April 19, 2024, 06:29:13 PM

News:

KOYO / Torrington B - 148 bearings

Started by motorhogman, January 26, 2020, 07:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorhogman

I have the cam chest open for tensioners and thinking about replacing the inner cam bearing again.. 01 FLHT Stock Box

I replaced them about 20,000 mi ago.

I see lots of them for sale on the inter web.

Some give max rpm specs some don't.

1st question is should I replace them just because I'm there ?

2nd question.. I know, No INA bearings.. Are there any other acceptable brands ?

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Coyote

I think INA makes a full complement bearing now as well.

Skin

The way I look at it, is your replacing tensioners and all that material has been rolling around in the cam chest, so why not replace the bearings. No INA, Torrington is good.

smoserx1

Ever since I have had my bike I have heard that INA made a full compliment 148 size bearing but I have never seen one.  One time I got hold an electronic copy of INA's catalog and I couldn't find anything but the caged 148 size bearing.  Might as well stick with what you know is available.  At 20K to me replacing it is a toss up.  If you already have the tools why not?  Somebody posted somewhere once that too many changes might enlarge the holes in the case.  Don't know how much I believe that.  I have replaced mine twice, each at roughly 50000 mile intervals.  Be sure you oil the rollers of the new ones real good first, they tend to have a sticky protectant from the factory that inhibits their movement at first, at least that has been my limited experience.

Coyote

Suburban performance was sending INA full complementary bearings in their kits.

hattitude

Quote from: motorhogman on January 26, 2020, 07:12:48 AM
I have the cam chest open for tensioners and thinking about replacing the inner cam bearing again.. 01 FLHT Stock Box

I replaced them about 20,000 mi ago.

I see lots of them for sale on the inter web.

Some give max rpm specs some don't.

1st question is should I replace them just because I'm there ?

2nd question.. I know, No INA bearings.. Are there any other acceptable brands ?

If you installed the Koyo/Torrington B-148 bearings 20K miles ago, I'd leave them in there...

I haven't read about any issues with them....

Hossamania

Mine have 90,000 miles on them. Same with the B lifters. I might be due...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

motorhogman

Thanks for the replies.

I do have the removal and install tool from Heartland tools.  Just found a set of Torringtons for $18.00 shipping included. 

I'm going to change them..

BTW INA bearings are made in the town next to me.. I know a couple of guys that work there. They are well aware of all the bad publicity with the bearings they supplied HD.

FSG

QuoteBTW INA bearings are made in the town next to me.. I know a couple of guys that work there. They are well aware of all the bad publicity with the bearings they supplied HD.

INA Bearings are not bad, it's just that the bearing used by HD are not up to the task, put a Timken/Torrington/Koyo Non Full Compliment Bearing in there and it'll end up the same as the INA

jls 64

January 26, 2020, 06:49:22 PM #9 Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 06:19:23 PM by FSG
QuoteBTW INA bearings are made in the town next to me.. I know a couple of guys that work there. They are well aware of all the bad publicity with the bearings they supplied HD.

INA Bearings are not bad, it's just that the bearing used by HD are not up to the task, put a Timken/Torrington/Koyo Non Full Compliment Bearing in there and it'll end up the same as the INA

:agree:
js

motorhogman

January 27, 2020, 05:04:01 AM #10 Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 06:20:07 PM by FSG
Quote from: jls 64 on January 26, 2020, 06:49:22 PM

Yep...Harley screws up and INA got all the bad publicity.  Their bearings can't be to bad. They are in high demand.  That factory runs 24 / 7. 

Norton Commando

January 27, 2020, 05:50:43 AM #11 Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 06:20:22 PM by FSG
Quote from: jls 64 on January 26, 2020, 06:49:22 PM

I agree.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

smoserx1

The last ones I installed in my bike were screaming eagle 24017-10.  They said "torrington" on the actual bearings.  They also have a 24018-10 for the 07 and up engines.  That was when I did my conversion cam setup and it was somewhere in the range of 60000 miles ago (I did not record the exact mileage like I do now).  The lifters are definitely louder at startup than they used to be and take longer to get quiet, so I am thinking about doing  what you are doing.  I just despise taking that exhaust off to get to those cams.  I think that is half the total work.  Good luck on your project.  Let us know how it turns out.

motorhogman

Quote from: smoserx1 on January 27, 2020, 05:54:32 AM
The last ones I installed in my bike were screaming eagle 24017-10.  They said "torrington" on the actual bearings.  They also have a 24018-10 for the 07 and up engines.  That was when I did my conversion cam setup and it was somewhere in the range of 60000 miles ago (I did not record the exact mileage like I do now).  The lifters are definitely louder at startup than they used to be and take longer to get quiet, so I am thinking about doing  what you are doing.  I just despise taking that exhaust off to get to those cams.  I think that is half the total work.  Good luck on your project.  Let us know how it turns out.

I usually remove the exhaust system when doing this.  This time I cheated.PB Blaster,  removed the foot board, removed the front and rear flanges, the transmission mounting clamp,loosened the bracket on the starter and was able to get the front pipe off. 

I agree.. exhaust system is the worst part of this job.

BTW I'm replacing my lifters just because they have somewhere between 50 an 60 thousand mi on them. No other reason. I'm putting in Johnson Hylift "slow bleed down" lifters..

hogpipes1

Speaking  of  INA cam bearings, what yrs did H-D use these for the cams.?  I have  a 85 evo, 2000 sporty,  my 03  T-CAM  For sure .?Thanks.

smoserx1

QuoteSpeaking  of  INA cam bearings, what yrs did H-D use these for the cams.?  I have  a 85 evo, 2000 sporty,  my 03  T-CAM  For sure .?Thanks.

AFAIK all twin cams have used them, and they are the caged ones, not the full compliment ones.  The 99 through 06 used a 7/8 inch bearing sometimes referred to as the B148 and 07 used a 1 inch sometimes called the B168 size.  I believe the 06 Dyna engines used the bigger size.  Don't know about evos sportys or M8s

FSG

Quote from: hogpipes1 on January 27, 2020, 09:12:26 AM
Speaking  of  INA cam bearings, what yrs did H-D use these for the cams.?  I have  a 85 evo, 2000 sporty,  my 03  T-CAM  For sure .?Thanks.

HD 9058  ...... '58 to '90   was an INA Bearing

the 03 TC is an INA

the Sporty will be a bush