April 15, 2024, 11:22:48 PM

News:

Factory M8 Softail Exhaust

Started by Harley Pilot, January 25, 2020, 04:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harley Pilot

Would the Factory head pipes with say a set of Rinehart slip Ons be better with a 475 cam than say a Bassani Road Rage with short muffler??

Harley Pilot

I really liked my Bassani Road Rage but after my 475 cam install it got crazy loud. Looking for solid advice on a system that will support the cam change without being obnoxious.

therocket

I have no answers for you...I have a sound issue I don't like after installing a Woods WM8-22X in my Heritage 114. I retained the stock head pipe and put on S&S 3.25 Race Version Slipons with the DB reducers out. I'd say 90% of the time it sounds great except at about a 1/4 throttle with a light load the mufflers sound like a jack hammer. On the highway is when the jack hammering really comes alive. With the DB reducers installed the jack hammering pretty much goes away but so does the sound after which above 45mph I can't even hear the exhaust anymore.

I was thinking about trying different slipons but that gets expensive as I already tried Vance&Hines Eliminator 300's with quiet baffle, Tab Performance 1 3/4 and 2 1/4 inch baffles and finally the S&S Race 3.25 Slipons. I really like this cam as posted else ware but now with more seat time I'm wondering if I should've stayed at Stage 1. If it don't sound right I ain't happy.

My next step was to try the Rineharts 3.5 Slipons but I surely know I'll be disappointed when I get my Heritage on the highway and I hear the jack hammer. So bottom line for me is I've got great performance but I'm chasing a sound I just can't seem to get right with the upgraded cams. Maybe it's just me as I age but I don't see too many posts about other guys trying to get their Stage 2 sound right. I wish I was one of them.

Sunny Jim

'To the Max'  (from this site) in Australia, uses a stock pipe on a SS 124 , 475 cam and a  modified standard  muffler. His bike rocks! Sounds great too!

OldMike

I have the Bassani RR III 50th and WM8-22X cam in my 114" Low Rider S. I've been trying ear plugs to help but this system is still loud, even during steady RPM cruising, it isn't helping my Tinnitus.
I have looked at a lot, if not all of the 2-1 exhausts for Softail. I used the S&S Super Street 2-1 race version with DB insert on my last bike, a M8 107" Low Rider. The Super Street race is quiet leaving my neighborhood and during slow cruising and steady RPM freeway cruising but really wakes up when on the throttle. I'm thinking about going back to the Super Street, so this thread is just reinforcing what I have learned.

SOCS

Quote from: OldMike on May 04, 2020, 05:36:42 PM
I have the Bassani RR III 50th and WM8-22X cam in my 114" Low Rider S. I've been trying ear plugs to help but this system is still loud, even during steady RPM cruising, it isn't helping my Tinnitus.
I have looked at a lot, if not all of the 2-1 exhausts for Softail. I used the S&S Super Street 2-1 race version with DB insert on my last bike, a M8 107" Low Rider. The Super Street race is quiet leaving my neighborhood and during slow cruising and steady RPM freeway cruising but really wakes up when on the throttle. I'm thinking about going back to the Super Street, so this thread is just reinforcing what I have learned.

The Super Street is a good pipe. I ran the race version on my 114" FXFBS with the CR480 cam and a Durwood tune, the sheet is in the Dyno section. Builds good early torque and is not loud unless you want it to be.

OldMike

Quote from: SOCS on May 04, 2020, 06:34:13 PM
Quote from: OldMike on May 04, 2020, 05:36:42 PM

The Super Street is a good pipe. I ran the race version on my 114" FXFBS with the CR480 cam and a Durwood tune, the sheet is in the Dyno section. Builds good early torque and is not loud unless you want it to be.
Thanks, I just ordered it.

VernDiesel

"The Super Street race (with DB insert) is quiet leaving my neighborhood and during slow cruising and steady RPM freeway cruising but really wakes up when on the throttle. I'm thinking about going back to the Super Street, so this thread is just reinforcing what I have learned."

I have the Super Street with catalysist but otherwise is exactly as you described. I don't know where the cat starts to become much of a restriction but judging by the dyno tuneing done to mine its somewhere north of 116 HP.  Lol which I have no doubt you will exceed.  :up: :SM:

VernDiesel

OldMike

Quote from: VernDiesel on May 08, 2020, 05:29:05 AM
Curious I looked at the S&S online catalog and it doesn't list the LRS. 
https://view.publitas.com/ss-cycle/510-0728-m8-brochure-2020/page/10-11
It's the same as the standard Low Rider, I'm getting the 550-0788.

lesguns

I put Rhinehart slipons on my 18 Deluxe and really really like them-sound great.

Slider1950

Quote from: therocket on May 04, 2020, 01:28:04 PM
I have no answers for you...I have a sound issue I don't like after installing a Woods WM8-22X in my Heritage 114. I retained the stock head pipe and put on S&S 3.25 Race Version Slipons with the DB reducers out. I'd say 90% of the time it sounds great except at about a 1/4 throttle with a light load the mufflers sound like a jack hammer. On the highway is when the jack hammering really comes alive. With the DB reducers installed the jack hammering pretty much goes away but so does the sound after which above 45mph I can't even hear the exhaust anymore.

I was thinking about trying different slipons but that gets expensive as I already tried Vance&Hines Eliminator 300's with quiet baffle, Tab Performance 1 3/4 and 2 1/4 inch baffles and finally the S&S Race 3.25 Slipons. I really like this cam as posted else ware but now with more seat time I'm wondering if I should've stayed at Stage 1. If it don't sound right I ain't happy.

My next step was to try the Rineharts 3.5 Slipons but I surely know I'll be disappointed when I get my Heritage on the highway and I hear the jack hammer. So bottom line for me is I've got great performance but I'm chasing a sound I just can't seem to get right with the upgraded cams. Maybe it's just me as I age but I don't see too many posts about other guys trying to get their Stage 2 sound right. I wish I was one of them.
How did it sound with the Eliminator 300's with the quiet baffles? Did the jack hammer go away?