March 28, 2024, 04:26:12 AM

News:

Daytona Beach Howdy!

Started by FLFBRider, January 22, 2020, 04:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLFBRider

59 years old and retired Grandfather of 2.Married 39 years. My wife teaches the blind in the public school system. 2 grown daughters. Oldest daughter has the 2 grandkids and her husband is a Snapon tool salesman. Youngest daughter is an Architect.
Originally from Morgantown,WV. Moved to Fl in 90'
Transmission rebuilder for 20 years then Heavy Equipment mech. til retirement.
Riding for 30 years. Honda,Yamaha and Harleys.
Owned and drove Dirt latemodels and UMP dirt modifieds.

Currently riding an 09' Fatboy
Stage2
96ci
S&S 551 cams
Fueling lifters
S&S solid pushrods
AN Big Sucker
Rinehart exhaust

Do all my own work.

SixShooter14

Howdy and welcome from Arkansas.

It sounds like you know your way around the toolbox. But if'n you need any help, or can offer help. The General and TC sections are probably most relevant.

Oh, and you wouldn't happen to know anything about old-ish John Deere Track-loaders would ya?
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

jls 64

Another welcome from py South America.
js

FLFBRider

Quote from: SixShooter14 on January 22, 2020, 04:59:33 PM

It sounds like you know your way around the toolbox. But if'n you need any help, or can offer help. The General and TC sections are probably most relevant.

Oh, and you wouldn't happen to know anything about old-ish John Deere Track-loaders would ya?

How old? What model?

SixShooter14

January 22, 2020, 06:57:40 PM #4 Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:06:33 PM by SixShooter14
Quote from: FLFBRider on January 22, 2020, 06:46:23 PM
Quote from: SixShooter14 on January 22, 2020, 04:59:33 PM

How old? What model?
haha, I was kinda 1/2 joking.... But it's a 455E (mid-80s?) it needs the track bushings replaced and you might say I'm avoiding it.  :embarrassed:

FLFBRider

Did a JD 333D once for track bushings.

Used a Porta-power and a torch. Put pressure on the bushing with the Porta-power and add heat then hit with water. The bushing will pop loose. Finish taking it out with the Porta-power. I mainly focused on hydraulics. I ran the mobile hose truck for years. Went to the job site and removed failed hose/hoses, built a new hose with fittings and installed. Nasty Nasty job.

Try crawling under a D9 dozer at the public landfill at 12 midnight, removing the belly pan and replace 2 transmission hoses. All this while it was parked on top of tons of garbage. OH, and did I mention it was during a thunder storm! True story. Happened dozens of times.

SixShooter14

Quote from: FLFBRider on January 23, 2020, 01:41:55 PM
Did a JD 333D once for track bushings.

Used a Porta-power and a torch. Put pressure on the bushing with the Porta-power and add heat then hit with water. The bushing will pop loose. Finish taking it out with the Porta-power. I mainly focused on hydraulics. I ran the mobile hose truck for years. Went to the job site and removed failed hose/hoses, built a new hose with fittings and installed. Nasty Nasty job.

Try crawling under a D9 dozer at the public landfill at 12 midnight, removing the belly pan and replace 2 transmission hoses. All this while it was parked on top of tons of garbage. OH, and did I mention it was during a thunder storm! True story. Happened dozens of times.
Yeah, I was looking at portable hyd. track presses. The $5k+ price tag scared me away. I'm seriously considering a full chain replacement. Then reuse my shoes and maybe weld on new grousers.

I think the price I found for bushings was about $800 per side, a new chain was about $1200, assembled....

Oh, and no thanks on the D9 in a landfill. I want no part of that.

Leed

Welcome from Texas!  You sound handy so you can gets lots of advice on turning that 09 into a fire breathing monster...   :SM:

harttoo