March 29, 2024, 04:34:34 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1994 Road King - LED Light Upgrade issue

Started by cycocycle, January 25, 2020, 08:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cycocycle

I installed an LED stop/tail  bulb my 1994 Road King and it was a great improvement.  Very bright and a very noticable difference between taillight and stoplight. To complete my lighting upgrade I fitted a H4 LED bulb to the headlight. Now when I switch it on the lights blink off every few seconds like in the video below. Each blink is accompanied by what I assume is the relay switching.
Any clue what might be the cause of this and how can it be sorted?I haven't converted the turn signals yet but I know they need resistors to prevent high speed flashing issues.
I really want to keep the led lights.

https://youtu.be/kyR65uBGriU

rigidthumper

That looks like a circuit breaker opening/resetting- not good.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

cycocycle

I thought that too after. Need to figure out why it's doing it.

Coyote

Remove the breaker and put a fuse in. Should do this anyways, so it won't be a wasted effort. Not sure why your LEDs would cause this but the current draw profile on LEDs is not constant like a regular bulb.

smoserx1

I would start by putting the stock headlight bulb back in.  Can you hear anything clicking when it blinks?  If the stock light resolves the issue test the LED directly from a car battery or similar and see how it reacts.