April 23, 2024, 07:52:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Auto Tunes

Started by arussell52, January 22, 2020, 08:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arussell52

Considering doing a Vance and Hines Fuelpak Auto-Tune on a 2015 CVO Streeglde. Any of you guys have used this tuner? If so, what are your thoughts? Any suggestions on other can tunes? Just trying to add a little more fuel to the fuel and air mixture. Want the bike to run a little cooler.

markymark

Many posts here on tuners and such. V&H does not seem to be highly rated.

arussell52

Thanks! That seems to be what I am hearing from other places also.

1workinman

I recommend having the bike tuned but I also going to suggest that to pick up the bike when the motor is dead cold and start it up and see how it idles cold and to also drive it and see how it runs like off idle . Drive it in many throttle positions not just WFO just an idea good luck

kd

January 22, 2020, 05:18:11 PM #4 Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 10:37:56 PM by kd
 :agree:  A real tune is not just WFO and a graph. It is driveability, cold, warm and hot starting, detonation (or the absence of it), hot engine temp, raw fuel smell if any, and decel to name a few.  Extra power and decent mileage is the result of getting all that right.  Vet out the tuner you choose for experience and success rate and use the device they like the best for the best outcome.  There are only a few devices that seem to be recommended here.  Do some dyno page comparisons in the dyno section to get some ideas.  Good luck. 
KD

sfmichael

just say no to the Fuelpak  :down:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Y2KRKNG

90% of the HD guys buy a bike and put the $500 air cleaner they like to look at and some louder pipes that look pretty. For these guys a $200-$300 FP3 is well spent IF it's that or nothing at all.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

1workinman

Quote from: Y2KRKNG on January 23, 2020, 08:05:35 AM
90% of the HD guys buy a bike and put the $500 air cleaner they like to look at and some louder pipes that look pretty. For these guys a $200-$300 FP3 is well spent IF it's that or nothing at all.
Well that is probably true lol

No Cents

Quote from: sfmichael on January 22, 2020, 09:22:08 PM
just say no to the Fuelpak  :down:

^ ^ ^ ^
  this   :up:
   get yourself an actual tuning device like TTS or Power Vision...then have a true professional dyno tuner tune it. You will feel the difference and the bike should run cooler after having a proper tune installed.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

arussell52

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the feedback!

FLFBRider

I don't get all the hate for the Fuelpac3.
I have a 09' Fatboy 96tc. I purchased the Fuelpac3 when I did the stage 1, which consisted of Rinehart slip ons, AN filter and intake. I downloaded the canned V&H map for my combo and it ran fantastic.

When I later went to S&S 551 cams I again selected the canned map that matched my cams and installed that. It ran like crap. It stumbled, would backfire and I lost all my gas mileage. I called V&H and told them how it was running. No problem they said. They had me send them the map I was running and they adjusted it on their end and over the phone flashed it back into my bikes ECM. Took maybe 10 minutes.

Night and day difference!
It was running excellent with no more stumble, no more backfire and my mileage was back to normal. I put in a new set of plugs and ran it for 200 miles. Pulled the plugs and the front cylinder was just a tad rich.

Got V&H on the phone and they again adjusted my map and reflashed it to my ECM. Cleaned the plugs and rode another 200 miles. Checked the plugs and they are perfect. Very easy process and retuning cost me nothing other than some new plugs. Bike runs outstanding. Runs cool and fuel mileage has actually improved a little.

I love the Fuelpac. V&H has been setting performance records for along time now and they have dominated various forms of motorcycle racing for years now. I would think they might know a few things about tuning a Harley engine this way. What's also nice is that any updates to the Fuelpac system is automatically downloaded to your app. at no cost to you.

Personally I hate the idea of paying someone $400 to run the crap out of my bike for 3 hours and then hand me a sheet of paper that means nothing to me. I can't ride the paper. I want real riding results I can feel. Tuners are just doing the same thing as the Fuelpac only on a machine. They just adjust numbers on a tuner of their liking and charge tons of money.

Maybe professional tuners hate the Fuelpac because people who purchase it don't need to go to a pro tuner any longer? Not knocking the pro tuners out there, I just didn't need one to get my bike running fantastic. :nix:

Ohio HD

How do you know it's running as good as it can with the parts you paid for? Also you have no idea where the AFR values are at. As well the fuel pack is limited as to what it can adjust.

Since this is a tech site, that's why there is no love for a plug and guess product. 99% of everyone here knows that a full dyno tune will be the best way to make sure the motor doesn't have rich or lean spots (resulting in motor heat), as well as getting all of the low, mid and upper end power you paid for with the parts you installed.

FLFBRider

I know it runs fantastic!
I know it runs cool.
I know the plugs look perfect.
I know my fuel mileage is better now.
I know I still have $400 in my pocket.
I know my bike wasn't run to the rev limiter for 3 hours off and on.

And most of all, I know I'm extremely happy with the performance and the customer support from V&H. What's not to like?  :chop:

FLFBRider

Would also like to add: For every 1 person that hates the Fuelpac there are hundreds that absolutely LOVE it! You only hear from the haters usually.

It's like everything else out there. Your gonna have haters and lovers.

Ohio HD

Quote from: FLFBRider on March 28, 2020, 06:55:48 PM
I know it runs fantastic!
I know it runs cool.
I know the plugs look perfect.
I know my fuel mileage is better now.
I know I still have $400 in my pocket.
I know my bike wasn't run to the rev limiter for 3 hours off and on.

And most of all, I know I'm extremely happy with the performance and the customer support from V&H. What's not to like?  :chop:

I know it runs fantastic!  Where's the proof? Dyno sheet, drag strip time slip?

I know it runs cool.  What was the average head temperature before, and what is it now?

I know the plugs look perfect.  Did you know that modern unleaded fuels don't leave color like leaded gas did? Of course you didn't.

I know my fuel mileage is better now.  So it's running leaner huh?

I know I still have $400 in my pocket.  So?

I know my bike wasn't run to the rev limiter for 3 hours off and on.  A good dyno tune last longer than 3 hours. And 90% of the tuning is way below the rev limiter. You're uninformed.

Remember, this is a tech site, not a I think and feel site.

Glad that your happy.

FLFBRider

Quote from: arussell52 on January 22, 2020, 08:52:24 AM
Considering doing a Vance and Hines Fuelpak Auto-Tune on a 2015 CVO Streeglde. Any of you guys have used this tuner? If so, what are your thoughts? Any suggestions on other can tunes? Just trying to add a little more fuel to the fuel and air mixture. Want the bike to run a little cooler.

The OP was looking for opinions on the V&H unit and for their thoughts.
I gave him my opinion and thoughts just like he asked. I thought I was being helpful.

I guess your opinion and thoughts differ from mine and you felt the need to be combative and immature in your view. So I guess anyone who has a different view from yours gets treated like this? How can your views be benifical to the OP's original question?  :scratch:

Coyote

If fuelpack auto tune is so good, tell me why you had to keep asking for maps from them.  :wink:

FLFBRider

I know it runs fantastic!  Where's the proof? Dyno sheet, drag strip time slip?
MY BUTT and 30 years of riding Harleys.

I know it runs cool.  What was the average head temperature before, and what is it now?
Based on oil temp.

I know the plugs look perfect.  Did you know that modern unleaded fuels don't leave color like leaded gas did? Of course you didn't.
Untrue. Plugs will still show over rich and excessive lean conditions and oil fouling.
NASCAR fuel is Sunoco Green E15, a 98 octane, unleaded fuel (modern fuel) they rely heavily on reading plugs for track tuning. I guess they never got the memo.

Fuel mileage is increased due to engine efficiency and proper tune.

I know I still have $400 in my pocket.  So?
So I'm retired and on a fixed income. $400 in my pocket feels pretty good!

FLFBRider

Quote from: Coyote on March 28, 2020, 07:55:16 PM
If fuelpack auto tune is so good, tell me why you had to keep asking for maps from them.  :wink:

I didn;t ask for a new map, only a tweek on my current map. Took a whole 10 minutes and $0 dollars. Let's see a pro tuner do that! Lets say your on a ride and your bike starts running excessively lean, what do you do? With your tuner you run back to the guy that tuned it and pay him for his services. How long does that take?

Me, I call V&H and get it corrected. Took 10 minutes and $0 dollars! Bike runs perfect! Yea, I'll stick with V&H.  :up: :wink:

Coyote

Quote from: FLFBRider on March 28, 2020, 08:05:54 PM

I didn;t ask for a new map, only a tweek on my current map. Took a whole 10 minutes and $0 dollars. Let's see a pro tuner do that! Lets say your on a ride and your bike starts running excessively lean, what do you do? With your tuner you run back to the guy that tuned it and pay him for his services. How long does that take?

Me, I call V&H and get it corrected. Took 10 minutes and $0 dollars! Bike runs perfect! Yea, I'll stick with V&H.  :up: :wink:

Actually I tuned my bike (myself) with a Power Vision.  It never just ends up lean.

Again, why would you need to go back to V&H for help if you have an Auto Tuner? Shouldn't it just, uh, Autotune?

I'll add this as well. You keep saying your bike runs great. The thing is, "great" to you just means it runs as good as you've ever had it run. It does not mean it runs as well as it could, or even close to that. If you're happy with that, then that's good for you. But as a tech site, it's important to let the OP know he could do better than a FP3. I know he could, it's been shown time and time again.

98fxstc

As Steve Cole says

"The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best."

I guess it is also important to understand what you want
The Fuelpak maybe good enough for some people, maybe good enough for some on this forum
But on a tech site such as this one there are many who want the best performance and know the Fuelpak does not cut it
For anyone content with stock or stage 1 the Fuelpak may be ok

Nastytls

Quote from: FLFBRider on March 28, 2020, 07:57:48 PM

Fuel mileage is increased due to engine efficiency and proper tune.

I'm sorry, you literally have no idea if you have a proper tune or not. That is a 100% indisputable fact.

Most people think their bike runs great from the factory... that is, until they have their stock bike tuned and realize they were wrong. It was "good enough" to meet EPA reg's. I'm not a Dyno operator, so I have no dog in this fight. That being said, you're making blanket statements based on ignorance on the subject, which is not helpful for those seeking informed opinions. While you may feel that good enough is "great", it is not for many other guys. Then again, it is clearly good enough for a lot.

FXDBI

Quote from: FLFBRider on March 28, 2020, 08:05:54 PM

Ignorance is bliss... Bob

kd

:agree:  Maybe someone that has had both experiences will chime in.  Most just do their research and make informed choices.  BTW, if a part of my TTS tune is closed loop and I experience a change, I can lift the tune data and send it to my tuner for a tweek too.
KD

FXDBI

I should also add I  bought my power vision from Fuel Moto and they will send me new maps or view data logging and adjust the map for free has well. FP3 just doesn't have the features of a real tuner.  Bob