April 19, 2024, 10:45:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Leaking transmission '01 RoadKing

Started by Hossamania, January 25, 2020, 12:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

I have posted a couple times about my transmission leak of ten years, from the shifter seal and probably the pulley as well. It will be going in to get fixed hopefully soon.
My question is, is it worth it to have a new gearset dropped in at the same time? I have a very low mileage one (less than 1000 miles) complete assembled set sitting in my garage. Third gear is crunchy sometimes on mine, and with 115,000 miles on it, it's probably due for some internal inspection anyway, shifter pawl spring, shift drum, etc. Still works well though. The output bearing, race and seal probably need replacing, new throw out bearing should all be done. Will replacing the gearset just make it a little easier, and make sense?
Just a minor leak(s)...

[attach=0,msg1331420]
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

92flhtcu

I think it will (the newer gearset) serve you better in the bike than on the shelf at this point
Need a bigger garage

kd

January 25, 2020, 01:33:55 PM #2 Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 02:07:16 PM by kd
 :scratch:  Have you ever wished you had done something when you had the perfect opportunity but didn't?   :banghead:  How about buying or having something you intended to use but didn't?   :kick:  Do you think you'll get as many more miles out of it the way you treat it?   :slap:   :crook:  Can you afford to do this again?   :unsure:  Can you afford to not do it now?   :nix:

I guess it's your call Hoss.  If you're gonna do the bearings and other parts that you KNOW need to be done you're there already.  Then you'll have a spare you can recondition.  Can we help you with any engine mods while we're on the subject?   :hyst:
KD

Hossamania

Well, I thought about going to 110" for a while, but then figured 124", as long as I'm there... Which leads to new swingarm, chain drive, new mounts, exhaust, think I'll skip that for now.
Besides, I really like kicking people's asses with my 95".

I figure for the few extra hundred bucks the gearset install is really worth it. I just needed to get a good pep talk from my friends here on HTT! Thanks everybody for helping me spend my money...

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I would install the new set. The old one is coming out anyway. You sure that's only a Shift-Shaft Seal? Then re-build the old and have it on the shelf.
Tom

Hossamania

I think it's the shift shaft and the pulley seal. I'll have a new shifter lever put on too. I didn't know the old one had to come out to change the shift seal. Then it's a no brainer to swap out the set.

FSG

QuoteThen it's a no brainer to swap out the set.

:up:

change the countershaft end bearing while the trannie case is empty

perhaps a squirel cage inside the main gear

throw out bearing ......  go bigger, go baker, info is on HTT if you want to put together your own, don't buy a POS off the net

S&S IPB Race and a 3guyz Nut

what Ramps are you using, stock, 06, Muller, 2019 ?

what Clutch Cable are you  using ?

kd

KD

Hossamania

Stock ramps and original throw out bearing. Pro Clutch. Clutch cable is Drag Specialties, 72" for 16" apes. May as well change that too, probably 7 or 8 years old, 50,000 miles or more.
I'll have my Indy go through everything and pretty much rebuild the tranny with the quality pieces listed. I have no problem putting some money into it, it's due. I trust these guys, they did the 95" build and I have beat hell out of it for 15 years and 90,000 miles, always had good luck with them.

FSG

:up:

not casting doubt toward your indy

just that the closed end countershaft bearing 8977 is often overlooked

kd

..... probably because it can't just be pushed out with a dowel and a blob of grease.   :wink:
KD

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on January 25, 2020, 06:35:54 PM
..... probably because it can't just be pushed out with a dowel and a blob of grease.   :wink:

Sounds like my method. That's why I leave it to the guys that know what they're doing.

Eglider05

January 30, 2020, 07:47:02 PM #12 Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:58:54 PM by Eglider05
It's really not too bad. A couple sockets, a C-clamp and a little heat.

Rick

CndUltra88

Quote from: kd on January 25, 2020, 01:33:55 PM
:scratch:  Have you ever wished you had done something when you had the perfect opportunity but didn't?   :banghead:  How about buying or having something you intended to use but didn't?   :kick:  Do you think you'll get as many more miles out of it the way you treat it?   :slap:   :crook:  Can you afford to do this again?   :unsure:  Can you afford to not do it now?   :nix:

I guess it's your call Hoss.  If you're gonna do the bearings and other parts that you KNOW need to be done you're there already.  Then you'll have a spare you can recondition.  Can we help you with any engine mods while we're on the subject?   :hyst:

Aint it just marking its spot?
You doing the work hoss ?
Seems a no brainer if you are and the replacement is of trusted bits and pieces.
Then again maybe a fuggly is in the cards.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Hossamania

Am I doing the work? Hell no, I know my limitations.
I've been saying it's just a small spot, it will be fine. For ten years.
On a ride a few years ago, one of the guys comes in and says "Hoss, I don't think you're going any further today, you've got a bad leak, there's a big puddle under your bike." I figured it had finally let loose and dumped all the oil. So, I relax, finish my beer, and walk out to take a look. I had to laugh, there was about a 2" spot under the bike. I said, "That's not a leak, that's just a drip. It will be fine."
Evidentially they had never been around an old leaky Shovel before.

rigidthumper

While you (they) are in there, replace the shifter shaft sleeve.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hossamania

Yes, I have a feeling that by the time it's done, it will pretty much be a total rebuild.

Hossamania

I realized I had not posted my results. This Fall I had the transmission rebuilt with a very low mileage complete gearset that I had, all new seals, shifter pawl, bearings, throw out, etc.
Also found the belt had a few rocks embedded in it, so new belt, new pulleys.
The tech said surprisingly the old gears looked just fine, the tranny probably didn't need a rebuild, just new seals and would have been fine. (115,000 miles on it)
It shifts like a dream, though to be honest, the old one wasn't bad, except for an occasionally crunchy third gear. That's gone now.
And, not a drop of oil to be found. I can park it on nice driveways again.

CndUltra88

Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Scotty

Quote from: FSG on January 25, 2020, 04:40:28 PM
perhaps a squirel cage inside the main gear

Tell me more about this Gary

thumper 823

I just did all of mine.......surprising how fast gear parts add up!
My thread is on here somewhere ...
But the BIG ENEMY is the sleeve.
If you are going to keep the same bearing go with the S&S so it will not walk into the main gear and destroy it !
Personally, I would go with a  newer style primary bearing and get rid of it ....but as usual some dont like the idea..
With a belt drive one has to. [attach=0,msg1377797]
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Hossamania

Quote from: thumper 823 on February 11, 2021, 12:06:45 PM
I just did all of mine.......surprising how fast gear parts add up!
My thread is on here somewhere ...
But the BIG ENEMY is the sleeve.
If you are going to keep the same bearing go with the S&S so it will not walk into the main gear and destroy it !
Personally, I would go with a  newer style primary bearing and get rid of it ....but as usual some dont like the idea..
With a belt drive one has to. [attach=0,msg1377797]

It's done already months ago, not sure what the final configuration was, should last another 115,000 miles.

Hossamania

I should mention that the shop uses a transmission rebuild kit from S&S for its transmission rebuilds, it has all new gaskets, bearings, miscellaneous parts needed, it probably has the upgraded bearing and race for the main drive. I didn't ask, wasn't going to start questioning his every move. They build a lot of hotrods, and have dealt with destroyed trannys often, they know what works.
Like I said, they built my 95" motor over 15 years ago and it is still hammering 90,000 miles later, same valve springs, same lifters. Either they (and I) got lucky, or they actually know what they are doing.

thumper 823

I read too fast,  confused, CRS...... ETC
If they fixed your transmission then they should fix the leak?
I am not sure what you are asking for help with?
What helps is if you are running wet primary put a dab of Marvel Mystery oil in
Either the trans or the Primary and that will make it EZ to see who is guilty.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Coyote

Quote from: thumper 823 on February 12, 2021, 09:43:25 AM

It would be much appreciated if you spent some time reading these threads BEFORE you post.  :crook:

Hossamania

Quote from: thumper 823 on February 12, 2021, 09:43:25 AM

The transmission didn't really "need" fixing, it just needed the leaks stopped. Mission accomplished.
I did one of those "as long as you're in there" extra money spends to have it rebuilt at the same time.
Good to go, beat hell out of it for a couple months before winter set in.

Sinker

Might be an opportune time to trade up to a Road Glide.

Hossamania