April 23, 2024, 04:02:26 AM

News:

Clutch recommendation

Started by Ironpig9, January 28, 2020, 08:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironpig9

Ladies and Gentlemen, Have a 01 Ultra with 75K on the clock. Time for a new clutch (plates)(that's another story) and am wondering which clutch to buy: OEM, Barnett, extra plate......? Not doing any high speeds or quick pulls off the stop lights, just straight forward touring solo and two up. Bike is an 88-inch with K&N breather, cam conversion with Andrews 26N, and Power Commander 3. As always, your input is greatly appreciated. :hug:
"The road goes on forever...."

smoserx1

I would just do to Dennis Kirk and order a set of friction disks, they are usually sold as a set.  If you feel like you need the steel plates I believe those are sold separately, seem like they are about $8 a piece if memory serves me.  If you just ride normally however I am wondering why your clutch plates even need replacing?

Ironpig9

Smoserx - as I said another story. Was on a ride from NC to Roswell and then into eastern AZ, southern NM, down to Big Bend and then back to NC. In middle Tx I noticed the primary leaking and not knowing how long it had leaked I decided to go to the nearest HD dealer which was in Lubbock. They pulled the outer primary off in the afternoon, found the leak etc. and told me it should be ready by 2 the next day. I showed up at 2, picked up the bike and off I went with my very patient riding buddy. Got to Roswell and noticed that the clutch was dragging - wanting to creep when stopped. I was like "damn, they didn't properly adjust the clutch". I was staying next to the HD shop so the next morning I went in and asked how much for a lower end clutch adjustment. "$90 per hour" I was told. No way. My buddy had tools so I put the bike on its right side, pulled the derby cover etc and did a clutch push rod adj. and cable adj. I was sure all would be good. Not so. Still was dragging like crazy. I did one more adj. another morning and then just went with it. When I got back to NC I emptied the primary. I was shocked. The primary had 52 oz of fluid in it. No wonder it was dragging. I changed to fluid which was new when I began the tripi (it was coal black), did another adj. but the damage was done. Road the bike from NC to Portland, Oregon and back. By that time it started wanting to creep again. Dragging like hell. So, I'm getting ready to sell the bike and I'm not going to pass along a problem to the new owner. That's bad Karma in my book. So, I agree with you, the mileage prob doesn't warrant a new set of plates but it needs them.
SO, what plates do you recommend?

04rkryder

OEM is fine. check with California Phil (HTT vendor)

Ken R

It's hard to beat the OEM clutch.  (not to be confused with the Screamin' Eagle replacement clutch).  I've changed dozens, maybe hundreds of clutches over the years in skills competition motorcycles and have experience with just about every aftermarket brand available.  We all seem to return to the stock plates.

It's really rare to need the steel plates.  In 15 years of clutch work, I've only needed to replace a few due to warpage.   If they're blackened, I clean them with 200 then burnish with 400 grit. 

Ken

Ironpig9

Thanks for the input guys. I'll check in with California Phil and hopefully all will be well and I can find a buyer. The bike, although older and with some mileage, has been a good tourer. All but about 5K has been touring. I ride my RK locally and on shorter trips. Thanks again. :smiled:

motorhogman

If you ride a touring bike like a touring bike OEM clutches are fine.  I changed plates and friction discs in my 01 FLHT at 50,000 mi. if I hadn't already bought the new parts I probably wouldn't have changed them.

After 50,000 mi there were no warped plates and every friction disc was better than the SM spec for changing them.

Last time I had the primary apart i checked the plates and friction discs and all were in excellent shape.. They probably had around 42,000 mi on them.

I do ride this bike like a touring machine.. All the mi on it are mine.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

jsachs1

I use Alto Carbonite extra plate clutches in 99 % of replacements. If the customer is a "hammer", I'll also use an Alto, S&S, or SE heavy duty clutch spring. All of those mentioned springs are the same, and WON'T increase the pull by much.
John