S&S camplate work with HD2020 oil pump ?

Started by yobtaf103, January 26, 2020, 09:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yobtaf103

Got a version2 S&S camplate without the early wear plate.
S&S now doing the Seal on their latest pumps, to upgrade $469 new S&S pump required
Makes the HD pump cost effective, if it fits ?

92flhtcu

even though the latest S&S pump has the groove for the seal, it is up to the end user whether to use a seal or not. My S&S Rep told me it will work just fine with out it. The pump does NOT come with the seal, it is only available through HD and it is not in the early parts books.
Painful as it may be, a call to S&S Tech may be worthwhile on this one
Need a bigger garage

Distance

I've been thinking the same thing. I currently have a S&S oil pump and cam plate, still getting 12oz in the Crankcase with a 124 build. I ordered a new 2020 HD pump but wondering if I could use the S&S cam plate or my 1st gen H-D Cam plate # 25400131

Sunny Jim

Is it possible to machine the SS pump and if a seal?!
More the point, has anyone tried it?

Gliding Joe

Yes one can use the HD 2020 pump w a S&S cam plate.... the cam plates are identical with oil journals and such.  As for machining a back plate on an older version S&S pump, it can be done successfully but DO NOT have the groove cut deeper then .090 or you will punch through to the oil suction side for the cam box.   

BigT

Quote from: Distance on January 30, 2020, 05:58:19 PM
I've been thinking the same thing. I currently have a S&S oil pump and cam plate, still getting 12oz in the Crankcase with a 124 build. I ordered a new 2020 HD pump but wondering if I could use the S&S cam plate or my 1st gen H-D Cam plate # 25400131
I had the same issue with the early S&S pump and plate and a large amount of oil remaining in the sump in my 124". I installed the newest HD pump with the 2017 stock plate. I have checked several times over the last 3000 miles and only have an ounce or two in the sump. No reason at all to use the S&S pump or plate in my opinion.