April 25, 2024, 07:27:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2010 compensator recommendation

Started by Flhfxd, January 26, 2020, 10:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flhfxd

I changed the starter clutch in my buddies 2010 FLHX. He was certain that it was the culprit for starter grinding noise. But that's not the problem so now I'm thinking compensator. So what's the best choice for replacement? The bike is stock.
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

Hossamania

Make sure the battery is in very good shape.
The HD comp seems to be the best choice now.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

I would use the current replacement, the SE unit, they're the same now. You'll need the later model alternator rotor with the new compensator.

rigidthumper

Latest SE comp (42200064A) seems to work as well as anything out there. Comes with a glue in oil diverter tray to help keep the comp lubed.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kd

It probably is the culprit if your battery is top condition.  The 2014 + SE comp is probably your best option.  I believe it comes with the new torx comp bolt and you will need a 1/2 " drive # 70 torx bit socket for torquing it.

Do this ....  http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=82010.msg917659#msg917659

The shims are usually a stock item "if" you need them.  Look for a deal on a rotor.
KD

rigidthumper

The 2010 should have the correct rotor for the SE comp.

kd

Quote from: rigidthumper on January 26, 2020, 11:22:52 AM
The 2010 should have the correct rotor for the SE comp.

What year is the change?
KD

Ohio HD

thirdgear

My 2010 flhtcu had the spring pack attached to the rotor

FLFBRider

Just over a year ago I replaced my comp. in my 09'TC.
At that time everyone was recommending the Baker, so that's what I bought. It's been working fine. Now everyone seems to be going with the SE. What changed?

Ohio HD

Flhfxd

His battery is new. And verified. Will advise him to get SE. Thx for the comments.
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

rbabos

Quote from: FLFBRider on January 26, 2020, 04:24:43 PM
Just over a year ago I replaced my comp. in my 09'TC.
At that time everyone was recommending the Baker, so that's what I bought. It's been working fine. Now everyone seems to be going with the SE. What changed?
You will get there eventually.
Ron

rigidthumper

I thought my 2010 came with the updated rotor- I was wrong  :embarrassed: - the new setup was in 2011. I installed the updated rotor and SE comp when I put the hair dryer on it.

kd

My 2011 was an early off the line manufacture date (01/11) that had B lifters still.  They were using up the B lifter supply before the C lifter entered the manufacturing stream and only the early TC's got them. 

The rotor was in fact the later model version too.  IMO it may be possible the reverse happened where the planned rotor change could have had parts in the manufacturing line being fitted to the late 2010 TC's because the old version destined to be obsolete were used up already.  Maybe someone with a late 2010 build can answer that.
KD

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Flhfxd on January 26, 2020, 10:58:25 AM
I changed the starter clutch in my buddies 2010 FLHX. He was certain that it was the culprit for starter grinding noise. But that's not the problem so now I'm thinking compensator. So what's the best choice for replacement? The bike is stock.

Evo Industries.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"