April 23, 2024, 11:38:45 PM

News:

'92 Softail Ignition Switch

Started by hywystar, January 25, 2020, 06:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hywystar

Looking to replace my 4.2 gal tanks with a 3 gal. Sportster King tank, which means I have to either reposition key/ign sw or just use the kill switch on the handlebar and wire the lights into it. I'm far from an electrical tech so my question is would this damage anything like the microprocessor or anything?
Don't Ride Faster Than Your Angels Can Fly

calif phil

You can wire up an on/off toggle switch to replace the ign. switch.   Have you looked at the mess of wires between the two tanks?  Would they not be visible, from the side view?
You going to do away with the idiot lights as well?

hywystar

Quote from: calif phil on January 25, 2020, 12:50:30 PM
You can wire up an on/off toggle switch to replace the ign. switch.   Have you looked at the mess of wires between the two tanks?  Would they not be visible, from the side view?
You going to do away with the idiot lights as well?
Just gonna do the bare essentials-ignition and lights. Will scrap all else.

kd

KD

Dan89flstc

Quote from: hywystar on January 25, 2020, 08:39:18 PM

The ignition switch takes the power from the main breaker, and divides it into 3 circuits:

Accessory (turn sigs, brake lamp, horn)
Ignition (Start switch, coil)
Lights (headlight, running lights)

Without an ignition switch you will need to find a clean method to branch these circuits out from the main, and electrically protect these circuits in the event of a short.

Are you keeping handle bar switches or deleting them?
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

hywystar

Quote from: Dan89flstc on January 26, 2020, 02:25:40 PM
Quote from: hywystar on January 25, 2020, 08:39:18 PM

The ignition switch takes the power from the main breaker, and divides it into 3 circuits:

Accessory (turn sigs, brake lamp, horn)
Ignition (Start switch, coil)
Lights (headlight, running lights)

Without an ignition switch you will need to find a clean method to branch these circuits out from the main, and electrically protect these circuits in the event of a short.

Are you keeping handle bar switches or deleting them?
will keep the start and kill switch on the R/side, but will delete the left side completely and replace with just a clutch lever and mirror mount. Don't need directionals/horn.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

hywystar

Quote from: Hossamania on January 26, 2020, 04:24:39 PM
High beam?
think i'll wire a toggle somewhere for that. Don't plan much night riding, since my old, tired eyes don't gather much light anymore.

hywystar

Quote from: kd on January 25, 2020, 08:57:30 PM
Like this?    :smiled:

http://www.exilecycles.com/images/x-harleys/Softail-Bulldozer-MAIN.jpg
yep. except with a 21" Invader Mag front wheel, no front fender, 8" risers, apes, and a king tank on the top frame member, not the middle.

Dan89flstc

January 28, 2020, 09:05:43 AM #9 Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 09:14:00 AM by Dan89flstc
You could ditch the start button and it`s circuit, relay etc by using one of those push buttons on the end of the starter solenoid.

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

hywystar

Quote from: Dan89flstc on January 28, 2020, 09:05:43 AM
You could ditch the start button and it`s circuit, relay etc by using one of those push buttons on the end of the starter solenoid.
wanna keep the front brake so I need the master cyl. Might as well keep the start button/kill switch since it's all together. Thx to everyone for the helpful suggestions.