April 25, 2024, 12:37:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Front suspension upgrade Heritage Softail

Started by Stuffa, January 24, 2020, 03:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuffa

I've been running with race tech springs and emulators for a few years. These are better than stock but are a bit harsh mainly when hitting bumps in the road. I'm having a back op next month.
I have been looking for a better suspension package but doesn't seem to be a lot on offer for the Heritage.
Traxxion AK 20's is one option and Legend say they are releasing AXEO cartridge sometime this year.
I would like some input as to what people have installed and how they find them

Scotty

January 24, 2020, 04:02:59 PM #1 Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:08:56 PM by Scotty
I pulled racetech springs out and replaced with progressive springs (yeah yeah heard all the doomsayers say it don't work and blah blah)
Best thing I ever did and done quite a few bikes for other people and for the money spent no-one has complained.
I found the racetech springs very harsh on Aussie roads but the gold valves are great so keep them.

biggzed

Not sure what year your Heritage is, but it looks like Progressive makes a Monotube kit for softail applications. I really liked the ride when I installed them on my Road Glide. Might check in to those.

Zach

ThumperDeuce

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

92flhtcu

For the money, the Progressive Springs are great upgrade over stock, not having experienced your current set-up, it may be better or not. I've never heard one complaint from replacing stock springs with the Progressive springs. The Progressive Tube kits are usually well received also, but are substantially more money
Need a bigger garage

wolf_59

Tried the monotubes on my 06 ultra turned it from too soft stock ride to extremely harsh went with the progressive springs no complaints
Also installed the progressive springs on my 04 fatboy turned out great

speedzter

Quote from: Scotty on January 24, 2020, 04:02:59 PM
I found the racetech springs very harsh on Aussie roads but the gold valves are great so keep them.

Scotty, just wondering why you generalize and say the Racetech springs are "harsh" ?
I would think that using the correct spring rate, along with correct damping, you should be able to tune it to whatever suits your requirements ?
Valving is usually the main cause of "harsh when hitting bumps" .

I think the trick here is correct parts, and correct tuning.

Scotty

January 25, 2020, 09:33:45 PM #7 Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:17:35 AM by FSG
Quote from: speedzter on January 25, 2020, 04:34:59 PM
Scotty, just wondering why you generalize and say the Racetech springs are "harsh" ?
I would think that using the correct spring rate, along with correct damping, you should be able to tune it to whatever suits your requirements ?

Tried everything with the racetech springs and heard it all before exactly what you are saying. Read everything and talked to the "experts" and the normal folk who actually ride and bottom line is that progressive springs and gold valves work better together than racetech springs and gold valves.

Now you might have a different result and kudos to you if you do but I am never wasting my time with racetech springs ever again.

Stuffa

I pulled racetech springs out and replaced with progressive springs (yeah yeah heard all the doomsayers say it don't work and blah blah)
Best thing I ever did and done quite a few bikes for other people and for the money spent no-one has complained.

Hey Scotty,  Thanks for that info. What oil are you running with the progressives and gold valves?

Stuffa

Quote from: ThumperDeuce on January 24, 2020, 05:32:31 PM
I use these in my Deuce:

https://traxxion.com/Harley-Davidson/

Mate how do you find these? Did you install yourself or did you get Traxxion to install? I read you have to make a mod to the tubes

IronButt70

I put the progressive monotube kit on my 17 softail. I chose the option to lower it 1". The ride was much improved but since I only weigh 160# I found it to be a tad stiff.  I called their CS and they recommended removing 1 of the 4 upper spacers. Haven't done that yet because it isn't that big of a deal and I haven't been motivated to pull the front end with a fairing apart again.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Scotty

Quote from: Stuffa on January 28, 2020, 03:00:54 AM

Hey Scotty,  Thanks for that info. What oil are you running with the progressives and gold valves?

20w

ThumperDeuce

Quote from: Stuffa on January 28, 2020, 03:08:01 AM
Quote from: ThumperDeuce on January 24, 2020, 05:32:31 PM
I use these in my Deuce:

https://traxxion.com/Harley-Davidson/

Mate how do you find these? Did you install yourself or did you get Traxxion to install? I read you have to make a mod to the tubes

I had to send my front forks to them for machining.  They did a good job and as I try to remember it didn't take very long.  My Deuce handles very well with a light touch.  This is just one of many mods to the handling characteristics of my scoot.  I am happy with this mod.  Although if want bang for the buck, the Race Tech emulators and springs are hard to beat. 
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

Hilly13

Quote from: Scotty on January 25, 2020, 09:33:45 PM
Quote from: speedzter on January 25, 2020, 04:34:59 PM

Tried everything with the racetech springs and heard it all before exactly what you are saying. Read everything and talked to the "experts" and the normal folk who actually ride and bottom line is that progressive springs and gold valves work better together than racetech springs and gold valves.

Now you might have a different result and kudos to you if you do but I am never wasting my time with racetech springs ever again.
I'm sort of surprised you got that good of a result from the progressive spring Scotty, I can't recall the rates now but it seemed when I set my sag right with them I had lost most of the finer coils anyway, I eventually migrated to a single rate .95 spring from traxxion, messing with the gold valve spring weight and setting got it sorted for me with a lot of Rick help.
Just because its said don't make it so

Scotty

Quote from: Hilly13 on January 28, 2020, 08:56:26 PM
I'm sort of surprised you got that good of a result from the progressive spring Scotty, I can't recall the rates now but it seemed when I set my sag right with them I had lost most of the finer coils anyway, I eventually migrated to a single rate .95 spring from traxxion, messing with the gold valve spring weight and setting got it sorted for me with a lot of Rick help.

I don't know how to answer you other than if you are happy then that is the main point.
Gold valve and progressive springs work for me and the guy that bought the racetech springs off me 6 years ago reckons he is real close to getting them right.  :hyst:

Hilly13

Quote from: Scotty on January 28, 2020, 09:26:54 PM
Quote from: Hilly13 on January 28, 2020, 08:56:26 PM

I don't know how to answer you other than if you are happy then that is the main point.
Gold valve and progressive springs work for me and the guy that bought the racetech springs off me 6 years ago reckons he is real close to getting them right.  :hyst:
Yes well truth be told it took me a few years as well haha
Just because its said don't make it so

Hossamania

Makes you appreciate what the tuners do with suspensions on race bikes, doesn't it?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.