or use any aftermarket tuner, the warranty "CAN" be null and void. I almost wonder if it's intentionally vague to allow plenty of gray area for dealers and the manufacturer to deny warranty claims. Part of me wants the 131" kit, and part of me knows that 131" is asking a lot from a touring bike engine. Stretching the limits of durability if you will.

rigidthumper

If you wish to keep the 7 year warranty you paid for, then you should be considering riding the bike. If you modify it, you own it.
Original HD coverage only covers the original parts for 2 years-ESP picks up after that. If you add SE parts, then SE ESP coverage must be purchased separately. Dealer can help with all of that.
SE Street Cannons, SE Hi flow AC, SE Street Tuner, and SE8-447 cam make for a usable package that can be added to the ESP plan.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

PoorUB

Wnogood. Maybe you missed it, but a couple years back Harley got thier butt spanked by the EPA. If you modify you engine with anything other than what Harley offers you have voided your warranty.  There is some grey area because some aftermarket  manufacturers build exhausts that comply with EPA.
I can guarantee that if you swap out the exhaust with something  with no catalytic converter you voided the warranty.
A dealer  might stick his neck out and claim he will cover mods they do, but if you break down away from that dealer you are probably screwed. Plus dealers have been "flagging" motorcycles that have been modified with something other than Harleys EPA approved parts.

Any, modify at your own risk. If you want to maintain your warranty,  it has to be Harley approved.  Anything else good luck, you are on your own.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

hulkss

My warranty safe 114 stage II runs nice.

H-D 447 Torque Cam, H-D Street Tuner & Pro Tuning Module (wideband O2s), S&S CARB certified slip-on mufflers, stock air cleaner and intake.

[attach=0]

wnogood

Quote from: hulkss on January 28, 2020, 11:54:24 AM

H-D 447 Torque Cam, H-D Street Tuner & Pro Tuning Module (wideband O2s), S&S CARB certified slip-on mufflers, stock air cleaner and intake.

[attach=0,msg1331819]

Thanks for sharing. Thats pretty impressive for whats in it, and that it's covered by OEM warranty. That may be the route I go...

1workinman

Quote from: wnogood on January 30, 2020, 01:54:01 PM
Quote from: hulkss on January 28, 2020, 11:54:24 AM

[attach=0,msg1331819]

Thanks for sharing. Thats pretty impressive for whats in it, and that it's covered by OEM warranty. That may be the route I go...
Looks pretty good to me . I don't really care about warranty but I know  its important . If I know the motor is built with good or better parts and workmanship then I good but on a new m8 I sure want warranty especially with the sumping , but that may be a thing of the past I don't know . I think the 4 valve cylinder head motors have potential for sure.