April 16, 2024, 04:00:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Best 32 tooth compensator eliminator

Started by hattitude, January 23, 2020, 08:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hattitude

I have a 2016 Ultra Classic with FuelMoto's version of the 124" S&S crate engine installed. It dyno'd at 136HP and 151TQ...

The compensator was making noise before the engine swap, and now it rattles at idle. The engine has a nice lope at idle and shakes the compensator... I could probably shim it, but if I'm going to take off the compensator, I've decided to go to a solid engine sprocket and lose the compensator...

I'd like to go with a 32 tooth sprocket over a 34 or 30 tooth...

I've done a search, and most threads are about whether or not to use a solid sprocket... I haven't seen any recommendations about which one to use.... other than, "I used an XXXX".

I'm thinking of using the Twin Power 32T Compensator Eliminator kit. It's not cheap, but it comes with their manual chain adjuster, instead of a shoe to fit over the OEM adjuster...

So who makes the best compensator eliminator sprocket.....??? 

Any recommendations, or reports of bad sprocket kits....???

Any experience with the Twin Power kit...????

Thanks in advance for any insight or shared experience....

kd

January 23, 2020, 08:44:43 PM #1 Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 08:49:46 PM by kd
 :scratch:   If your comp spokes and ramps aren't worn, it's 1 or 2 $4.00 shims away from a possible fix.  Have you measured the stack height?

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=82010.msg917659#msg917659

.... unless you just want the gearing change.  Dropping down 2 teeth on the engine sprocket may be too much to use the stock chain and get an adjuster to work.  If it does take the slack out of the chain the chain angle coming off the sprocket and onto the basket will be severe.  A new shorter chain may be required.  I know a change from 46 to 49 on the basket does.

KD

hattitude

Quote from: kd on January 23, 2020, 08:44:43 PM

:scratch:   If your comp spokes and ramps aren't worn, it's 1 or 2 $4.00 shims away from a possible fix.  Have you measured the stack height?

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=82010.msg917659#msg917659

Thanks for that link, I saved it when Joe originally posted it......

I plan to remove the comp and if the spokes and ramps are OK, I'll measure... I'm not against shimming it if all else is in good condition....

I'd kind of like to do a gear change. Not totally sure just yet. I've had a couple suggest the 30 tooth gear, but with the freeway speeds out here in SoCal, I think that might be a bit too much. That's why I'm leaning towards a 32 tooth. At 32 teeth, I believe I'll need a shoe for the OEM chain adjuster or a different primary chain adjuster like the twin power kit supplies.

I'm doing my research now, so once it's apart,  if I decide (or need) to replace the comp, I'll have plan "B" already figured out and I'll have less down time...

kd

January 24, 2020, 05:18:56 AM #3 Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 07:55:07 AM by kd
Here's a couple of options for your plan B bag.  A 31 trans sprocket is a nice little drop in ratio and  the stock belt still works.  Added to a 49 tooth clutch basket sprocket (for which a chain is available) you end up at 3.16 which is a great all around ratio.  Of course when you start doling out that 151 ft lbs of torque you may end up doing a chain conversion.  That'll open up lots of quick change ratio options.
KD

No Cents

...if...you have a good smooth bottom end this is a fair deal on a 32 tooth comp eliminator option.
Vulcan Works makes it.

[attach=0,msg1331287]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

hattitude

kd... good info, thanks for those options.. I've yet to tackle replacing a trans sprocket... there's always a first time...

No Cents...Thanks for that info... it looks the exact same as the Twin Power Kit, just different branding... I wonder who actually makes it..? Vulcan is selling it for less than than Twin Power though, it's now on the list...

No Cents

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

1workinman

Quote from: hattitude on January 24, 2020, 07:58:40 AM
kd... good info, thanks for those options.. I've yet to tackle replacing a trans sprocket... there's always a first time...

No Cents...Thanks for that info... it looks the exact same as the Twin Power Kit, just different branding... I wonder who actually makes it..? Vulcan is selling it for less than than Twin Power though, it's now on the list...
I pulled the black bike down and its a middle of the road 124 engine . I had bought a 49 tooth basket from evolution a billet piece and inspect the other pieces in the primary . The chain was very tight and I replaced the compensator and welded the new tensioner . I checked the new shim pack . I later on found out about the tab that can be installed to tensioner to stop the chain from getting tight . I had never done this work either but I had help from messages and it went smooth . I have the oiling tray in it to help the spokes last longer. Its is very quiet now better than before probably from the very tight chain . I like the deeper gear also . I used the golden spectro gear oil in the primary also . I been told that the chain can over tighten from standing on the motor when primary is still cold . For what ever reason I done with that crap

hattitude

Quote from: 1workinman on January 25, 2020, 07:14:57 AM
Quote from: hattitude on January 24, 2020, 07:58:40 AM

I pulled the black bike down and its a middle of the road 124 engine . I had bought a 49 tooth basket from evolution a billet piece and inspect the other pieces in the primary . The chain was very tight and I replaced the compensator and welded the new tensioner . I checked the new shim pack . I later on found out about the tab that can be installed to tensioner to stop the chain from getting tight . I had never done this work either but I had help from messages and it went smooth . I have the oiling tray in it to help the spokes last longer. Its is very quiet now better than before probably from the very tight chain . I like the deeper gear also . I used the golden spectro gear oil in the primary also . I been told that the chain can over tighten from standing on the motor when primary is still cold . For what ever reason I done with that crap

Thanks for sharing your experience... I'm weighing all options

Rob L

I use the Drag Specialties eliminator sprocket

jmorton10

I have the Vulcan comp eliminator setup in my 07 124" RK, I'm real happy with it.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

hattitude

Thanks both for sharing your experience/opinions....

I am leaning towards the vulcan because of their own tensioner, instead of putting a shoe on the OEM tensioner.

Good to hear (or not hear) of anyone with bad experiences with the Vulcan tensioner...