April 19, 2024, 09:05:59 AM

News:

Have a quick listen to my Shovel?

Started by Molly, January 24, 2020, 09:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly

Got my old Shovel back from the guy I sold it to about four or five years ago. It's only done about 450 miles since I last had it. Wanted to ask you guys to have a quick listen. I think there's a noise that's maybe the compensator - maybe not. Hard to tell to my 'Twin Cam accustomed' ears.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3xmj3btNDc

capn

For sure you got a noise there.Almost sounds like valve train.Have you checked lifter adjustment?

bump

Sounds like valve train noise, lifters or rocker arm end clearance. Does the noise go away after the
running about 2000 rpm then dropping to idle. If so check lifters. I have seen a loose primary chain cause a sound like that.

Molly

Thanks guys. I'm in the middle of preparing for a house move so can't tear into it for a couple of weeks but I'll let you know what I find.

JW113

Another vote for stuck tappet. If it really has been sitting for 5 years, probably start with pulling the tappets out, cleaning the hell out of them, reassemble and adjust.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

kd

:agree:   That's a good place to start after insuring there isn't any of the typical loose trim rattles going on.
KD

Molly

Thanks again. Oh, there are lots of trim rattles. Every exhaust shield for starters... As I said, got to get my house move done but one a much bigger garage space waiting for me. :-)

Rear wheel bearings need replacing. Anybody got specs  at all? Thanks.

I really need a manual and parts book I think.

FSG

450 in 5 yrs ..........  yes I'd just clean the tappets

need specs ........  I've had surgery and lenses in both eyes so let me take a look  :SM:

Molly

LOL. I'm as blind as a bat m'self.

My dad used to say that letting a car stand long-term did more damage than actually using it. Might be some truth to that. Certainly for some parts.

Belt was so tight I could barely move the bike. Crazy tight. I'll say this for it though. The gearbox is far better than the one in my '08 RK. Smooth and quiet changes. :-)

kd

Quote from: Molly on January 25, 2020, 06:10:16 PM
LOL. I'm as blind as a bat m'self.

My dad used to say that letting a car stand long-term did more damage than actually using it. Might be some truth to that. Certainly for some parts.

Belt was so tight I could barely move the bike. Crazy tight. I'll say this for it though. The gearbox is far better than the one in my '08 RK. Smooth and quiet changes. :-)

You might be lucky there was only 450 Miles put on it like that
KD

crock

Quote from: Molly on January 25, 2020, 04:26:51 PM
Thanks again. Oh, there are lots of trim rattles. Every exhaust shield for starters... As I said, got to get my house move done but one a much bigger garage space waiting for me. :-)

They are both available on this site. I don't remember where I found em but they are here
Crock

Lowrider!

I'd pop that outer primary off and inspect everything in there, yes there is some valve train noise. Does it have fresh engine oil?

Molly

Quote from: crock on January 26, 2020, 06:22:03 AM
Quote from: Molly on January 25, 2020, 04:26:51 PM

They are both available on this site. I don't remember where I found em but they are here

Thanks! I'll start hunting around the forum.

Quote from: Lowrider! on January 26, 2020, 07:14:22 PM
I'd pop that outer primary off and inspect everything in there, yes there is some valve train noise. Does it have fresh engine oil?

I've just done a five quart change actually. Got to source a drop-in filter locally (by which I mean within a 100k radius - I live in the middle of nowhere).

I emptied and thoroughly cleaned-out the oil tank. Must've ran an extra two quarts through too. Oil was filthy. Probably the stuff I put in it about five years ago.

I'm itching to get this thing on the road... :-)

JW113

Quote from: Molly on January 26, 2020, 08:58:31 PM
I emptied and thoroughly cleaned-out the oil tank. Must've ran an extra two quarts through too. Oil was filthy. Probably the stuff I put in it about five years ago.

And right there my friend is way you probably want to take a look those tappets. They don't play well with filth.

Good luck with it!

-JW

Molly

Getting to know it a bit more each day. Have the Clymer manual on the way but still haven't sourced a Factory one.

Checked the primary chain tension today and it was very tight. Not sure the clutch is original so took a pic. Oil was very low. Need to seal the primary maybe. Just reading-up on that.

crock

Quote from: Molly on January 28, 2020, 11:32:50 PM
Getting to know it a bit more each day. Have the Clymer manual on the way but still haven't sourced a Factory one.

Checked the primary chain tension today and it was very tight. Not sure the clutch is original so took a pic. Oil was very low. Need to seal the primary maybe. Just reading-up on that.

About where I run mine
Crock

JW113

Ditto here. Just touching the bottom of the clutch basket. Just need 8oz or so to keep the chain wet, no more.

-JW

Molly

Thanks guys.

I'll isolate the primary once I feel confident I understand exactly what I have to do.

I enjoy learning all this stuff but it's definitely a case of the more I learn the less I know.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge guys.

crock

Quote from: Molly on January 29, 2020, 08:28:45 PM
Thanks guys.

I'll isolate the primary once I feel confident I understand exactly what I have to do.

I enjoy learning all this stuff but it's definitely a case of the more I learn the less I know.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge guys.

If your retaining that much oil it's probably already done
Crock

Molly

No. I'd added a bit before taking that picture. The oil lines are still connected but not for long... :-)

Did a bit more digging today. Learned that it's got an Ultima digital ignition system (#53-644). Might be one of the reasons it starts much more easily than when I last owned it.

Need to source a riser cover. Guessing that'll have to come from the States as it'd be near impossible to find here in New Zealand.

JW113

What is a riser cover? Sorry, not familiar with that term.

-JW

Molly

Quote from: JW113 on January 31, 2020, 10:10:10 AM
What is a riser cover? Sorry, not familiar with that term.

-JW

I may have the wrong term, sorry. The aluminium cover for the handlebar clamps. Mine's had the clamps swapped-out for more modern, Fat Boy style clamps and in the process the cover has been separated from the bike (probably sitting on a shelf in a shed somewhere in New Zealand). I'd like to return the clamps to stock and find another cover.

david lee

Quote from: FSG on January 25, 2020, 05:09:03 PM
450 in 5 yrs ..........  yes I'd just clean the tappets

need specs ........  I've had surgery and lenses in both eyes so let me take a look  :SM:
good advice fsg

crock

Quote from: Molly on January 30, 2020, 09:35:04 PM
No. I'd added a bit before taking that picture. The oil lines are still connected but not for long... :-)

Did a bit more digging today. Learned that it's got an Ultima digital ignition system (#53-644). Might be one of the reasons it starts much more easily than when I last owned it.

Need to source a riser cover. Guessing that'll have to come from the States as it'd be near impossible to find here in New Zealand.

www.jpcycles.com/product/5000930/v-twin-manufacturing-handlebar-clamp-cover?redirectedKeyword=5000930&totalResult=1
Crock

hbkeith

You have 1 piece handlebars ? may be why has different risers , if thats a lifter noise you have a serious bad lifter , sounds like my compensator did on my FXR

Molly

Thanks for the link and further thoughts on the noise.

I've been all over it with a stethoscope and the valve train seems ok. Got the carb stripped for cleaning today so once it's back together I'll maybe do a better video.

Looks so much better without that huge air cleaner.

Molly

Needed to get my brake light working for the annual test. Wouldn't work off either lever so looked for a common fault starting with a simple bulb swap. Who'd have thought it. Turned out to be separate faults. Broken wire on the rear and a spade that'd become disconnected behind the headlight. Also fixed the carb's fuel leak so think it's ready for the test.

Little victories like this aren't much but I find them really rewarding.